Kon-Tiki Party Tour-experiences/stories/photos?

donlb

Hey! We did it and LOVED it! We had a picture-perfect weather day and the ride through the harbor is so nice and relaxing. The steel drum band was playing and all the free rum punch you want. They had a bar for you to purchase other drinks, too, I think. We stuck with the rum punch. They take you up to this "private" beach to lay out on, walk on, or swim for a while. You actually step down onto the beach right out of the boat. They stay there, so you can go back and forth the boat as often as you like to get "refreshed" by the rum punch. Then, you repeat the same going back to your ship. They have limbo going on during the ride back and a lot of people got really crazy on our trip. Too much to include on here. I'll just say I wouldn't recommend it as a "family" excursion unless you have grown children. It's a lot of fun, though!

• 1 month later...

Awesome time, just be a little careful, they make the drinks 80% rum and very little mixer, a couple of people got so drunk they missed they're stop and had to be carried to thier cruise ship!!! We only drank 2 rum punches apiece and BELIEVE me we were feeling NO PAIN!!! also you might want to take a little snack with you, the only food available is hot dogs and chips and you have to pay for them, they also have beer available to pay for too, that's what we drank after the rum punch. Have fun!!!

4 of us went on this....

I didn't think the drinks were that strong. It was a fun time. We brought our own masks and snorkels. We snorkeled around the beaches. Talk about awesome. We found, Starfish, Sea Urchins, Conch, Beautiful Fish, and Squid. (Yes, squid, my husband found a conch that contained a squid) - Freaked me out!!! The boat wasn't packed when we went. Which helps with the party atmosphere. We wern't disappointed... Book It.

Tami

When you say there are only hotdogs and chips to eat, do you mean on the Kon-Tiki or on the beach? Does the beach have a bar/restaurant and souvenir shopping? Also, we'll be in St. Thomas from 7am - 5pm, will we have time after party tour to walk around the town for a bit.

I would go to town before the trip, we were docked on the far side of town and had about 3 hours to shop before the kon tiki boat left, we got back about 30 minutes before our ship left port, but our ship was only there until 5:00 if I remember right. There really isn't anywhere to buy anything except a few cheap souviners at the beach they stopped off at, no restaraunt or bar, it's actually just a small public park. The chips and snacks are for sale on the kon tiki itself.

The Kon Tiki is the best party boat that we have in the Virigin Islands and surrounding Caribbean for that matter. You cant beat the price eithier. I mean c'mon... Where else are you going to get a live steel band, unlimited rum punch, on a glass bottom boat that stops at the beach for an hour. It doesn't have the rep as the best party boat in the Caribbean for nothing:p .... Check out www.cruiseshipexcursions.net

My wife and I didn't care for the kon-tiki party boat and we love to party. There were geriatrics playing calypso, the boat was very dirty and old, the alcohol was watered down greatly and there was very little going on in the boat. We went to honeymoon beach and had wonderful weather. We made the most of the time and tried to have fun, but we wouldn't do it again. I've read many good things about the party boat, but in my honest opinion, it was lacking a party when we were on it and that's not for lack of us trying.

A group of us girls did this in 2002. Enjoyed a rum punch or two but mostly had pop. Boat ride around the harbor was nice. We went to have some beach time, nice beach but not as nice as Megans. We enjoyed the band. We did have time for shopping in town too, that's a must on St Thomas! Glad we did it but wouldn't do it again. This trip husband and I are taking a catamaran to a beach on St John. Looking forward to seeing it as have never been there. Will still have time for shopping after, ;)

Carol

whats POP?

A few of us did this tour and thought it could be much better... why?????????????

I am comparing this to the tour in cozumel. The boat was better, free BEER (SOL and more) boat was in much bigger.. CON TIKI the speakers were AWFUL.. one worked, then the other shut off every 2 sec. (same music....) BIN S BUM SSSS BIM SS BUMSSSS..Blairing really HI TONE music... HA, and I go to death metal shows and concerts in New York City............and had a headache.... ALSO, it was SO hot that day.... nobody felt like passing out at rum in the HOT sun. They take you to this beach that is not very nice. MUCh nicer areas to be seen!!!!!!!!!!. Guess I would have more fun if this was at night.. BUT, we only stay till 5? 6?

A 'booze cruise' is always fun to be on, and even fun when you're not on it and watch the boat come back into port and the people getting off! lol

So TRUE! Gosh, even when we have taken a "better":confused: excursion ... we really sort of wish we had been on KonTiki when it rolls back to dock with everyone having so much FUN!:p

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

My wife and I didn't care for the kon-tiki party boat and we love to party. There were geriatrics playing calypso, the boat was very dirty and old, the alcohol was watered down greatly and there was very little going on in the boat. We went to honeymoon beach and had wonderful weather. We made the most of the time and tried to have fun, but we wouldn't do it again. I've read many good things about the party boat, but in my honest opinion, it was lacking a party when we were on it and that's not for lack of us trying.

Finally!! Someone who shared our experience!! I was planning on keeping my opinion to myself as we appeared to be in the minority...and we, too, like to party!! The rum in our punch was non-existent (maybe they ran out??) and the beach they took us too was so rocky that many stay on the boat because they didn't care to navigate the rocks!! And I must agree with cruiseseeker..."geriatric" was a good description of the band!!

Perhaps maybe good days and bad days????? :confused:

Deb

Deb, Thanks for being honest. I'm not afraid of voicing my true opinions on the experiences. I read the boards about Kon tiki prior to going and we were really dissappointed!!! Hopefully the boats will stop sponsoring this excursion until the boat owner, he must be a rich man, puts some money into it. I have seen better boats hauling trash down the Mississippi than the boat we went on. Extreme waste of money and time.

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked the Kon Tiki for christmas day...think I will change and go to full day in St. John with lunch or the Champayne sail to St. Jonh. Sounded fun but not with geriatrics playing in the band and weak rum. I was looking for a fun party day. Or maybe Magens beach would be fun.

Any recomendations would be appreciated..I am confused now and keep changing my mind as to what we should do.

Last time we were there we went snorkeling at Turtle Cove.

We just returned from 10/22 - 10/29/05 Caribbean Princess sailing and the Kon-Tiki party barge was not available, having suffered some damage in one of the earlier hurricanes (not Hurricane Wilma, which swung through Florida while we were out at sea). The tour desk said the Kon-Tiki was undergoing repairs. So, if you've got it booked any time soon, you might want to double-check. Kellie in Texas

whats POP?

Seriously? Pop = Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Sprite. I did find out that most east coasters call it soda. People who live in the midwest call it pop.

As for the Kon-Tiki, I did it in the Bahamas. It was nice. Beach was beautiful, warm water and the drinks were strong.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived