Cruising after Gastric Bypass

I had GBP several years ago. I don't eat any differently on cruise than I do at home or on business travel. By now you know the feelings of being full, eating too much and dumping. You also know what you can and cannot eat (milk and sugar for me). My advice, eat to your new norm.

As for alcohol, I do not have the over-sensitivity that others have expressed and can drink as I could before my surgery.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

My husband had Gastic Bypass and has had no problem cruising... The one suggestion that I will make is to tell you Wait Staff up front that you cannot eat huge portions... They get upset if you don't eat your food and wonder if its because you don't like it and want to bring you something else to eat or it was cold or something was wrong..

If they know up front, they will not feel bad and will not push you to eat or try something else.. As long as you are able to stop when you feel full, you should be fine....

Hey guys, I just had Gastric Bypass in May. Any tips from anyone that has also cruised after Gastric Bypass?

I went 6 months after by gastric bypass. I had a bit of a problem just getting anything to digest. Small portions was all I could eat then (15yrs ago). I did find that a hot cup of coffee or tea after my evening meal helped a great deal . That was a suggestion from a very concerned waiter of ours in the MDR. He was such a great person!

Hi, I had gastric bypass on Sept 23, 2014 and we are cruising Pride out of Tampa on 12/14/14. I am glad to see this post. I am finished all my phases of diet. Can eat what I want now. I was a little concerned about eating in the main dining room during Dinner. Buffets not so concerned cause I can portion control a little better. But now that I know to tell wait staff ahead of time about the Bariatric surgery I had, I will. That way they know its not the food, but me and I can only eat small portions to a time. I have found at home that Decaf tea after my meals does indeed settle my stomach. So will continue doing that while on cruise. Gas X dissolvable on your tongue strips are a godsend and am taking a supply with me. I am also bringing my protein powder for my shakes and my large covered water bottle to mix them in and bring water with me on excursions. So I think I will be ok on the cruise. Its nice to know that I am not the only one out there that is cruising after Bariatric Bypass Surgery.

I had Gastric Bypass several years ago and during the 1st year cruised several times. I had to switch from salads to soups and don't eat any bread with my meal. I also usually get the fish option for my main dish, fish is just moister and easier for me to digest.

I do eat chicken and steak but I have to be very careful about small bites and eating slowly. Even after all these years I still get stuck occasionally if I'm not paying attention and eat to fast.

You can order the appetizers as your main course. A lot of the appetizers are just smaller portions of a main course dish. The waiters will certainly ask if there was something wrong with your meal if it doesn't look like you have eaten much....not a problem, they will just want to be sure that you enjoy your meal. As stated above, let them know in advance about small portions, avoid the bread and take small bites. Enjoy!

I had GBP surgery 13 yrs ago and have been on 20+ cruises since than, including 7 2 to 4 wk transatlantic trips and have never had a problem with eating, as a matter of fact, I find cruising to be the easiest venue for controling what I eat. Now, I realize that not all by-pass surgeries are the same and that each one of us can have different concerns or problems. For example the type of surgery I had does not cause "dumping" or vomiting. I can pretty much eat anything I want but if I overeat or eat something that does not agree with me I do get that bloated, "I am going to explode feeling". Usually this happens if I eat too many carbs so I limit those foods. Pasta and ice cream are particular culprits. I have never found it necessary to bring protein shakes with me as there are plenty of protein foods available. For breakfast I eat either eggs, bacon, smoked salmon, corned beef hash, cheese etc. For lunch and dinner there are plenty of choices including hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, fish and beef dishes. I love to snack on the different little chunks of cheese and often take a little plate back to the cabin so I can eat them later in the day. I don't have a problem with alcohol but I do with soda so that is a good reason to stick to booze, coffee or iced tea. I find that what works for me is multiple little meals throughout the day and a cruise ship is ideal for that.

I have never found it necessary to inform any staff member of my surgery. It is not their business. I also don't find it necessary to explain my food choices / needs to anyone: sauce on the side, swap out the pasta for a baked potato and so forth. If asked why I didn't finish my meal I simply tell them with a smile that I am full and that is the end of the conversation.

