To anyone who lives in Ft. Lauderdale area

curiousjly

I have questions about stores and such. My daughter and I will be on a cruise in Nov, on the Enchantment. I have booked a room at the Extended Stay America. Are there any shops (Walmat, Target type) nearby where we can go and pick up some forgotten items?

We won't be buying liquer (sp?), but personal items, things we might forget, or want to save the weight room for other items.

Also, could you give me an idea of cab fares? I don't think there is shuttle service from the airport to hotel, from hotel to cruiseport. So, could you give me a ballpark figure?

I have mobility problems, so can not walk far distances. So, even if stores are "walking distances" for some, for me, it may not be possible. And I WILL NOT let my daughter go alone, even though she is 23.

Thanks for the help.

Jly

There's a Publix grocery store (behind the big yellow Embassy Suites) about 3 blocks or so from Extended Stay, a Walgreens about a block east, and a CVS across the street and about a block west. There are no Walmarts anywhere near that area of Fort Lauderdale, and the closest Target is at Federal Hwy. & Oakland Park Blvd., that's about 20-30 minutes away in traffic. I would think most things you would need you could get at Publix, CVS or Walgreens though.

SE 17th Street is a safe area, but if you don't want to let your daughter go alone a taxi to any of those places wouldn't cost more than a few dollars, they're all well under a mile away. Taxis in that area are quite plentiful.

A taxi from FLL to Extended Stay should cost around $10 or so, and a little less from Extended Stay into Port Everglades.

Thanks for the help. Walgreens, none here in my home area. Will do fine. Can't see filling the luggage with lotions and such. More rooms for clothes and shoes, LOL.

My daughter and I might walk, if I can do it, and then get a cab back with all the stuff.

Jly

Trent -- By any chance are you familiar with the Dania/Fed'l Highway area? We are considering a pre-cruise stay at a new Super 8 (opened in April '04) and are wondering about the location. Have checked TripAdvisor and there is only a comment on a billing problem, but no review on the facility itself or the area in which it is located. Would appreciate any input.

Jly - I don't know how much walking you can do, but if you can walk to the front of a large ship to the back you should be able to walk from Extended Stay to Walgreens. It's just east of Extended Stay, on the same side of the street, past the Holiday Inn Express and the Art Institute School.

Southbound - That Super 8 looks okay on the outside, it was newly built when it opened. The neighborhood isn't the greatest, but it's okay, just a little old and not much worth walking to. A stay there is best if you have a car.

Trent

Thanks for the good advice. We are staying at the Lago Mar and will be depending on a taxi. Any good restaurants you can recomend, like for good ribs. We like Flanigans, but there aren't any close.

Thanks

Archived