Cuisine Aboard Oceania Ships

kchesneylover

I would love to know what everyone thinks about the cuisine aboard Oceania ships: Regatta, Nautica and Insignia.

I would love this thread to be about what you thought about the menu, the food presentation and the taste. And if you have ever met any of the Chef's aboard.

(lets just say I have a vested, honest interest!)

Although I have never sailed with them, I do know all about their menus and cuisine (I just have never tasted it!)

We spent 14 days on Insignia in March. We thought the cuisine was excellent. In my review of that cruise (on this site) I noted that it matched Celebrity except that

we felt that the Terrace Grill surpassed the buffets on Celebrity in decor, food selection and general atmosphere. Perhaps part of this was due to the fact that as a smaller ship with only 675 passengers, you had an easier time getting served. We also appreciated the fact that there is no charge for the specialty restaurants, although they were not quite up to the ones on Infinity and Millenium.

No cruise line serving hundreds of people at once can really come up with true gourmet dining. That only exists in small restaurants where a couple of chefs do everything for every meal and only have to worry about 10 to 30 tables.

But we think the meals on Celebrity (6 cruises) and Oceania (1 so far) are very, very good. While we prefer the smoothness

of fixed seating and a wait staff attuned to your preferences as on Celebrity; the staff of Insignia was uniformly pleasant and accommodating.

You will not be disappointed.

We have cruised many times, and I always thought that the food on cruise ships could only be good to a given point, given the fact that there are so many people to serve, etc.

Celebrity's M-class specialty restaurants raised the bar in my estimation (for specialty resaurants), but on a recent cruise (our first one) on Oceania, I would have to say that Oceania has raised the bar for cuisine in general on cruiselines.

In short, it was very good all around. The buffets, the high teas, the main restaurant (although it felt a little overcrowded and overwarked at dinner), the evening buffet, and the specialty restaurants were all at a very high standard.

I have to agree with everyone's opinion. The food was wonderful and attractive. However, steak was offered as an option on the menus and I ordered it twice, and it was tough and not very good. The steak we had in Polo was fantastic and the night steak was a menu selection it was great. My husband ordered the optional salmon and said it was good, but dry.

Esther

I have to agree with everyone's opinion. The food was wonderful and attractive. However, steak was offered as an option on the menus and I ordered it twice, and it was tough and not very good. The steak we had in Polo was fantastic and the night steak was a menu selection it was great. My husband ordered the optional salmon and said it was good, but dry.

Esther

Oh Dear All,

Until you have tried Silversea and Seabourn you are not likely to encounter Gourmet Cuisine and service on these overcrowded ships that serve tough and dry food.The best of them is Celebrity and that is in the speciality restaurant that you pay extra for.

John

Hold on, John. I did not say all the food was tough and dry. Quite the contrary. I said that what we ordered, NOT as a daily menu selection, but rather as an alternative offering was dry and tough. The food is wonderful, but I am a steak freak and it was not to my liking. My husband is a salmon freak, and the alternative offering of salmon wasn't up to par. However, that may just be alternative selections. When we ordered the daily menu selections, they were superb.

Esther

Oh Dear All,

Until you have tried Silversea and Seabourn you are not likely to encounter Gourmet Cuisine and service on these overcrowded ships that serve tough and dry food.The best of them is Celebrity and that is in the speciality restaurant that you pay extra for.

John

Thanks Lord.

Why are you on this board instead of being on the Silversea and Seabourn boards with the other stuck up twits?

if you don't like the "overcrowded ships that serve tough dry food", why do you even read this board?

pompous ass

The passengers on Searbourn and Silverseas are so drearily old and boring, no quality of food could make up for it. In any event, there really is no haute cuisine on the high seas, except for the overrated caviar, which is not as good as that in good old mother Russia.

Oh Dear All,

John

John,

Even at full capacity, Oceania at 600+ passengers is not an overcorwded ship.

