Msc did not accept our MasterCard

alfie1963

What I don't understand is they accepted this card to make a payment when we booked cruise.but I think the issue is some card readers don't accept it as a debit card as it's a new thing with MasterCard being a debit card.

What I don't understand is they accepted this card to make a payment when we booked cruise.but I think the issue is some card readers don't accept it as a debit card as it's a new thing with MasterCard being a debit card.

If using a debit card, even with a MC or Visa logo, a big problem can be the daily spending limit. We bank at Wells Fargo and even if I had a million dollars sitting in the checking account my combined ATM withdrawals and purchases on my debit card cannot exceed the $1000 daily limit. So, even if they get an initial authorization up to $1000, if the final bill is $2000, my bank will reject it because it exceeds the daily spending limit.

Different banks have different policies. Also, if they got an original hold of say $500 and you spent that, then they would get an additional hold for whatever you spent the next day and so on each day of the cruise. Then, at the end they will try to get an authorization for the grand total, which can be double the actual charges when you add up the individual holds and the final bill. It can take a week to 10 days for the holds to drop off, depending on your banks policies.

It is never a good idea to use a debit card for onboard expenses because it can tie up a substantial amount of cash. In fact our bank manager told us to never use our debit cards except at a branch ATM to get cash. She said to never use an ATM in a store or on a ship because it is too easy for a scam artist to put a card reader on these sites. She spends most of her time as branch manager dealing with debit card problems. Better to tie up the line of credit on a credit card, which won't impact life after the cruise. Thankfully, we have multiple credit cards that all have high limits.

We plan to use a Mastercard for the onboard charges because it has no international transaction fees. I will have to notify them of the charges coming from a foreign bank. I have actually toyed with the idea of telling them I will be in Miami, Paris and Geneva so they allow it. Then I can tell another Mastercard I will be in Nassau and Bermuda and use that card for purchases in the ports.

If push comes to shove I will use my American Express, but not unless I have to because it has a 2.7% international transaction fee. The good thing about AMEX is that I don't have to notify them when I will be traveling and where I will be. They dropped that requirement several years ago.

which MC do you use with no international fee? I might need to apply for one. All my cards visa & MC charge an international fee. I have used my Bank Card on every cruise without incident (just could be lucky). I always have a credit card as a back up. I also not not have a daily spending limit but do have an ATM withdrawal limit. I bank at Fifth Third and Wells Fargo.

which MC do you use with no international fee? I might need to apply for one. All my cards visa & MC charge an international fee. I have used my Bank Card on every cruise without incident (just could be lucky). I always have a credit card as a back up. I also not not have a daily spending limit but do have an ATM withdrawal limit. I bank at Fifth Third and Wells Fargo.

I have Capital One Mastercard without any international transaction fees and I have a United Club Mastercard issued by Chase. My Capital One card is a free card, but the United card costs a bundle because it comes with membership in the United Club. I also understand that Discover has done away with the international transaction fees too, but it is not as widely accepted.

Here is what it says on the Capital One website:

Capital One does not charge a fee for using your credit card for foreign currency transactions. Foreign purchases will be converted at the foreign exchange rate in effect at the time of processing the charge.

I know I have always gotten good exchange rates from Capital One. I used that card last month in Costa Rica for purchases and it was the best exchange rate the entire trip.

Edited by DebJ14