Solo on Carnival

watson61

I'm the OP and I said I'd post a review of my Carnival Freedom cruise. Here goes:

I booked the trip mainly for the price and ports - I love Key West and had never been to Cozumel or Grand Cayman. The ports did not disappoint.

What was disappointing was my dinner table. I was assigned to a table for eight: the first night, it was me, a solo guy in his 50s, and two 40-ish women traveling together. It was fine. Then the next night, the two women didn't show but four older folks who spoke Russian (and not much English) did show up. We never saw those two women again and I stopped coming after the third night (I ran into the guy at the end of the cruise and he confirmed the two women never showed up again and the other people basically ignored him and conversed in Russian).

I did choose the early seating and maybe that was my mistake. I don't like eating after 8:00 but maybe I would've had better luck in dining companions, who knows? It's such a crapshoot. When I was on RCL's Brilliance to Canada/New England, I chose the late seating and had a great table of 10: another solo, a married couple, two women traveling together and four older British people who were a total hoot. That table sticks in my mind because I really looked forward to dinner every night, even though the food wasn't great. The company made up for it.

On the Freedom, I had an inside cabin. The size was fine but I must've been right above the engine room or something because that noise was pretty constant. My expectations were low because of the price I paid, but I'm sure I got one of those cabins no one (especially experienced cruisers) wants. My cabin steward, Nicholas, was awesome though. And it was one deck below the Lido buffet so that was convenient.

As far as awkward solo moments go (love that thread), there was one on an excursion (side note: that's where the bulk of my ASM's seem to happen): it was the Mayan ruins tour in Cozumel and we were instructed to line up two by two (great). That part wasn't so bad because a woman in front of me who was with her husband asked if I was traveling alone and when I said yes, she told her son (a 40ish dude whose wife was out shopping) to stand next to me. He and I sat on the bus together and were chatting, perfectly pleasantly, and then he said "who are you traveling with?" When I said "just me", he said, "You came alone? On a cruise?" I'm sure most of you solo travelers can relate as far as his tone of voice, as if I were a sideshow freak.

In general though, it was fine; I'm glad I went. I escaped the DC area during a wicked cold snap so my timing couldn't have been better in that sense. I may do Carnival again, especially if I get another deal, but it's not my first choice. Two things I enjoyed a lot and definitely recommend are Tea Time and the sea day brunch. At both of those I met really nice couples who I chatted with for a long time. Also, I have to give Carnival props for the embarkation and disembarkation: they could not have been easier. I was a little nervous because US Air moved my flight home from 2:30 pm to noon but I had plenty of time. I did the self-disembarkation and was off the ship and onto the Carnival bus by 7:45 am.

As far as my fellow passengers - generally younger than my cruises on RCL and Princess and I was surprised how many kids were there; I thought they'd all be back in school. I can only imagine a Carnival summer cruise. And I do have to add that this is the only cruise I’ve been on (I’ve been on six) where I felt in the minority because I don’t have any tattoos.

I booked a western Caribbean 6-day on the Carnival Freedom in January because the price was so low. It will be my first time on Carnival and I'm curious how the solo experience will be. My first cruise ever was on the Norwegian Epic which of course is great for solos because of the studios and the lounge. In fact, that experience spoiled me for my later cruises: as much as I like the service and general experience on RCL, it's not a line that's particularly solo-friendly, in my opinion. I'll never forget my first night at dinner on the Brilliance when the reaction of my dinner companions to my travelling solo ranged from "Bless your heart" to "I would never do that."

I've read on this board that the most solo-welcoming lines are NCL and Carnival so I'm hoping to have a good time. I'm honestly just looking forward to going some place warm for a week with my trusty Kindle at my side.

I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences on Carnival as a solo.

Well, my first and second cruises were on Carnival, and my third and fourth cruises were on Holland America - all were solo cruises.

Personally, I look back and feel that my most comfortable, enjoyable times were on Carnival. It's not that I was at any times uncomfortable on HAL - I can't really explain why. It's possible because I'm a guy, and therefore my fellow travelers decided I had no feelings - I don't know. But I think it was more to do with my comparative youth than feelings. I have more fear of cruising solo now than I did 15 year ago.

• 3 weeks later...

My first solo was on carnival. It was amazing. I sat alone the first two nights. I happen to meet a solo cruiser on an excursion and she invited me to sit at the solo table. I met another solo at a different excursion and I invited her to sit at the table. We had a great time. We exchanged info and are now Facebook friends.

I go on my second solo. This time I will sit at the solo table. I signed up for all the roll calls and looking forward to meeting ppl.