Additionally, they serve wonderful cuisine - not tough and dry food. The poster was referring to an alternate selection and though I don't doubt the review, it was a comment about 2 particular items. Even the finest 5 star restaurant can have a slip. I'm sure the poster sent it back and got something wonderful instead.

Jane

Thanks Lord.

Why are you on this board instead of being on the Silversea and Seabourn boards with the other stuck up twits?

if you don't like the "overcrowded ships that serve tough dry food", why do you even read this board?

pompous ass

Hotlantacruiser,

I like to see how other people are doing, it confirms that my choice has been the right one.

As for "stuck up twits" I think that jealousy is a dreadful quality in a person and one which I have not seen in American friends.So I suspect that you are in the minority.

And Yes I have sailed with Oceana on all three ships and had good times,but like anything in life You Get What You Pay For!!

Tut tut sir

Your second rate seamanship is not appreciated. Seabourne and Silverseas are loaded with pompous boors who like to play dress up; I mean, what reason would anyone have to wear a tuxedo on a ship? You pay extra on THOSE lines to hang out with other people of your ilk; you are welcome to them, and they are welcome to you.

Tut tut sir

Your second rate seamanship is not appreciated. Seabourne and Silverseas are loaded with pompous boors who like to play dress up; I mean, what reason would anyone have to wear a tuxedo on a ship? You pay extra on THOSE lines to hang out with other people of your ilk; you are welcome to them, and they are welcome to you.

Have you sailed on Seabourn (sic) or Silverseas? If so, you are entitled to your opinion, erroneous as it may be. If not, tut tut to you.

Hotlantacruiser,

I like to see how other people are doing, it confirms that my choice has been the right one.

As for "stuck up twits" I think that jealousy is a dreadful quality in a person and one which I have not seen in American friends.So I suspect that you are in the minority.

And Yes I have sailed with Oceana on all three ships and had good times,but like anything in life You Get What You Pay For!!

While I don't condone some of the remarks thrown at you from some here, you must own up that you really have baited people and your comments are exceedingly rude and offensive. You know that, I'm quite sure.

You dislike Oceania? That's fine, not every ship is for everyone. You think that those of use who enjoy going on their ships are the "other" people? Then please, go where you feel you're in your own element and with a crowd more your style. Don't come here to spew debasing remarks about the people who enjoy sailing with them. It's insulting and boorish and anyone with some class and socialization would know that by the time they reach adulthood.

An honest evaluation of any cruiseline is always welcome and there will always be good and bad comments. I personally like Oceania alot, even with its flaws and I certainly want to hear people's experiences & opinions, the good and the not so good.

I don't go to other cruiseline boards that I feel are not up to my expectations for the purpose of baiting and insulting people who enjoy cruising on those lines. What would be the point? It certainly wouldn't make me feel superior to let them know that "their" line of choice is not up to "my" standards.

Seabourn... yes...I experienced the line and at one time had an association with a travel agency, so I have had the benefit of numerous others' experience.

You and many others who travel on these lines seem overly concerned with the "luxury" designation. People are apologists or cheerleaders for every line, but the snobbery expressed by those who feel their line is the most luxurious is often too much. Again though, I personally dislike the artificial dress up routines on these "luxury" ships, and on the "lesser" lines as well. I do like seared Fois Gras though.

Jane110,

I have enjoyed Oceana as a cruise line and think that they do an excellent job,and do not dislike as you say.I also find that dressing up is not always what I want to do for dinner and in my experience there are boring and snobby people on every line.this thread did start with the subject of food and if you read the posts then you see that everyone has some negative point on the food or Restaurants as well as positive.when visiting Forums and reading what people have to say about a subject you will find negative and positive but it seems that some posters here do not like to read the negative.Well this is how we all learn and improve our knowledge and after all ,we do have a common interest.I appreciate that some posters have not experienced sailing on many lines but they should try new things and broaden their horizons and share their knowledge with others.once you have sailed on at least six lines I think that only then can you decide which one is for you

Archived