Please help to pick a cruise line...

lrmg1228

I have to disagree Nancy, you can have a fabulous destination but if the environment on board is something you are not comfortable with it can be miserable getting there. Just my own opinion:D

I never said that the ship doesn't matter. But for me, the destination comes first, and then the ship. My mom, on the other hand, doesn't get off the ship any more, so for her the ship is everything. She prefers Crystal, so her choices are limited to the Symphony or the Serenity. :)

The OP was interested in the Caribbean or Alaska. There's no shortage of ships sailing to either location, especially in the Caribbean. Once she decides where to go, it will be easier to choose the ship.

"Itinerary first" is what I have been reading on the Alaska forum. However, not everyone agrees on what constitutes the best itinerary! Some insist that you must include Glacier Bay - thereby eliminating several cruiselines that don't sail there. Others liked Hubbard Glacier better than Glacier Bay. In my opinion, the itinerary shouldn't be determined by one port, but by the whole itinerary. Several itineraries on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean with Hubbard Glacier interest me more than those on Princess and HAL with Glacier Bay. Once I narrow down the itinerary, I will book the cruise based on the ship and price. I already know I like the Radiance-class ships on RCI, so I'm sure I'd be happy on either Radiance or Serenade of the Seas. Unfortunately, I won't be cruising to Alaska until 2007, so all this is speculation until 2007 schedules become available some time next spring.

My last cruise was with Celebrity, had it been my first I would never cruise again! The line is in my opinion overrated, and, it has a lot to learn about customer relations. Most lines have faults, but I would advise Princess, or HAL, I have been very happy with both, and have at present, a cruise booked with each line. Good luck :) john

I would say that NCL is your best bet. Freestyle Cruising is absolutely for you- that way you aren't forced to eat with the same people every night. I find that NCL has the best food of the major cruise lines.

I just sailed on CCL for the first time and I have to object to the Walmart reference. I have never actually been to Walmart as I live in the city and they tend to be in rural and suburban areas, but I HAVE been on CCL and it was not downmarket at all. I am a lawyer and I met plenty of lawyers on board. There were many families but no kids running wild- not even one. If you are cruising Alaska then you might do well to stay away from the more stodgy lines or you will die of boredom.

The thing to remember is that what bothers you, or doesn't interest you, on shore will have no bearing on what you find entertaining at sea. My mother has a Harvard PhD and was married to an architect for 30 years... refined taste she has in spades. She was just laughing her @** off at the hairy chest contest two days ago. You will find that after a few days you loosen up considerably and drop any attitude you bring with you on board. Happens to me every time.

I chose CCL because of the quad cabins and sweated bullets for three months because of the negative CCL reviews I read. I shouldn't have bothered. It was a great cruise.

I hope I attached this correctly, this is my first time. Anyway I have a friend that cruises with CCL several times a year. She loves it. She has also cruised with RCL, but keeps going back to CCL. I think I am going to figure out which type of cruise I want to take (Caribbean or Alaskan) and then go from there as to what each line has to offer. I will keep up with the boards to see what consumers are saying.

Thanks for the advice...

Archived