Country Club Casual

daslifter

Greetings.

My wife and I (both in our early thirties) will be taking our first tour of Europe aboard the Insignia next summer and were wondering if any of you seasoned veterans might shed some light on the country club casual policy.

We tend to prefer sailing with older passengers because we aren't really hardcore partiers like others in our age group tend to be and we enjoy hearing the stories of other folks with a lot more life experience than we have.

We understand what it implies as a dress code, but the phrase "country club" is a little off putting for us. We're all for luxury, fine dining and relaxation, but not so much for the exclusivity and elitism it implies. Is this phrase just a slight marketing blunder we should overlook or should we expect a snobby bridge club kind of atmosphere?

We'll be on Oceania's Regatta 8-31-05, Stockholm to Dover (Baltic itinerary).

I don't find country club casual "off-putting", but interpret it to mean slacks or dockers for men, with collared shirts (or perhaps polo shirts), jacket and tie optional - formal wear not required. My wife plans to take slacks, blouses, perhaps one or two dresses, but certainly no gowns!

I understand country club casual to be somewhat lesser than semi-formal, but above "slob".Several other cruise lines use similar terminology, and I think they are trying to eliminate torn jeans, overalls, shorts etc in the dining rooms.

Druke I is correct with regards to dress on Oceania. Sometimes guys will wear a coat and tie to dinner but its certainly not required. Similarly you will seldom see a woman wearing a gown ..... My impression is that the some folks just like to dress up or are celebrating a special day.

As far as the passengers go, we've encountered the most fascinating people. It's a great part of making the dining room such a special place as you meet new people every day.

Early thirties will certainly put you on the young side of average for Oceania, but we've been in that situtaion before and its worked out well.

Frank

I want to clarify that we're not concerned about or worried about the dress code. That all seems fine.

But you have to understand that for many people in my generation the phrase "country club" has a very negative connotation - that they're socially regressive relics of the robber baron era.

I have noticed that men may wear a coat (usually the proverbial blue blazer) on special nights such as the Captain's reception or the Oceania Club cocktail hour. Occasionally when going to the Polo Grill it appears that some men also may wear a coat. Ties are seldom worn but there are some. The other time when I noticed more jackets was on cool nights on our Baltic cruise. However on our recent Black Sea cruise the jacket was the exception as the weather was quite warm.

Women wear nice dresses and dressy slacks but gowns are left at home with men's tuxedos.

The term "country club casual" should not invoke a negative connotation. We have found the people on board quite friendly as well as positive and upbeat with very few exceptions.

Daslifter, I am in my 30's as well. My childhood image of "country club" is the Howell's from Gilligan's island, so I share your concern.

That's not Oceania, though. Just dress as you would if you were going out to a nice restaurant at home. No need for jackets, ties, gowns, etc. I wore nice washable slacks (dressier than Dockers) with lightweight turtleneck sweaters.

I understand country club casual to be somewhat lesser than semi-formal, but above "slob".Several other cruise lines use similar terminology, and I think they are trying to eliminate torn jeans, overalls, shorts etc in the dining rooms.

Instead of Country Club Casual, insert the phrase "Upscale casual" or "Smart Casual".

You won't see anyone on Oceania wearing overalls - to dinner OR to breakfast! LOL!

As someone else said, dress like you're going to dinner at a "nice" restaurant. Some men will have jackets on because they prefer to, not because it's required.

You may have some chilly weather in the Baltics, so you may want to bring a nice sweater to wear to dinner.

Have a great cruise!

Jane

I shared your concern with the Country Club reference, having worked as a caddy many years ago, and experienced the country club snobs personally, but its not at all a problem on the lines who use it (Windstar, Orient, Oceania). BTW, Bridge players are a lot less snobby than you imply!

We found a few "Howells" on our cruise, but the vast majority of people were friendly. On our particular Western Med cruise we did not see many jackets on the men or skirts/dresses on the women. The temperatures were warm.

We would describe the style of dress as "business casual on the day that you have a meeting with people not in your company". (Our only experience with country clubs has been to attend wedding receptions, so we were in the same quandry.)

:D How to Dress Country Club Casual - Men

Though each country club has different standards, the following provides some general guidelines for casual club dressing.

1. Feel free to wear in the clubhouse whatever outfit you'd wear on the golf course or tennis courts: golf shirts, sneakers or even shorts are fine.

2. Leave your tie at home for brunches, luncheons and casual dinners (before 7 p.m.); instead, go for a sport coat worn over a casual button-down shirt or golf shirt, paired with light cotton or gabardine trousers. You may even want to forget the sport coat as well.

3. Observe a stricter dress code for dinners or events after 7 p.m. A sport coat will almost certainly be required, but not a tie. Shirts should be dressier and slacks should be of heavier fabrics in darker colors.

4. Wear shoes appropriate to the time of year, time of day and occasion. Leather sandals, tennis shoes and loafers are fine during the day, but dress shoes are best for evening events.

bullet1.gifMen should always remove caps and hats when entering a

dining room.

How to Dress Country Club Casual - Women

</B>Though each country club has different standards, the following provides some general guidelines for casual club dressing. For more information, contact your club's concierge.

