Snorkeling: st john versus sapphire beach??

When we got off the ship, we walked outside the gate area. Taxis there were $10.00 pp and we were being cheap.

We walked to the left towards the KMart, about 15 minutes. On the left side, right before getting to the KMArt plaza, there was a small diagonal street. No markings, no bus stop, nothing. But a nice lady was there and we asked her where to catch the bus to Red Hook. She told us right there. Seconds later, along came an open-air bus/taxi. We asked the driver to make sure he was going to Red Hook. He was. $2.00 pp later and we were on our way.

15 minutes or so and we arrived at Red Hook. Tickets to St. John cost $14 pp round trip, CASH only. The ferry left every hour on the hour, exactly. A couple came at 10:01 and, though the ferry was still docked and the gangway still down, were not allowed to board.

I would love for Blue Waters or any one with experience provide info comparing Coki with Sapphire beach for snorkeling..... Thank you in Advance.

20 minutes or so and we arrived at Cruz Bay. We asked for a taxi to Trunk Bay and were directed right to one. $6.00 pp and we were on our way.

A few minutes or so and we arrived at Trunk Bay. We were there last October when the US Govt was shut down so there was no admittance fee. Usually the cost is $4.00 pp.

Trunk Bay was stunning. There was a lot of shade from trees avaiable as well as a lot of sunny sand. Though the govt was closed (2/3 of St. John is a national park) lifeguards were there, working for free because they were concerned about swimmers (the water was calm as can be!) and the washroom attendant was also there, also working for free, to keep the washrooms spotless. Though there was food and drink, and lounge chairs, none were available either due to the closing.

Five hours or so and we were ready to head back. We just reversed everything but after the taxi dropped us off at Cruz Bay we walked around some quaint shops. I bought some delicious spices at The Spice Shop right at the pier. Soon we were on the ferry and back at the ship about two hours before last embarkation time.

(About two hours into our sunbathing and water frolicking, the Carnival people were called to return to the street. We were shocked at the short amount of time they got to spend there, especially for the price paid.)

Total cost going on our own: $30.00 pp (add $4.00 pp now)

Total cost going with Carnival: $69.95 pp

Part of our adventures included running into people from the ship who were on their way to KMart because the woman forgot all her bras at home :o, sharing a bus seat on the way back to the ship with an odoriferous (think marijuana) local man :D as well as many high school kids. It was pretty cool to see that the kids on St. Thomas were no different than those on mainland US. Some texted on their phones, some worked on homework, some listened to mp3 music, some talked and laughed in groups, some yelled out to friends who were walking.

If/when we go back to St. Thomas, we are going back to St. John, using our adventurous method again.

Hope this helps. Have a great time.

Thanks for the specifics. I did not see your post before I asked for them. However, my dilemma is that we are arriving at the new port. Not Havensight. So how do we get to Red Hook on a $2. Safari from there.

Edited by ONCRUISEMODE

I love both places but coming on a cruise ship I gotta give another vote to Sapphire. The main reason is just the extra time you could be spending on the beach. A second possible reason is for those going in the winter when the Xmas winds are high. I was staying at Sapphire in February and we went over to Trunk a couple of times and both times the trail was closed and there was almost no beach because of the waves/wind. So Trunk can be quite a disappointment in the winter. Sapphire was a little choppy on these days as well, but you were definitely able to snorkel, even beginners too as there is so much more at Sapphire in shallow areas. The windy days we went over to Trunk I went out a little bit but was quite intimidated to go around the trail and I'm a pretty decent swimmer.

I don't know, it's such a tough call because Trunk is and can be beautiful, still, to play it safe and know you will have a beautiful view and definitely see some creatures even if you have to stay close to shore because of conditions I would go with Sapphire.

Yes we moored off Honeymoon in Caneel Bay in Jan and the beach was all but nonexistent. We too find Sapphire good to snorkel in shallow water, many folks complain they don't find that. I recommend they ask the dive shop or an owner where to snorkel next visit.