On-Your-Own to Mayan Ruins?

Scott Cyn

We will be in Cozumel from 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM and would like to make a trip on our own to see some Mayan ruins. Has anybody done that? Are they easily reachanble once I get on the mainland? Easy to do? Do I need a guide? Or should I just rent a jeep and get a map?

Scott

Scott Cyn,

There is a thread going about Tulum...lots of good information-you might want to check it out. From what I've read here on the boards, Tulum can take a pretty long while (excursions usually run about 5-6 hours). I've found that most people suggest booking this through the ship-wouldn't want to run a risk of not getting back in time & missing the ship.

Scott, you can customize a trip over to visit the Tulum ruins and then maybe do a little snorkeling in Akumal or something. We customized our trip through Sherri at CozumelInsider in June and had a fanstastic time. We were in Cozumel for 11 days so we had plenty of time to spend on the mainland. But, you can book a trip for the length of time that best suits you.

Check it out: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Custommnld?From=Mainlandruins

I have gathered from the responses and from studying maps that I should not try to do Tulum on my own. But both http://www.cozumelinsider.com and http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com offer six-hour guided trips. We will be in port for nine hours, albeit starting at 1:00 PM. Why would there be a problem with plugging a six-hour tour in there?

Scott

I don't see a problem with it, myself. We did a customized tour of Tulum through Sherri at CozumelInsider. Here's how our day went:

-- First ferry over to Playa del Carmen from Cozumel took roughly 30 minutes

-- Our private driver met us just beyond the ferry pier and drove us to Tulum -- about an hour

-- We hired a private guide at Tulum and toured the ruins -- about an hour

-- Our driver took us to Tulum beach and we walked the beach -- about 30 minutes

-- From there, we went to Akumal (20 minutes?) and snorkeled at a lagoon -- maybe 90 minutes

-- Lunch -- about an hour

-- Our driver took us through Puerta Adventurous (20 minutes)

-- Back to Playa del Carmen and we caught the 6:30 or so ferry

I would think you could easily take the ferry over, have the driver take you to Tulum, tour the ruins, go back to Playa del Carmen and maybe even grab a bite to eat and still make the ferry back in time to catch your ship before it departs.

Rather than rely on my timing, though, I would e-mail Sherri or Jacqi at CozumelInsider and ask them if it's doable. BTW, the driver Sherri arranged from us was absolutely wonderful -- extremely friendly, perfect English, very knowledgable about the area, safe driver, etc. We really enjoyed his company.

Archived