Have you had a cabin near the bow?

badney

Sailing on Mercury in October and just received our cabin assignments - 8012 and 8014. I have only sailed two other times and have never been this close to the bow, have always been midship. My mother and sister (who gets seasick) have never cruised before and they are unsure of the location. Anyone had these rooms (or similar) and can tell us of the motion. I understand a lot of it depends also on the water conditions - we will be sailing the Pacific from Seattle to BC and back through Inside Passage. Thanks!

Brenda,

From Seattle to BC you will be on open seas. This could be rough sailing if weather is bad.

The inside passage is protected by Vancouver Island and other small islands farther north. It is usually fairly calm. We did have some rough sailing during a storm one day though.

Bow is most likely to feel motion from rough seas.

Enjoy your cruise.

We have been in the bow on a couple of cruises. The one to Alaska was very smooth although that was from Vancouver. There was some motion with strong currents as you got further north but that was it.

On the Med cruise last year we did have some motion but it wasn't bad. Actually it was more the noise of the ship cutting through the waves that bothered me!!The one thing to note is you are close to the anchor so should they put that down early one morning you will wake with a start and wonder what is going on!!!!

Sailing on Mercury in October and just received our cabin assignments - 8012 and 8014. I have only sailed two other times and have never been this close to the bow, have always been midship. My mother and sister (who gets seasick) have never cruised before and they are unsure of the location. Anyone had these rooms (or similar) and can tell us of the motion. I understand a lot of it depends also on the water conditions - we will be sailing the Pacific from Seattle to BC and back through Inside Passage. Thanks!

On our cruise in December we were very near the bow and on an upper deck. There were some rough seas and we definitely felt the movement more than you would lower down and more mid-ships.

I am sure your sister always travels with meds for motions sickness. Perhaps you and your mother should be prepared as well. The other option, of course, is to see if you can change cabins.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Archived