NYC Port Question

Cindyscruising

I will be getting dropped off at the NYC Pier for my upcoming Breakaway cruise. It will be my first experience departing from NYC. Will I be able to check my luggage in with a porter right there at the drop off area?

I will be bringing several bottles of wine (in a box) on board as well. I plan to just put a luggage tag on the box. Does this get taken at the same time I give my luggage or will I have to check it in at a separate time?

Porters are available on the upper level where you get dropped off.

You have to carry the wine on with you to pay the $15 charge. Not even sure you can check it, will result in you having to go to "the naughty room" to collect it and pay the fee.

Thanks Johnny for the quick reply. I definitely will be paying the $15 fee per bottle - I didn't mean to imply I was trying to hide it in a box, LOL sorry if I wasn't clear!

I am just trying to figure out how far I will have to carry the heavy box and if I should bring a little foldable wheely cart.

You go up the ramp on the left side, go towards the very end. You will see the porters and drop off the luggage. The entrance is there, 20ft from the sidewalk. You have to carry the wine and go in line. You go through the metal detector and an NCL crew will be on the left side, you give them your name and cabin number, you will see the $15 charge later on. They put a sticker on it. Then, you carry it with you into the ship. Depending on your cabin, you might have to walk to the very end of the boarding area. How many bottles are you planning to bring? If it is just a couple, put it in a carrying shoulder bag

Edited by ma_t_gus

You can give the wine to the porters, but then what happens?

Eventually it gets flagged and you go downstairs to pay the fee. And, you hope it gets there all in one piece.

I would suggest either a normal roll aboard like people fly with. That is what we do. Then wheel it to lunch, then to your cabin.

I will be getting dropped off at the NYC Pier for my upcoming Breakaway cruise. It will be my first experience departing from NYC. Will I be able to check my luggage in with a porter right there at the drop off area?

I will be bringing several bottles of wine (in a box) on board as well. I plan to just put a luggage tag on the box. Does this get taken at the same time I give my luggage or will I have to check it in at a separate time?

One of the best luggage "investments" I have made, was a 6 bottle wine rolling cooler. It has removable dividers and have used for other things. I actually have two of them. You can get 12 bottle capacity, too, although I would think would be quite heavy lifting on the scanners.

When I took wine on the Epic out of Miami last year, it was a painfully slow process to get them checked in, paid for and stickers put on. It was not busy (2PM) and no one in front of me. There were two people who took turns leaving the table, chatting, discussing each bottle and examining as tho they were looking for something. 20 minutes later, process was completed; I was annoyed. Not enough to discourage me from doing it again in a few months<g>

If it is heavy, plan for a way to be able to wheel it. You will be lugging it quite a distance and for a while until you get on the ship. You can't just check it with luggage (only soda/water). Have a great cruise. I love leaving from NYC!

I'm curious how you get from MA to NY. I've been taking academy busses each time. I recently read how the ship left the bus people behind because it was late. This makes me nervous. Do you have a better way?