Embarcation on the Epic

gogispu

Ok, question for all the seasoned Mediterranean travelers..........what is embarcation like in Europe? We will be getting on the Epic in Barcelona. Is it like in FL with a large terminal or more like a hotel check in? Also, are we able to walk on with our luggage or are there porters available? Last, as a newbie to NCL, what about lifeboat drills etc as we are boarding passengers in a variety of ports? Are they done the same way as in the states or is it at one's own option ?

Thanks for any and all info

Anne

It is like any other port in that there are porters and security, and the health questionnaire, and you stand in lines for port personnel to get checked in, and you wait for permission to board. Fast and efficient NCL boardings. There is a difference in that after you have gone through security there are liquor and wine stores before you go up the escalator to the ship where you can purchase before you board. Unless they have changed that in the last year you can buy and drink it on board.

It's true that there are liquor shops after the first security scanners (in Barcelona), but they have scanners when you board the ship.

They are not always used, but they are there and were used on embarking the Epic on Oct 26.

Ymmv.

Muster drills within one cruise line are exactly the same all around the world, it is a maritime regulation that a muster drill must be attended within 24 hrs from the embarkation. NCL and many other cruise lines have had drills before sailing - NCL as long as we've sailed with them - and after the Costa Concordia accident their own association (CLIA) recommended that drills would be held before sailaway and all remaining cruise lines also followed suit. So no, there are no options on how and where to take it.

Ok, question for all the seasoned Mediterranean travelers..........what is embarcation like in Europe? We will be getting on the Epic in Barcelona. Is it like in FL with a large terminal or more like a hotel check in? Also, are we able to walk on with our luggage or are there porters available? Last, as a newbie to NCL, what about lifeboat drills etc as we are boarding passengers in a variety of ports? Are they done the same way as in the states or is it at one's own option ?

Thanks for any and all info

Anne

Seriously? It was the worst embarkation we have ever experienced - and that includes five x Costa cruises in Europe. For the TA in Barcelona - just mayhem queues going as far back as one could see. And then when we finally got into the terminal - sat around for ages and then - PORT STAFF note NOT NCL staff on check in were clueless. We tried to ask about our UBP and he did not care and did not have a clue - I asked him did he work for NCL "No" "Barcelona Port" - one of the BEST cruises ever - but that boarding was horrendous - we got a taxi and were in port around 12.30pm - just mayhem -

Would I do it again tomorrow??? In a heartbeat ;)

FABulous cruise!!!

Seriously? It was the worst embarkation we have ever experienced - and that includes five x Costa cruises in Europe. For the TA in Barcelona - just mayhem queues going as far back as one could see. And then when we finally got into the terminal - sat around for ages and then - PORT STAFF note NOT NCL staff on check in were clueless. We tried to ask about our UBP and he did not care and did not have a clue - I asked him did he work for NCL "No" "Barcelona Port" - one of the BEST cruises ever - but that boarding was horrendous - we got a taxi and were in port around 12.30pm - just mayhem -

Would I do it again tomorrow??? In a heartbeat ;)

FABulous cruise!!!

4 times out of Barcelona, no problem ever and no second scanners. Yes, rainbows follow me.... just kidding about the rainbows, not the boarding:)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

We tried to ask about our UBP and he did not care and did not have a clue - I asked him did he work for NCL "No" "Barcelona Port"

That applies to all other ports too. The people behind check-in counters are port contractor's staff everywhere and they do know about what has been trained to them - helping people with their check-in related stuff. Asking about UBP there is the same as trying to make restaurant or show reservations while checking in.

That applies to all other ports too. The people behind check-in counters are port contractor's staff everywhere and they do know about what has been trained to them - helping people with their check-in related stuff. Asking about UBP there is the same as trying to make restaurant or show reservations while checking in.

I was not to know that, and as he was taking our card data - and giving us our sail card - I asked was the UBP already on there. On Costa, there is no sticker - its already in place - My cousin boarded and was signing up for drinks without the sticker.

Say as you wish - in OUR experience it was the most chaotic boarding ever,

I appreciate it was a busy cruise, lot of people boarding -just in OUR experience - the worst we have had...

We ASKED NCL staff on board regarding the UBP and were told we had to go get a sticker. How on earth is someone to know this ?(not everyone reads CC) If they are given their card at check in - and know they have booked and paid for UBP - one would assume (as is the case on other cruiselines) - it is already in place.

The ONLY reason I knew - was that I had read on here various reports that some had/had not the UBP already in place.

If they are going to give port authorities the ability to sign off your credit card and hand you your sailcard, would be appropriate to hand a note at check in telling the guests where to obtain their UBP - This was all new to us. We are used to boarding straight away, (and that included Barcelona) - our cards are in our cabin - and even if our cabins were not ready - we could just tell the waiter our cabin numbers and drinks were included from the minute we board. We then - within 48 hours, had to present a credit card either to guest services or at one of the totem machines throughout the ship.

There did seem to be lines for Lattitudes - (which we are) but we had already been given a tag and number and told to wait.

Thankfully - there was juice and water available - but it was a drag indeed..

HOWEVER - IT WAS WORTH IT - cruise was fantastic and that's the main thing!

Edited by Blondie008