Montego Bay, Cozumel, Grand Cayman + Wheelchair=Great Vacation!!

CruiseGoer2107

I went to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel in June on The Carnival Conquest. I had a super time!! I had just had knee surgery about 2 1/2 weeks before the cruise and was in a wheel chair, but I still had a blast. (I'm 21 and didn't know I would have to have the surgery...=( I couldn't walk!! Anyway, we hadn't booked a tour or anything in Mo Bay. When we got off the boat we went into the little pier/shopping area and asked what we could do given my situation. Incredibly they had a wheel chair van!! The man that we went with was amazing and very knowledgable. He took us all around Mo Bay for 1 hour ($30.00) He then dropped us off at the beach. He left us there for two hours. They had lifeguards there too!! They were so nice!! They picked me up and carried me to the water and gave me a floatie to float in. They have cokes and snacks there if you are interested. The only thing I did not like, was that there were two ladies selling jewelery and clothing. They wouldn't leave my mom alone!! Other than that it was great. We even met a guy who wanted to sell us some weed. We said no thank you and he never asked us again. He was a very interesting person to talk to. He did want to smoke in front of us though, but we asked him politely not to and he went on his way. After we were done at the beach, our driver picked us up again. We asked him to take us to get some Jamiacan food. He took us to this great little place by a gas station. It was an open-air restaurant and the serve jerk. Their jerk chicken was to die for!!! It's not like jerky (that's what i thought it would be), it was their version of barbeque. He then took us shopping. He was so nice!! He stayed with us the whole day and was very smart. He told us about the economics, schools, people, everything. All in all it was absolutely fantastic and only $80.00!!! (That includes the $20.00 we paid to get onto the beach and the original $30.00 (this was for four people))

In Grand Cayman we booked the Stingray tour with Moby Dick tours. That was so much fun!! We met them at the pier and they took us to a bus. The bus driver was awesome!! All these people were trying to get on the bus and he made everyone get off so that I could get on. He had to pick me up onto the bus because I couldn't walk. He then only let all the women and children on-then the men. There were a lot of people and a couple women were standing up b/c there was no more room, but he made the men give there seats up. He kept saying that the disabled, women and children will ALWAYS have priority on his bus. (I thought it was very nice of him) Once we got to the boat some of the men that worked there carried me onto the boat, got my wheel chair and everything for me. I don't have to sit in the wheel chair so I sat on the bench and the tucked my wheel chair away. When it was time to get in the water the carried me to the side, place me on my butt and knudged me in with my inner tube. Then they also carried me out when it was time to go.(pretty much the same stuff occurred when we were leaving...very helpful!!)They took us snorkeling for about 30 minutes (I was in an inner tube with my face in the water.... Picture it...a 21 yr old girl trying to snorkel with this huge brace on her leg immobilizing it, in an inner tube...aren't I a weirdo?!?) and then we went to the stingrays!! What beautiful animals!! They were so gentle!! Their vaccuum mouths were scary at first but not in the end. Don't foget to kiss the sting ray for 7 years of good luck!! (According to the guides) Our boat was good size. There were probably about 40 people on it. They serve lemonade and punch for the boat ride. We saw the cruise line's tour boat and they were on a two story one...standing only. We had benches!! It is a good 30-40 min boat ride. Long time to stand if you ask me. The cost for booking on-line was I believe $30 or $35 dollars. If you booked when you got there it was $5 extra. Still a lot cheaper than the cruise!! When we were finished they took us back to where the cruise boats were. We had plenty of time to walk around shop a little before heading back!!

In Cozumel, we went to Chankunub Park (spelling?) They have bontanical gardens, Mayan ruins, snorkeling, beaches, restaurants, sea otter and dolphin shows and the dolphin encounters. It was pretty easy getting around in my wheelchair here, except for when we wanted to go eat. My sister managed to drag me and my wheelchair across the sand, but it was hard work. On our way out a man that worked there stopped and helped and let us know that they have these special chair things with big wheels on it to go across the sand in. They were located by the dolphin discovery people and from what I understand are free to use if you need to. We booked a dolphin encounter thing for my sister. She played with the dolphins and got to do lots of stand up tricks with them for I think $110 online. It was a lot more with the boat or when you got there. The cruise boat takes you to a different dolphin place and from what I heard, it was mediocre. My sister was in the water for a little over an hour and loved it. I was able to wheel myself down the pier and watch her close up which was cool!! However, we ate at there restaurant and did not like it at all!!! We shopped a little before heading back to the boat too. (Right by the boat) If you go into town be careful. We drove around it. The streets are very crowded and look uneven to me...Oh, if you dont like frogs, dont go into the Mayan Ruin area. There are probably millions of little frogs bouncing around!!

All in all we had a great trip. I thought Chankunub Park was the most breath taking though. It was absolutely gorgeous. If you have any questions you can e-mail me at ManyWheat at AOL dot com.

It does sound like you had a great cruise and a wonderful time even though you had just recovered from surgery and were confined to a wheelchair. I'm sure that this experience has enlightened you as to some of the difficulties that those in wheelchairs/disbled face. You were also very fortunate that you met so many nice, helpful people. Oh, that it could be that way everywhere, but unfortuneately it is not. :( I do wish you a full recovery. :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an extensive review of your excursions. It was great!

Do you have the contact information for the taxi driver in Jamaica who had the wheelchair accessible van and was so helpful? If you have that, please share it with others, as it is very helpful for disabled cruisers to have that information so that advance arrangements can be made rather than depending on luck that the taxi driver will be available when the cruse ship docks.

Also, what is the name of the beach in Jamaica? Is it Doctors Beach?

Thanks also about the information about Moby Dick tours in Grand Cayman. Did they have the inner tube for you to use or was that something you had brought? Did you also have a snorkel vest?

Archived