Best area of ship to stay? Opinions & Facts, please

cruiseJMO

I'll be enjoying my 3rd cruise in a month & I have yet to learn/remember the correct names of the different parts of the ship (my apologies).

While reading a lot of great reviews, I began wondering why I seldom read about anyone staying in the front of the ship? I decided to try it this coming up voyage. The last two I was midship. I did see some complaints about soot in the rear (aft?).

All I know to go by when choosing a cabin is that I don't want to be too close to elevators or too far from stairs.

I'd really appreciate all the incite anyone may have on this topic.

The front of the ship is the bow. (B for bow = b for beginning of ship).

Many people do not like cabins in that area because it feels the motion of the waves the most.

We always choose a cabin closest to the elevator because of hubby's mobility problems. We have never had problems with noise since elevators are in a foyer and cabins in corridors off of that.

Add a long hike to get anywhere - most ships don't have stairs or elevators at the stern.

But well worth the effort.

And the balcony is sheltered from wind & rain when those along the sides are un-useable.

JB :)

Definitely worth keeping in mind. I like the exercise to counteract the calories. The shelter is certainly a plus.

It really is about personal preference. If you have a ship in mind, why not go on the cruise line's website and look over the deck plan? If there's locations you don't want, such as by the elevators, you'll be able to eliminate some of the cabins. A TA will help you further about selecting available cabins if you need it.

I tend to get motion sickness but have had a couple of cabins that were far forward (including our Alaskan cruise but it was a very smooth cruise). We've also been aft. Since those were either ocean view (OV) or insides, no problem with soot. We have had cabins by the elevator banks, and other than a rare person who didn't realize (or care) that his/her voice carried, we haven't had a problem with noise.