Mercury -- need reassurance!

Xoe

I've just read 3 recent Mercury reviews which have me very worried! The reviews report that the Mercury is in shabby condition, that the Sky Deck suites and CC cabins are subject to early morning noise from overhead joggers, and that the rear CC cabins (1240 & 1241) are subject to noisy disturbances from basketball players just behind that area.

That's exactly where we're booked for an October 5-day family group cruise planned as a special treat for an elderly couple: our staterooms are 1240, 1241, 1237, 1233. I've never cruised on Celebrity/Mercury before, and selected this cruise for its length and itinerary which are suitable for an age-90 couple and their family members.

Has anyone been in those staterooms/suites, and/or on the Mercury recently? Can you confirm or contradict these reports? Can you reassure me that I've not made a big mistake in booking this cruise?

We were on the Mercury in May (4th time on her), and shabby...not a bit! As grand as ever. A couple of years back we had a cabin on Sky Deck, and just once in awhile heard the sound of someone walking over us...it really wasn't a problem. Each cruise is so individual...so go, have fun, and enjoy this ship. We'll be back on her Oct. 21st, so that kinda tells you how much we enjoy the Mercury.

Karyn

The Mercury is GREAT!!! It was my first cruise and I loved it. I didn't find anything wrong with it. The jogging track is actually on the Sky Deck and isn't over any cabins. There is a small little deck above you where people walk around when there is something to see, like the glacier or cruising a fjord. When I was walking the Sky Deck (just for fun) I didn't hear any noise from above! Everything looks great on the ship. The restaurant is beautiful, same with all the lounges, and the theater.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

-Chris

We were on the Mercury last September and she was in fantastic shape. We absolutely loved that ship and crew. It was one of the very best cruises that we have been on and we have been on 17. It's been almost a year since we sailed on her so we don't have real recent first hand information but They certainly were taking very good care of her last year.

we went on a 10 day mexican coastal cruise out of san diego in Jan.-it was our first celebrity cruise and really liked it-everything was class-esp. the waitstaff and food! we went on another cel. cruise in march on the Horiizon-that needs, and is being put out to sea in europe-we are booked on the millinium in Jan. excpect great things,too.

We stayed in 1200 last year and never heard a peep from joggers. The jogging track is around the pool not above these cabins.

As to the basketball courts, they don't get a lot of use and it's usually in the middle of the day. I wouldn't hesitate booking these cabins.

As I stated a few times before, we thought we were going backwards after being on a number of brand spanking new ships! Not at all! A very slight touch of wear here and there but we were surprised and impressed in her upkeep overall! Great ship and excellant time! Enjoy her if you choose her!

Thanks so much. I was having nightmares imagining I'd spent other people's money booking us "the cruise from hell" instead of an idyllic 5 day experience. It will be a first cruise experience for 3 of our group of 7, including the elderly man, and the first time on Celebrity for all of us.

If anyone has stayed in the specific staterooms we've booked (1241, 1240, 1233, 1237), I'll appreciate hearing your feedback. The negative review mentioned #1241 (my husband's & mine) had a failing toilet and a worn-out look. Oh I hope not!!

Xoe,

We will be in 1200 on the Oct 3 cruise. We absolutely love that area on all the class "C" ships, Mercury, Galaxy, and the Century.

You will be sooo close to the waffle station, they are absolutely great!

Astrid

Hi Astrid,

Thanks for your feedback.

We're on Oct. 3 also, so perhaps we'll meet on Sky Deck. (Look for a group of 7 people, 2 very elderly in wheelchairs.)

Xoe

I appreciate the link to the CC thread. As it happens, the adjoining room capability may be a plus for us since our elders (89 & 91) are in 1233, next to 1241, which is ours.

I still haven't figured out why the person who posted the Mercury review reported overhead early-morning jogging waking her each morning at 6:00. Any ideas on that?

We chose this location for ease of wheelchairing to elevators and then down to buffet or dining room -- AND because we thought it would be peaceful and quiet on a high deck. Makes perfect sense for our situation -- assuming it's NOT like being next to a gym (basketball) and beneath a marathon foot race!

Xoe,

There is a public area above the Skydeck where people will go for a stroll, etc. I guess someone could go for a jog there, but I have never seen anyone do this. That does not mean it never happens, but I don't think it is common.

I have never seen many people on that deck and definitely never had any problems with noise because of it.

The area is really kind of secluded, the reason I like it and you are right, the location is very convenient!

Astrid

Archived