Help! re: casual v. smart casual dinner attire

Snoopy123

Hello fashion gurus! I need advice on a very cute dress I bought at Old Navy for my cruise:

http://www.oldnavy.com/asp/Product.asp?wdid=200831&wpid=233803

For those who don't want to go look at it, it's a strapless, knee-length sundress type with hibiscus flowers on it.

Anyway, I was thinking it would work for "smart casual" night...but being that it's a cotton/spandex mix, should I only wear it for a casual night? I have to admit, I've read the directions for smart casual vs. casual and really don't know where this fits in.

Thanks for any input/advice, I really appreciate it!!!

Mariner of the Seas, 9/12/04!!!

hey snoop dog- your post is getting some hits but no responses so i thought i would at least give you a man's opinion.

i think it's a good looking summer casual dress. meaning i would go with it on one of the more casual nights. and i'm sure you'll look great in it.

it'll also be great if you go to any outdoor cocktail parties this summer. have you thought about shoes yet?

Thank you both for your input! See, I'm obviously confused about the distinction between "smart casual" and just regular "casual". I'm glad I checked!

I appreciated the man's point of view. icon_smile.gif As for shoes, I'm thinking a white strappy sandal with a heel would be perfect! I can't wait to get on my cruise so I can wear it!!!

great dress, but I too agree it's for a casual night. I always tend to be dressed along those lines for casual evenings, like you're going to a nice restauraunt locally.

Have fun, you'll look great!

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

When in doubt, being over-dressed is better and more stylish than being underdressed....esp on a cruise. Your dress is perfect for a "casual" night. But as you will see, some people will really push it on those casual nights, but they are more the exception than the rule. Most people do adhere to the suggested dress codes for the evening. I can't help but remember one fellow's (avoidable) faux pas on formal night. His idea of formal wear was a pair of very well worn in jeans, cowboy boots, a dark colored blazer with a scooped neck white T-shirt. His straggly middle-of-the-back ponytail completed the look. icon_rolleyes.gif

Zenith 09/97

Rhapsody of the Seas 2/98

Zenith 6/99

Sea Princess 7/01

Mercury 01/03

I have a question, what cruiselines have casual nights and smart casual nights? I don't understand. I thought casual dinner outfit did mean smart casual. Real casual was more for the day....

I'm lost again with all those ''rules''.

Carnival Valor for the Vampires Halloween Party: countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;30;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn, December 2003

What cruiselines have casual night AND smart casual nights? never heard of that. I thought when casual was written for dinner attire, it had to be smart casual and the real casual was more for the day. Please help me understand because I am lost again with all the rules and now this new one.

Carnival Valor for the Vampires Halloween Party: countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;30;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn, December 2003

I've never understood the different between the 'casual' and 'smart casual' dress code, so I generally wear what I've had on all day, which is usually a sundress.

The fact is, unless it's formal night, and you aren't dressed like a slob, nobody cares.

That dress is very pretty. I think it would work for either dress code, especially with a heeled sandal.

T

Thank you all so much for the great input! For those who asked, it's Royal Caribbean that we're going to be on. On my 7-day cruise, we'll have two formal nights, one smart casual night, and four casual nights. Royal Caribbean's guidelines for those nights (from their website) are:

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Didn't seem too terribly helpful to me! I suppose I'll play it safe and wear this dress for casual night, and something a little dressier for "smart casual" night.

Thanks again for all the input!!!

Cute dress! I do agree that it would look great on a casual night. icon_smile.gif

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

Archived