Multi-Generational Group, New Cruisers

AdventureGal79

We'd like to take grandmother on an Alaskan cruise. She recently lost her husband of over 60 years, and we want to treat her. She is in her Mid 80s and is adventuresome, but not the most mobile. She is very slight of frame and can do walking and some light hiking, but something too strenuous.

Traveling with her will be my husband and I (aged 35 and 42), my mom and her husband (67 and a spry 75), and my husband's mom and her husband (64 and 68).

I consider myself adventurous, but don't want to have grandma overdo it! So if there is something that has options, that might fit us best.

We are looking for suggestions on an appropriate cruise line, one that is calmer and more personal. We'd be looking for something 3-5 days long.

We might go in May (due to school schedules), unless August might be better?

Thank you so much in advance for your advise! We don't really have a budget, since we really just want it to be a great experience for grandma.

Alaska cruises are all pretty sedate. People are too busy exploring at each port during the day.

Instead of demographics, focus on the itinerary. I would always recommend an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay.

Is this one way? RT? Seattle or Vancouver departure?

Altho Seattle is usually easier and cheaper to fly to, I'd suggest Vancouver. Vancouver departures travel between the mainland and Vancouver Island so they're closer to land therefore more scenic. Seattle departures travel on the west side of Vancouver Island so it's basically open sea with no land in sight therefore less scenic and greater chance for rough seas. Many folks fly into Seattle, sightsee for a day or 2 then take the evening train to Vancouver. After the cruise spend a day or 2 sightseeing in Vancouver before taking the train, or bus to Seattle.

There are a few books specific to Alaska cruises that might help you with your decision. Fodor has 'Alaska Ports of Call' and Ann Vipond has 'Alaska by cruiseship'. The books discuss cruiselines, ships, itineraries, ports, excursions, activities, etc. Lots of helpful info.

Also, look thru the trip reports in the STICKYS above. There are some wonderful photojournals in 2014 with lots of great details and useful info. (If you look at the 2013 list, start with reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline/ship.)

May usually has drier weather than August, BUT, if bear viewing is a priority excursion, Aug is a better time than May. Have fun with the research and planning!

Edited by mapleleaves

It will be a roundtrip, but great tip about departing from Vancouver! It's my mother's hometown, but I am sure that the rest of the family would love to see it from the ocean.

I will do more research on the various ports of call and see if I can get an idea for what grandma would like to do and see.

And that is also excellent news about the activity levels!! We'd love for her to be able to experience all she can without straining her too badly.

Off to pour through the photojournals!!

I agree with Alaska trip. Most beautiful cruise I have taken. We took (4) 60-65 year olds 3 years ago and they all loved the trip.

Leave out of Vancouver. We took the one way to Seward and spent sometime in there post cruise.

Enjoy!

"Half of a DINK and proud of it!."😜