Scuba and size question

illybell

Hello all!

I just booked a beginners scuba excursion in St. Thomas and I want to know if my size is going to be an issue.

The excursion details say nothing about it, but I'm concerned about any gear I have to wear fitting. Especially given that I'm quite "blessed" in certain areas :D

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would help if you gave your measurements - honestly. Shops usually carry BCDs up to XL. Fins up to around a man's size 12. For a short intro dive , you can probably get away without a wet suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt you'll have much difficulty, for your "discover SCUBA" experience. Bear in mind that everyone in your group will be using loaned gear, so most will be dealing with one or more items that fit well enough to use, but are less than ideal. If you decide diving is for you (and you likely will), please be aware that there is a great variety of equipment out there, and there is no doubt in my mind that a buoyancy compensator (the BC Vest you'll be worried about) exists out there that will comfortably accommodate your "blessing".

Normally a new diver can get by with rental gear rather than owning their own for quite some time; although the more diving you do, the more benefit there is to owning your own gear. In your case, if you decide to pursue diving, you may well want to look at the early acquisition of a well-fitting BC.

In summary, your dimensions will not present any insurmountable hindrance to your enjoyment of SCUBA.

Welcome to the addiction that is diving.

Harris

Denver, CO

concur

for your early dives and especially this first 'discovery' you'll probably end up in a men's BC and a large one to boot. IF you decide to pursue diving and perhaps buy gear .... when you decide to look for a BC consider a Zeigle Zena ... this is a very unique BC designed for women by women. My daughter has one now and loves it . . . fits very differently than the standard BC design . . .

http://www.zeagle.com/Products-Repository/BCDS/Products/Zena

7104RK%20Zena%2003.ashx

P7030052_zpsbf493e3f.jpg

or in other words .... if the vest is uncomfortable don't despair .... better stuff is available if you decide to jump into this sport

Edited by Capt_BJ