Packing Rituals/Habits

jenn-

I have a very detailed cruise packing list, broken down by Things to do ahead of time, things to do a few days before, the day before and Last minute.

I also have an easily accessible bag in my closet where I put a sewing kit, plastic ponchos, pad, paper, bandaids and small items that I haven't used on prior cruise and keep for future cruises. I add small bottles of toiletries, etc. throughout the year. This method makes it easier for me to see what I have to purchase and pack before next cruise.

I keep my Xpress Pass for the ship, my pre-cruise hotel confirmation, etc. in a folder in my desk and add to it as necessary.

About 3 weeks before the cruise, I review my List and purchase any necessities for the cruise, do a mail hold, paper hold, etc. We also try on basic clothes to be sure they fit and shop for new items.

I start "decorating the spare bedroom" as DH refers to it by laying out clothes and other cruise items. The actual deciding on what clothes to bring and ironing is done 2 or 3 days before. Packing is done the night before we leave for pre-cruise hotel stay. The vacation starts once we leave the house the next morning!

I'm a lists for everything person. I have a list of items like putting hold on mail, cash from the bank, credit cards, passports, copies of passports & credit cards in an e-mail to myself so that they can be accessed in case of an emergency. Confirmatioins all reservations (hotel, transportation, private excursions, etc) copied in an e-mail along with a paper copy. Checking with the woman who will keep our two little doxies. I have a packing list for the our little furbabies (blankets, food, toys, snacks). I have a packing list with specific items of clothing by day and I cross them off as I fold them to put in the suitcase. I have a separate list for the carry on. I pack have a list of the OTC meds and cross them off, along with all the toiletries. I have a list of all the documents that go in my tote bag. I pack one day in advance...just in case something is going on that is crazy or distracting. It never fails...since the bags are packed, I always find something that wasn't packed and wasn't on the lists that I need/want to add. If I didn't pack the day before, I wouldn't notice that item that I need to include. I prefer to spend my last night having some quiet time relaxing with the doxies before dropping them off the next morning :(.