For me GBS has eliminated rather than created problems. I don't find it necessary to bring special foods with me when traveling, protein bars etc. No matter where I have been, on a cruise ship or a foreign country, I have always been able to find something appropriate to eat. GBS has simplified my life not complicated it. I do understand that we are all different and have different needs but this has been my experience. I hope that it is yours.

Lastly, something that works great for me when I am feeling bloated is to lay on my left side for about 20 to 30 minutes and the pressure and bloating diminishes significantly.

:D

Have a great cruise!

Edited by luvs2beachit

I too had surgery a number of years ago and have never thought to mention it to the waiters.

I order what I want to eat and stop eating when I am full. I have never had any issues with any of the waiters questioning the amount of food I have eaten or tried to force more food on me. If they ask if I would like anything else, no thank you - I'm stuffed. :)

Fortunately there is such a huge variety of foods to choose from that I have never had an issue finding something that fit in my diet and didn't upset my tummy - from appetizers to dessert.

Go to the dining room - order your fav dishes - ask them to make any alterations you may need and enjoy!

My first cruise post GB I made the waiters panic because I could eat so little and this was AFTER explaining that I would not be able to. I had a bite of the sugar free dessert every night and was more than happy with that. I also hit up the gym a few times and walked the ship every morning after breakfast. It was a fun cruise and I know you'll have fun! One of the perks was that I'd lost so much weight that I felt normal in a swimsuit AND I had way more energy to have fun! :)

My first cruise post GB I made the waiters panic because I could eat so little and this was AFTER explaining that I would not be able to. I had a bite of the sugar free dessert every night and was more than happy with that. I also hit up the gym a few times and walked the ship every morning after breakfast. It was a fun cruise and I know you'll have fun! One of the perks was that I'd lost so much weight that I felt normal in a swimsuit AND I had way more energy to have fun! :)

Love your comment about feeling "normal". I feel the same way! It's almost a compliment when someone walks past me! I love hearing that they were sorry to have ignored me because they didn't see me standing there!!:D

Love your comment about feeling "normal". I feel the same way! It's almost a compliment when someone walks past me! I love hearing that they were sorry to have ignored me because they didn't see me standing there!!:D

Yes!!! On that same cruise my sister kept telling me to stop flattening myself against the wall to let people get around me because there was plenty of room. LOL. Your body changes way before your brain ;)

To tell or not to tell the waitstaff.....I have done it both ways and it really just depended on the waitstaff that we had on the cruise. On one of our cruises after my GB surgery when I had left such a large amount of food on my plate they became very concerned and wanted to "make it right". I kept trying to explain to them that I was just full but they really were concerned something was wrong with the food. After a couple of nights of that my DH just got some extra food on his plate (off of mine) so that they weren't so worried about it. Other cruises it has not been an issue and they just whisk the plate away when it's time. As far as having good choices and not over indulging I have really never found this to be a problem for me personally. I don't like that miserable feeling so I stop eating and just enjoy the company. I've also never felt the need to take protein supplements with me - been able to find plenty of protein on the ship.

My DW is about 2 years post surgery. Agree w/ everything above. She does some appetizers for main courses some nights or just doesn't eat it all. If the wait staff asks if everything was ok she explains the situation. The bigger pain is that the surgery has caused her to be gluten intolerant, but that has been addressed before. What I wanted to touch on is the Steakhouse. Pre-surgery we would usually take an evening for a special meal. There is NO way she can eat a plate by herself. So we split one. So if you enjoy that it's still an option, just let them know ahead of time. It had to be approved by the Steakhouse manager. Have a great cruise!

Thanks everyone, I was a little worried, and also afraid my wife will not enjoy her cruise also... She tends to care TOO much... lol If I don't feel well (stomach wise), she doesn't eat either... Cause she feels bad for me.

For me, gastric bypass literally saved my life. I did not do it for weight loss (but being 160 lbs instead of 275 lbs sure is a nice perk!).

I have been diabetic most of my life and literally became allergic to my insulin. The Cleveland Clinic gave me 2 years or so to expect to live... about 2 years ago, as there was no longer a way to control my sugar levels at all.

Then, they were doing this study on Gastric Bypass as a TREATMENT for Diabetes. Because I was classified as terminally ill, I qualified to be a study case (I didn't qualify weight wise).

