Why is the Maitre'de not autotipped..

Gabsabunch42

Big_duck,

YOU GOT IT, YOU GOT IT, BRILLANT.

We all boycott tipping Maitre'ds until they start strictly enforcing the dress code. BRILLANT!!!

Also, with any job, some people are born to do them and some should never even try. So some M'ds just have their hand out and some really want your dining experience to be special. [and many between the two extremes]

Back to the boycott,

Start immediately!!!!

Dan

oops.gif

Twas not my intention to start a revolution. I just thought that, since we had the attention of the "horses mouth" so to speak, we could go along way to putting to and end those endless debates we have on Dining Room dress. :cool:

I am not too sure what you mean by "by the tail" but in regards to your comment NO SHORTS, we are obliged to remind guests that shorts are concidered unappropriate for the dining room during dinner, however i ask you to remember that when you enter the dining room for your evening meals that this is something that you have already paid for within the price of your cruise, when you book your cruise, at no time are you told that you have to wear long pants for dinner( gentelmen of course) so if i, as a maiterd refuse you entry into the dining room because you are not wearing " proper attire " then in effect i am breaking a form of contract.

Please stop concidering the maitred as an enermy, we are there to assist you in all our capacity, all you have to do is to let us...

I am not too sure what you mean by "by the tail" but in regards to your comment NO SHORTS, we are obliged to remind guests that shorts are concidered unappropriate for the dining room during dinner, however i ask you to remember that when you enter the dining room for your evening meals that this is something that you have already paid for within the price of your cruise, when you book your cruise, at no time are you told that you have to wear long pants for dinner( gentelmen of course) so if i, as a maiterd refuse you entry into the dining room because you are not wearing " proper attire " then in effect i am breaking a form of contract.

Please stop concidering the maitred as an enermy, we are there to assist you in all our capacity, all you have to do is to let us...

That answered the question, thank you. I will let go of your tail now. :)

oops.gif

Twas not my intention to start a revolution. I just thought that, since we had the attention of the "horses mouth" so to speak, we could go along way to putting to and end those endless debates we have on Dining Room dress. :cool:

And so you have. Congratulations !!! :D

Time to save this thread before the dark side finds a way to make it go poof.

The contract you are breaking [if you are a Maitre'D] is the WRITTEN contract between the cruiseline and ALL the pax that honor the dress code. That dress code is written in the brochures, on the cruiseline website, and on the cruise docs, plus its on the Capers but we won't count that. Anybody that CLAIMS to be unaware of the dress code is terminally stupid and is probably immune to all suggestion.. WE ARE ALL TOLD what the dress code is thru the various docs mentioned so you are breaking the contract with all others by allowing the violaters to pass..

So we will allow you to serve by DEMANDING that you enforce rules that have been in effect for many, many years.

And there is the old saw, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

BOYCOTT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

I just think the point most of us are making is, that the matre'd runs the show ok yes, making sure things go smoothly with the service and staff, so in a sense, he or she is a manager with a salary... Like I said before, you wouldn't go to a restaurant back home and tip the servers and then the manager would you, nobody does... Sure the matre'd is important, just like restaurant managers are important, but they don't get tipped... Thats it, end of thread hopefully! LOL :cool:

The only time I felt that the Maitre 'D really deserved a tip was our last cruise on the Miracle. Kevin...or Ken (I forget) was a singing Maitre 'D with a magnificent voice and was very entertaining at meal time. :D He was pleasant and funny and his presence was seen as well as felt, unlike the previous Maitre 'D's that had only seemed to appear on the last night of the cruise with their hands out.

I figured that if everyone tipped the suggested 2.00 per person on a ship ..................Donna

Hello?? Donna, where did you come up with that figure of $2.00 per person?

To my knowledge, there's never been any mention anywhere that suggests a certain amount to tip the Maitre d'.:rolleyes:

I just think the point most of us are making is, that the matre'd runs the show ok yes, making sure things go smoothly with the service and staff, so in a sense, he or she is a manager with a salary... Like I said before, you wouldn't go to a restaurant back home and tip the servers and then the manager would you, nobody does... Sure the matre'd is important, just like restaurant managers are important, but they don't get tipped... Thats it, end of thread hopefully! LOL :cool:
South. I agree. But since I was given an envelope on the last day I was curious about it. Basically, where does the tipping line begin and end? Everyone wants to be tipped. I'm fuzzy about this, so someone help me. When we are using/buying a service, we are paying for that service, no? Why must I turn around and compensate extra for that service -- aren't they doing their job? What defines a tippable service? Should I tip someone for bagging my groceries? Should I tip an auto mechanic for my oil change? I don't tip either of these. Do you? Its just such a gray area for me.

The only time I felt that the Maitre 'D really deserved a tip was our last cruise on the Miracle. Kevin...or Ken (I forget) was a singing Maitre 'D with a magnificent voice and was very entertaining at meal time. :D He was pleasant and funny and his presence was seen as well as felt, unlike the previous Maitre 'D's that had only seemed to appear on the last night of the cruise with their hands out.

It was KEN.. and he was on our Valor cruise last Christmas.. I am pretty sure he told all of us that he was retiring to open a PUB.. back home..

Here is a pic from our Cruise of Ken and our table mate who won the Valor Idol contest singing White Christmas..

Imag0425.jpg.82eeb909b1048b4d02b5bd626b14973f.jpg

:D

that's him...he was a doll!! He was Irish, right?? I'd go to Ireland just to visit his Pub. I hope he does well.

Definitely IRISH>>> I bet his pub would be fun!!

He was charming.. and the other dining room while the guy was nice.. HE DIDNT SING!!LOL

Hello?? Donna, where did you come up with that figure of $2.00 per person?

To my knowledge, there's never been any mention anywhere that suggests a certain amount to tip the Maitre d'.:rolleyes:

I think $2-$10 pp/per week is the guideline - depending on how much service they provided. Next cruise think I may go $20.

Archived