Christmas cruise and what to expect

UM-Fan

Have cruised many times but never over a major holiday like Christmas. This is the year! I assume the ships are decorated for Christmas, but what else can we expect? Is all the music geared towards the holiday? Special meals in the MDR? Will Santa make a visit? Any information on what we can expect will be appreciated!

Have cruised many times but never over a major holiday like Christmas. This is the year! I assume the ships are decorated for Christmas, but what else can we expect? Is all the music geared towards the holiday? Special meals in the MDR? Will Santa make a visit? Any information on what we can expect will be appreciated!

We cruised on Christmas a few years ago on the Dawn. There were special Holiday Shows in the Theatre (very different than usual) and music in other venues although not everywhere, there were many decorations including a gingerbread village in the atrium, huge wreaths in the MDR in the aft windows with glittery centerpieces on the tables, and trees all over. The MDRs had a special holiday dinner/menu. I don't think it was in addition to the regular offering although there was a choice of entree as I remember. It was much better than the average fare. I don't remember Santa, but I feel sure he was there. He probably spent more time with the children on board but I do seem to remember him at the end of the gangway at one of the ports for pictures when you got off. :)

Thanks for the information. We were hoping that the MDR would have special meals and it sounds like they might. Looking forward to a relaxing Christmas season for once! :)

The Christmas Dinner in the MDR and the Christmas show that evening were both very special. You will feel like it's Christmas; just a different one.

Thanks for the information. We were hoping that the MDR would have special meals and it sounds like they might. Looking forward to a relaxing Christmas season for once! :)

If you are the one who usually does the Christmas dinner this will be heaven for you.:D Enjoy!!

I agree with the others who posted. we did it ONCE and never again. It's like most things cruising it's all about preference. We prefer cruises with not so many kids and holiday cruises are packed with kids. ;) But the ship was decorated very nice and we did see Santa several times that week.

I was thinking that there would be a lot of kids, but am holding out hope that they will be well behaved!! :D

I was thinking that there would be a lot of kids, but am holding out hope that they will be well behaved!! :D

I hope you're right. On our New Years cruise, the parents were as rude as the kids were. They would be walking down the corridor right behind they're screaming kids who were stomping all the way and they didn't say anything to them. Pretty much just let them do whatever they wanted to all over the ship. :mad:

We went to leave our room one time, and looked both ways before stepping out, and this one couple was walking down the corridor side by side and one of them almost knocked an elderly gentleman off his feet. They didn't even say excuse me or anything. The old man just stopped and turned around to look at them and they just kept right on going. I said out loud "Sir are you ok? Some people are just very rude on this ship" They just kept right on going. :mad:

I love cruising, and all but one of our cruises have been on NCL, and we have never had this problem. The only thing I can say is that if it would have been my first cruise, no matter what cruise line, I'm not sure I would want to go back. And this isn't a problem with the cruise line, but the people that were on it.

With that being said, I know that there will always be kids and rude people, but our future cruises will all be booked when the kids are for the most part still in school.

I hope you're right. On our New Years cruise, the parents were as rude as the kids were. They would be walking down the corridor right behind they're screaming kids who were stomping all the way and they didn't say anything to them. Pretty much just let them do whatever they wanted to all over the ship. :mad:

We went to leave our room one time, and looked both ways before stepping out, and this one couple was walking down the corridor side by side and one of them almost knocked an elderly gentleman off his feet. They didn't even say excuse me or anything. The old man just stopped and turned around to look at them and they just kept right on going. I said out loud "Sir are you ok? Some people are just very rude on this ship" They just kept right on going. :mad:

I love cruising, and all but one of our cruises have been on NCL, and we have never had this problem. The only thing I can say is that if it would have been my first cruise, no matter what cruise line, I'm not sure I would want to go back. And this isn't a problem with the cruise line, but the people that were on it.

With that being said, I know that there will always be kids and rude people, but our future cruises will all be booked when the kids are for the most part still in school.

We have sailed on three different cruise lines and unfortunately I have experienced rude kids and adults on all three lines. But again I am holding out hope that everyone will be well behaved and full of Christmas cheer! :rolleyes:

Edited by UM-Fan

We have sailed on three different cruise lines and unfortunately I have experienced rude kids and adults on all three lines. But again I am holding out hople that everyone will be well behaved and full of Christmas cheer! :rolleyes:

Happy cruising and I will hope that your cruise is all you could ever want it to be!! :)

We cruised last year for Christmas on the Jewel, and I can honestly say that I hope we don't ever sail again for Christmas. It wasn't because of kids or anything. It just seemed really wrong to be zip lining and cave tubing on Christmas Day. I don't mind the cooking and clean up. I decided that I'm just a person who likes to be home for Christmas. We are sailing this year for Thanksgiving and it should be fine. We'd previously cruise for New Year's and it was quite fun. Still a lot of kids, but still fun.

We cruised last year for Christmas on the Jewel, and I can honestly say that I hope we don't ever sail again for Christmas. It wasn't because of kids or anything. It just seemed really wrong to be zip lining and cave tubing on Christmas Day. I don't mind the cooking and clean up. I decided that I'm just a person who likes to be home for Christmas. We are sailing this year for Thanksgiving and it should be fine. We'd previously cruise for New Year's and it was quite fun. Still a lot of kids, but still fun.

We booked knowing that it would be a really different Christmas for us, but we were ready to change it up a bit from the family, work and social parties that we would be doing if we were home. May not ever do it again after this cruise but we wanted something different this holiday compared to the years past.