SliceofLife's GETAWAY REVIEW (including pictures, MDR menu's and more!)

SliceOfLife

I agree the reviews are wonderful, thanks for sharing. You have made me more comfortable to go on this cruise, so thanks :).

Now I'm counting down the days until we go on our first cruise Nov 8th.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Wow, your first cruise is right around the corner! Have a great time!

Back in June on the Breakaway Bermuda sailing, my g/f and myself ate at Teppenyaki on the last night of the sailing. We were seated first, then a family of 4 after us. After them, 3 more sat down......Lebo and his brother Dan LeBatard of Highly Questionable on ESPN along with their mother. Lebo sat in the seat directly to my right. Both had quite the personalities, and we had enjoyable conversation.

Lebo told us that NCL pays for him to sail aboard their ships and sell his artwork. He was going to Europe 2 weeks after our sailing on another NCL vessel. Both guys seemed very down to earth, and actually would continue conversations throughout the dinner. It was surprising bonus to the meal.

Wow, that is a great Lebo story! He was getting off the ship the next day so we never saw him. It's nice to find people who are down to earth and will talk to you.

Just got through all 6 pages - wow, you did a wonderful job! Thanks so much. And it was great to see this review written by an 'average" cruiser - so often they are from someone in Haven or someone who is on their 25th cruise who looks at it a little differently. So many of the things you did seem to be what we will be doing in 80 days. Thank you again for taking the time to be so thorough.

Dress code?? Didn't think there was one for freestyle- can you elaborate please? We have reservations in January for dinners only at the specialty restaurants - don't want hubby to get turned away when we paid for the UDP. Thanks, Jenn

It's not a super fancy dress code but there are some "guidelines"

This is straight from my freestyle dailies

Casual Attire: We want you to be comfortable, so cruise casual is perfect for Taste and Savor dining rooms, buffets and most specialty restaurants.

For women, that includes casual dresses and skirts, dress shorts or jeans. For men, khakis, jeans, dress shorts and casual shirts work nicely. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor grills, but a shirt and footwear are required.

Sophisticated Atmosphere: If you choose Ocean Blue or Le Bistro, we ask that you wear jeans or slacks. For men, collared shirts and closed-toe shoes. For women dress/skirt and top.

Tanks, flip flops, caps, visors and jeans that are overly worn or below the hips are not permitted in our dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

Just got through all 6 pages - wow, you did a wonderful job! Thanks so much. And it was great to see this review written by an 'average" cruiser - so often they are from someone in Haven or someone who is on their 25th cruise who looks at it a little differently. So many of the things you did seem to be what we will be doing in 80 days. Thank you again for taking the time to be so thorough.

Thank you so much! I agree, Haven reviews don't help the "average" cruiser. We really enjoyed the daily activities that were offered. I love sitting outside and reading but it was fun to see what else is happening on the ship.

Have a great cruise!!

I have much too long to wait to go on my next cruise on the Getaway. Your reviews were wonderful. I know that the Breakaway is the sister ship but I didn't realize they look so much alike. We were on the Breakaway in April. I will be traveling with my husband, dgt who will have just graduated college and would like to work in the entertainment side of a cruise someday, my son who has Down Syndrome and his caregiver, who is one of my best friends. She is gluten-free so it is nice to see all of the menu choices. I can not wait to be with my family for a week, with no work obligations. So looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your review. It answered many questions. I saw a Carnival ship in the background. I will look for a comparison review for the same cruise. Getaway is an artistic ship. The photos were a welcome addition to the review.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your detailed review :)It has me super excited for our cruise in July on the Getaway. Cruising with NCL is new to us as we have cruised on Disney in the past. We have a mid ship balcony, category BA I believe. Hoping we won't feel squeezed together in it. :eek:Your pictures are great!!! I loved all of the food pictures. Helps me plan my menu ;) How much water were you allowed to bring on and if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to carry the water on board the ship?

Thank you so much for your detailed review :)It has me super excited for our cruise in July on the Getaway. Cruising with NCL is new to us as we have cruised on Disney in the past. We have a mid ship balcony, category BA I believe. Hoping we won't feel squeezed together in it. :eek:Your pictures are great!!! I loved all of the food pictures. Helps me plan my menu ;) How much water were you allowed to bring on and if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to carry the water on board the ship?

Do you know if you have a cabin with the bed by the balcony? Those cabins make the room feel more roomy and are easier to walk around each other.

You can bring as much water as you want onboard. I don't remember if it was a 12 pack or 24 pack of water. I put it in a duffel bag with a luggage tag attached. Other people have taped the luggage tag directly to their water or pop to be delivered.

Hello, This was one of the very best cruise Reviews that I have ever read, GREAT JOB! We will be on the Getaway Jan. 17th, 2015 and I wrote down many notes from your review so that we can make the most of our cruise......can't wait! Question for you, how can you tell where the bed placement will be? We will be in a Mini-Suite on 11. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Hello, This was one of the very best cruise Reviews that I have ever read, GREAT JOB! We will be on the Getaway Jan. 17th, 2015 and I wrote down many notes from your review so that we can make the most of our cruise......can't wait! Question for you, how can you tell where the bed placement will be? We will be in a Mini-Suite on 11. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

:) Thank you so much for the kind words!

I was in cabin 10804

Look at the deck plans here and look for my cabin. You'll see there are indents along the top wall that joins cabin 10802. The indent that goes into the next cabin is where the bed goes. My cabin has the bed by the balcony so you'll see the deepest part of the room is where the bed is located.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Getaway

Im booking this cruise soon!! Question: my boyfriend weighs 296 but he is 6'3. He carrys his weight well, but do u think he can do the ropes course??

Maximum weight for the ropes course is 300lbs. I hope he doesn't gain any weight otherwise they will turn him away. They will weigh you so it's not like he can fib about his weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for such a detailed review. We'll be on Getaway this month and the info, menus, deck plan tips, etc. have been so helpful.

Liked all yr pics, too, and the food ones gave me some good ideas.:)

Now onto your other thread for the Freestyle Dailies!

Edited by snorklin'barb

Thanks so much for such a detailed review. We'll be on Getaway this month and the info' date=' menus, deck plan tips, etc. have been so helpful.

Liked all yr pics, too, and the food ones gave me some good ideas.:)

Now onto your other thread for the Freestyle Dailies![/quote']

Thank you! I'm glad my review was helpful. Have a great cruise!!

• 3 weeks later...