Elf on the Shelf...goes on a cruise!

Jessie2013

We set sail on December 14 on FOS. We're departing home on the 11th and will be spending the days in Orlando prior to the cruise. We have a 4 year old son and are aiming to keep the excitement and anticipation of Christmas alive during our vacation.

We have Elf on the Shelf, although ours takes a bit of a different spin. Instead of being naughty himself & watching to see if our son is naughty or nice & reporting back to Santa, our elf is a "kindness elf". Each day he does something kind (cleans my son's playroom, does the dishes, feeds the dog) or leaves a note with instructions (and necessary instruments) to facilitate doing something kind for someone else. Last year he brought presents for the kid's at preschool, requested that my son buy someone a coffee when we went to Starbucks that day, leaves ingredients out to bake our elderly neighbor muffins, asks that my son shovel the snow of the neighbor's driveway, etc.

The Elf arrives on December 1 usually and departs Christmas Eve. 12 of those days we will be traveling, 7 of them on the ship. I need to prepare, in advance, for the 12 days of kindness that the elf will be involved in while we're gone. I'd love some ideas of what we can do, specifically on the cruise ship. Obviously, tips are the easiest, but I don't want my son to only see the elf leaving money for 12 days straight. What other acts of kindness can we perform for the crew members, passengers, or those we encounter on the islands (Coco Cay, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)? Thanks!

I am trying to think of different things that seem to be outside of the box.

When we were at Coco Cay someone was walking by us and gave us 2 vouchers for floating mats they had won on the cruise and would not be using. It ended up being one of the greatest days out of our entire cruise. I think the floats are like $15. Maybe let him rent one and then hand it out to someone.

Maybe take a package of candy canes and pass them out one day to passengers, crew members, etc

Have him color a picture as a thank you for your room attendant.

Depending on the crowds give up your place in line at the windjammer or anywhere else that has a wait. (elevators would be a nice choice certain times of the day)

Hope some of these ideas help. Sounds like fun!:)

Bag of candies for room attendant, leave the do not disturb sign up either in the morning or evening giving the room attendant a shorter shift, put your pool towels back where they belong (in the dirty baskets). Give a thank you card to someone for a good job. That's a great idea to teach your child to be kind to others if more people would do this the world would be a better place!

Edited by tidygirl

Love, love the towel animal idea.

Perhaps a home made Christmas card for the room attendant, MDR waiter, or a random passenger? Maybe a toy for a fellow child on board?

Enjoy your cruise, I'm sure the Elf on the Shelf will make it just that more special.

Karen

Buy an ice cream for someone waiting in line? That's still money, but could make a child's day.

Invite someone to dance during a parade or dancing by the pool? I'm thinking a nice grandma type that might be toe-tapping but is not actually getting up to dance? He could go ask her and I bet she would LOVE it!

I love the candy cane idea; you can get those small ones ahead of time and give him a box for the day and to have him hand them out to people he meets

Have him offer to "help" the dining room waitstaff in some way? Clear a table or carry dessert to the table for everyone?

Have a great trip (and report back in please!)

I love the idea of getting your child involved in making someone else happy! Please let me tell you a similar family story, without the elf, but one that has made a lasting impression on our kids.

Our family often travels during the Christmas holiday. One year, maybe 12 years ago, we were actually flying on Christmas Day, and I wanted to thank the workers that made it possible for us to visit my family. I bought a bunch of the pin light-up things (about $1 each, not cheap) and a few Christmas bulb necklaces. We had three young boys at the time, and I enlisted their help handing them out to TSA agents, workers at airport food court, pilots, stewards, etc. Just a few were a little awkward and said no, but most were so excited to be thanked and recognized for working Christmas. We always tell them we appreciate them working during the holiday so that our family can be together, and we hope they see their family soon.

We have since made it a very fun family tradition when we travel over the holidays (usually every other year). It's probably been 12 years and my 18, 16 and 13yo boys still enjoy bringing a smile to a stranger's face. And I can't tell you how rewarding it is a parent to see my teen boy seek out someone who "looks lonely" to give some Christmas cheer.

I know many posters will say workers always want tips, and I agree. But a few special pins or necklaces from a young child thanking them for allowing him to have a fun vacation with his family (recognizing they are away from their family) and wishing them Merry Christmas will go a long way in spreading Christmas cheer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Instead of folding a towel animal, perhaps he could fold an origami animal like the crane, to hand out. It's fairly easy and can come in different sizes and colors. You could also take the opportunity to read him a great children's book called 1000 Cranes. Then the book could be left in the ships library for another child to find or he could give it to another child he met in the kids club.

Edited by bmarchal

An "extra credit day" (because it might be hard to guarantee you see someone in their service uniform, although almost always in an airport) would be to have him look for a man or woman in their service uniform and go up, shake their hand and tell thank them for their service. Bonus points if you find them in line buying a meal and he pays for it. (That's another fun thing we make a game of when we fly).

Sent from my iPad using Forums