Maybe a Stupid Question

DJan07

My question deals with the Freedom OTS. I heard today that it was floated out of the dock. Why float it out though if it isn't done? Hopefully during design it was checked that it could and would float and I was just wondering if it was to check engines, etc. or what. If anyone knows, leave a post! :)

DJan07

Not certain, but from watching the Making of the Voyager of the Seas... They float them out after a certain point to free up the drydock so they can build other ships there. Then, they do the finishing work at a different place in the shipyard.

Ships are not completed in dry dock. They are usually fitted out in a position alongside a building dock where the interior and furnishings are installed and equipment checked out. Dry dock space is usually in high demand and ship is more accessable to the army of workers who do the finish work when tied up at a wet dock.

My question deals with the Freedom OTS. I heard today that it was floated out of the dock. Why float it out though if it isn't done? Hopefully during design it was checked that it could and would float and I was just wondering if it was to check engines, etc. or what. If anyone knows, leave a post! :)

DJan07

I was watching a show on TV the other day on the making of a war ship, don't remember what class. When the ship is floated for the first time it is there first chance to check for leaks. They also moved to another spot to do all the other work on it as another poster said.

Archived