1. Feel free to wear in the clubhouse whatever outfit you'd wear on the golf course or tennis courts: tennis skirts, sneakers or even shorts are fine.

2. Wear a casual dress, trousers or a skirt that is knee-length or longer for brunches, luncheons and casual dinners (before 7 p.m.). Light fabrics such as linen, silk, cotton and wool gabardine are best for day wear.

3. Observe a nicer dress code for dinners or events after 7 p.m. Wear dresses, slacks and skirts of dressier fabrics and colors appropriate for the season and time of day.

4. Choose accessories on the basis of practicality during the day. Carry a tote large enough to accommodate your needs for the day - suntan lotion, scarf, bottled water etc.

5. Scale evening accessories down to a simple handbag with room enough for lipstick, cash, keys and other absolute necessities.

6. Keep jewelry to a minimum - a strand of pearls, pearl earrings or diamond studs are great for casual wear. Save your more imposing jewelry for formal affairs.

( my tip: leave the aformentioned imposing jewelry at home when on cruise)

7. Wear shoes appropriate to the time of year, time of day and occasion. Leather sandals and loafers are acceptable for daytime events, while pumps and evening shoes are best for events after 7 p.m.

Wear sportswear-inspired pieces, but don't go overboard. Leave the sneakers, spandex, Lycra and cleats in the locker room.

bullet1.gifBuying tip

Buy shorts in a light khaki color; they'll go with absolutely everything. Team them with a sleeveless collared polo shirt in either white, black, red or stripes. A white sweater will also coordinate with anything.

We will be taking our 4th Oceania cruise in December, because we find that the itineraries are wonderful and the other passengers are interesting. Because my husband and I have never gone with a group, we have always joined other tables at dinner and enjoy talking with people of all ages from different areas of the country (Oceania tends to draw a USA crowd). We travel light so appreciate that it isn't necessary to bring "dress up" clothes. As others have indicated, you won't see people in jeans, but you can wear comfortable nice pants and tops. And for those that enjoy dressing up, that is possible too.

On our last cruise, we met a couple in their late 20's that were having a last European trip before the birth of their baby, and they had a wonderful time. I hope you will too.

This on-going debate about what is or is not "country club casual" is one that has as many opinions as staterooms on the Insignia! Wear whatever you feel appropriate in any given situation. If you're in jeans in the dining room, you'll very quickly feel out of place - assuming you get past the Maitre d'. Jackets are 100% optional - if you want - wear one. This is a great opportunity to exercise your personal choices within normal educated parameters. Nobody is going to step up and be a critic on your dress (I hope). It's your charming personality that matters after all isn't it?

This on-going debate about what is or is not "country club casual" is one that has as many opinions as staterooms on the Insignia! Wear whatever you feel appropriate in any given situation. If you're in jeans in the dining room, you'll very quickly feel out of place - assuming you get past the Maitre d'. Jackets are 100% optional - if you want - wear one. This is a great opportunity to exercise your personal choices within normal educated parameters. Nobody is going to step up and be a critic on your dress (I hope). It's your charming personality that matters after all isn't it?

Yes about your charming personality it shows in your post:) ..

as far as jeans.. well, for day yes, for evening it just isn't a happening in the dining rooms.

You will see that everyone gets a bit "dressed " for dinner.. unless you want to buffet it and then ofcourse the jeans are fine..

At almost 50, to me "Country Club Casual" is a nice way of saying "No jeans or short shorts, and only collared shirts." A blazer always looks nice, but no need for a suit.

My husband actually enjoys bringing suits and dressing up, but I think the fact it's not required is really nice especially on Mediterranean itineraries!

I'd like to see some cruisers photos who are on Oceania ships so I will have a better idea of "Who" is cruising Oceania!

Any photos out there?!

I'm in the Groucho Marx Country Club. Sports Coats are not required.Sandals are okay as long as they don't clash with your pants. No Rolexes or other ostentatious jewelry allowed, and no green or plaid golf pants even at lunch; they promote indigestion.

At almost 50, to me "Country Club Casual" is a nice way of saying "No jeans or short shorts, and only collared shirts." A blazer always looks nice, but no need for a suit.

My husband actually enjoys bringing suits and dressing up, but I think the fact it's not required is really nice especially on Mediterranean itineraries!

I'd like to see some cruisers photos who are on Oceania ships so I will have a better idea of "Who" is cruising Oceania!

Any photos out there?!

There's an Oceania board on yahoo and plenty of photo's posted.

Jane

No plaid golf slacks? That does it for me. That eliminates the better part of my wardrobe! And NO Rolexes? What has the cruise world become? I'm outa here!

Well, you could wear those green plaid slacks up at the golf area :-) very golf sheik ......:eek:

That reminds me of President Kennedy's speech at the Berlin Wall, when he said "Ich bin ein Berliner" which means "I am a doughnut" (a "Berliner" being a kind of local pastry) instead of "Ich bin Berliner" which means "I am a Berliner." If one is an Arabian, then one is a kind of horse; if one is Arabian, then one is an Arab. LOL I think that either an Arabian or an Arab wearing green plaid slacks would be a sight worth seeing.

Archived