Here I am, 6 months later and I am in complete remission from diabetes. No pills, no insulin.. Saved my life.

And, of course, I can see my feet, AND MY WEE-WEE again! lol For the last 19 years, I have just been taking my wife's word that it was still there. :D

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Thanks everyone, I was a little worried, and also afraid my wife will not enjoy her cruise also... She tends to care TOO much... lol If I don't feel well (stomach wise), she doesn't eat either... Cause she feels bad for me.

For me, gastric bypass literally saved my life. I did not do it for weight loss (but being 160 lbs instead of 275 lbs sure is a nice perk!).

I have been diabetic most of my life and literally became allergic to my insulin. The Cleveland Clinic gave me 2 years or so to expect to live... about 2 years ago, as there was no longer a way to control my sugar levels at all.

Then, they were doing this study on Gastric Bypass as a TREATMENT for Diabetes. Because I was classified as terminally ill, I qualified to be a study case (I didn't qualify weight wise).

Here I am, 6 months later and I am in complete remission from diabetes. No pills, no insulin.. Saved my life.

And, of course, I can see my feet, AND MY WEE-WEE again! lol For the last 19 years, I have just been taking my wife's word that it was still there. :D

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

What a wonderful story and an even more wonderful outcome! You have

great reason to celebrate on this cruise. Go on your cruise worry free and just enjoy your new self and your new life.

Speak to the special wait team when the MDR opens on the first day. They can go over the menu and perhaps the size of the orders.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams)

my-cruise-countdown.aspx?dat=01%2F29%2F2015&dest=M&ship=IMMy Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to Mexico on 01/29/2015 aboard the Carnival Imagination! Visit Carnival.com to see all Mexico cruises.

• 1 month later...

So thankful for this thread! I just had surgery 3 weeks ago and I'm just learning what I can and cannot eat. (cheese-good, bacon-evil) I know that I'll be good with soups. I haven't tried fried foods and I know bread doesn't sit well. My cruise isn't until the middle of March, but that is just a little over 2 months away. It's all so scary, trying to remember everything and what to bring, ie protein powder and a shaker, etc., as well as all my vitamins, etc.

I had gastric bypass several years ago and I cruise 3 to 4 times a year.

First, I eat differently on a cruise than I do at home. The food is richer, fattier, whatever. I generally will throw up once or twice on a cruise... not from overeating but just the shock to my system. I don't worry about it or get upset. But I know its gonna happen and I am prepared for it. (Okay, TMI, but you asked.) Kind of like dumping without the pain.

Secondly, I eat a bite or two of whatever I want. That might mean I order two appetizers, or one entree. I do limit the bread as I enjoy the other good stuff more. But, if I want three of the starters... that is what I order. I do ask them to space it according to the others meal. I still leave food on the plate and I stop when I am full. I rarely eat dessert... (too full and most of it is just too sweet. )

Third, yes, I have had wait staff become concerned about the small amount of food I eat. I just say I have a tiny tummy but still like to try a little of this and that. Some have brought me dishes of mac and cheese to add to my dinner. A bite of it is good, but no way can I eat anymore. After a few evenings, they get in the groove and what I eat or don't eat is not a big deal.

Fourth, I go to the Steakhouse every cruise. My family loves it. It is $35 upcharge per person. I always order the tuna tartare and nothing more. (I cannot eat it all.) If I have to, I just give them my tiny tummy line, and add how I love to have this. It lasts me all evening. I have been charged the full rate, have had a discounted rate, and several times, my "meal" has been given to me free. I never ask but am thankful for the discount. We have also enjoyed the Chef's Table.... a bit more of a challenge with the bypass. The good thing is the meal is a bit longer (3 to 4 hours)... but I generally can enjoy one good bite of everything with lots of picking and licking my fork. I have had to learn to really pace myself. Still haven't made it to dessert yet though.

I have never been made uncomfortable with dinner partners or wait staff about my odd eating habits. I don't go beyond the casual explanation. I greatly enjoy the dining experience and savor each bite.

You'll be fine! Happy cruising.

Edited by ncbeachteacher
spelling