Carnival Legend any tips?

Hi Tearbear

Sounds like we'll be shipmates for 8 days. I'm departing on the same cruise. I did find this interesting brochure today. It might answer some questions. This will be my first Carnival cruise so I can't give you much advice which is carnival specific.

http://www.carnival.com.au/~/media/Files/PDF/Cruisetips_handout.ashx

Hope you have a great time.

Tearbear,

Although I haven't sailed carnival, I can suggest you get involved with everything you can!

Farm the kids off( if that's available )

Get a drinks package

Bring some lanyards

You don't have to eat everything you see

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My advice would be too late. You've already booked and paid.

Post your impressions of the cruise here when you get back.

They might have drinks packages in the US but as far as I could determine they don't have them on cruises from Australia.

Don't go by anything you see about Carnival from the US because they change many rules when sailing out of Australia. :mad:

Yep, was thinking of purchasing alcohol on board the ship itself. I know this happens on some American cruises, but what I've read about Australian cruising, the possibilty of having quiet (duty free) beers in my room isn't looking good for Tearbear.....

Sent from my SM-P605 using Forums mobile app

having quiet (duty free) beers in my room isn't looking good for Tearbear.....

You can buy stubbies of aussie or imported beers from room service or a bar to drink in you room it's just that they won't be duty free.

Or you can get beer from the Red Frog Pub. Be their first customer for the cruise and you'll get a free pint. My wife and I were wandering about discovering the ship and when we went into the Red Frog Pub the barmaid said we were the first customers for the cruise and I could have a free pint and my wife a cocktail.

Also if you book for the Nuoveau Restaurant on the first night you get a free bottle of wine. It the cheapest on the wine list ($29) and equivalent to a cleanskin but it's drinkable.

Mini Bar Beer is $7.50

Beer at bars ranges from $7.50 to $8.95

Spirits range between the same price.

Cocktails from $9.50 - $11.50 and have quite a few shots of spirits in them, so if you like cocktails they are good value.

Scotch (Chivas Regal) in our minibar was $9.50. Scotch (Dewars or Jamiesons) at the bar was $7.75. We always bought two doubles straight up and took them back to our balcony and mixed with the soda water we brought on board.

We always got the same barman and he poured the measures and kept pouring into the glass as he tipped the measure in so we got good value.

Linanles, just to confirm - do you have to pay extra for the soft drink mixer with your spirit at the bar?

So if I bought a vodka for $8.00, would it cost more to get the lemonade mixer with it (otherwise would it just be a shot of straight vodka)?

I mainly drank cocktails last cruise and this will factor in whether I actually take soft drink on board or not.

Many thanks

We took 24 small bottles of soda water on board so I don't know whether it costs extra.

If you're going to Port Vila checkout Fung Keui, the duty free up the far end of the main street. Far cheaper booze than anywhere else. Have a couple of Tuskers ( Vanuatu beer, bia blong mi) almost anywhere that sells drinks in the main street.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Did I understand correctly from thread above

You cannot even take one bottle of wine per person on board at embarkation?

If you purchase duty free at a stop - say Lumea - will they take it and store it until you are ready to pack on the last night?

Edited by windsor26

Did I understand correctly from thread above

You cannot even take one bottle of wine per person on board at embarkation?

If you purchase duty free at a stop - say Lumea - will they take it and store it until you are ready to pack on the last night?

That's right. The rule about taking wine on board only applies to Carnival cruises out of the US. We were kicking ourselves when we boarded we each had 12 small bottle of soda water and they asked to check the carry on bags. As soon as we opened them and they saw some of the bottles of soda in supermarket plastic bags they said OK go through. We could have had anything in there with the soda and they never checked. Bugger.

You're right if you buy duty free liquor ashore they will take it and return it the last night. Too late to save yourself the high prices on board.

Best duty free spirits are at Fung Kuei at the far end of the main street of Port Vila. e.g. Johnnie Walker Red, Bundy Rum $18.00/1.125L.

Edited by linanles

• 5 months later...

Tearbear08 & Greenstream- How did you find the Legend? I am looking at booking a cruise on the Legend for this December to the South Pacific.

I would love to hear about the activities/ entertainment side of things. Hope you both had a great cruise! :)

Tearbear08 & Greenstream- How did you find the Legend? I am looking at booking a cruise on the Legend for this December to the South Pacific.

I would love to hear about the activities/ entertainment side of things. Hope you both had a great cruise! :)

Hi Ellie

I actually liked the Legend a lot. Many people don't particularly like the décor but it never really worried me. It is a bit like many describe "70's Las Vegas" style furnishings. I thought the cabin and amenities were excellent. Crew were fantastic to me.

The group I travel with are late 50's to early 60's. The women mostly like doing the crafty things. On our previous cruise on P&O Jewel, there was plenty to keep the girls busy, not overloaded but enough to satisfy their wants. On Legend there was virtually nothing of that nature.

I guess it depends on what age group you are. Carnival seem to custom their activities to the younger age group. They do advertise themselves as the "Fun Ship" after all. I got up on the Green Thunder water slide and had a ball.

I'm sure you will have a great time in December should you book. The weather is warm, the pools are inviting, plenty of deck chairs to laze around on. Ice cold drinks on tap. Night shows and activities, always something going on.

Would I do my trip on Legend again? Absolutely.

I hope this helps you out, even if it's only a little bit.

Cheers

I went on the legend with my husband in Feb.....we are both in our mid 30 ' s and thought that unless you are right into trivia or bingo there really isn't much to do during the sea days on this boat. However in saying that the staff were lovely and the food was great, and there was plenty of entertainment at night time. Would I go again, probably not this boat but would give the spirit a go as apparently that one has more activities on the sea days.