Interesting things seen from your balcony?

WeIsCruisin

Coming out of Adelaide in South Australia just a few weeks ago on the Celebrity Century, a magnificent deep red sunset accompanied by black storm clouds - which was petty stunning, then all of a sudden the lightening started flashing across the red sky. A magnificent sight.

• 1 month later...

2009 U.S. war ship conducting operations off the coast of Greece. As we passed the sailors on the side of the war ship closest to us stopped what they were doing and stood at parade rest until we passed and in return this old Marine returned a not as sharp as it once was Salute back.

2011 leaving Tampa before open waters, the parade of pleasure boats passing our side of the ship blaring their horns and waving us off on our voyage and then the last boat where the lovely young lady graciously flashed the ship directly in front of our balcony.....O' how I wish I had some beads to throw at her to express my gratitude!:D:D::D:D

A dead whale floating on the surface with many birds feeding on it.

Dozens of shoes floating on the water on the Yangtze River in China. We were told they were from homes flooded by the river. Why only shoes?

A bear walking on the beach in Alaska. It stood up and started waving a flag. It was a man in a bear suit.

We once saw a small boat with a sail stitched together from different fabric with 4 men on board. Even from far away we could tell they were sunburned and looked like they were physically struggling.

They were Cuban refugees trying to make it to America but they were very off course. We stopped and got them. It was the second day of the cruise and they gave us updates throughout the cruise. They were kept in the jail and the ship tried to offload them at every port but no one would take them. We met the US coast guard early am the last day of the cruise and they took them and brought them back to Cuba.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow. That's some excitement to witness, huh? I do feel badly to hear that they were kept in the jail, but I guess it's not like there is just a spare room somewhere for them to be put up in. :( I am glad they were rescued and hope they were treated well.

Thanks for sharing.

About three years ago we were sailing back to Galveston on the Carnival Magic. On the last night of the cruise a crew member jumped overboard and survived. Somehow he had a life vest with a light. So we got to see a night time rescue at sea.

They sent out a rescue boat, and had several spotlights going. I couldn't believe how hard that big ship could turn. Everyone cheered when they announced he had been rescued.