12 Day Spirit Mediterranean Cruise Review (September 2014)

tmackel

Sunday, Sept 28 Heading Home

Up early grabbed some breakfast at our hotel, lots of variety with some hot and cold dishes. Our flight was leaving at 11:35am; our water taxi is arriving at our hotel at 8:15am. Back to the room to finish packing. Time for the all important suitcase weigh in. Terry’s suitcase - 46 lbs. Awesome! My suitcase -52 lbs. time to move items to Terry’s suitcase. J

Already to go, water taxi arrived on time. Terry thinks he’s James Bond riding in this water taxi (just like the ones you see in the movies). Water taxis are kind of expensive but were leaving Venice in style. J Airport check-in was nice and easy no major problems. Found our gate by 9:10 and the waiting game began. One thing to note; when you enter your gate area at the airport you are not allowed to leave. So if you planning on eating breakfast or lunch to it before you get to your gate. There is a small shopping area and a place to get water, pop, ect in your gate area.

We still had about 200€ to spend so I went shopping! Olive oil for everyone, and a leather purse for ME! Terry only wanted food.

Time to load the plane, great seats! Another long flight with no sleep, three movies later we landed in Philadelphia (3:30pm). Customs took forever to get through (1 ½ hours). We walked to our gate with 45 minutes to spare. Got on our plane to Minneapolis at 6:30 pm, got off the plane at 7:00 still in Philadelphia, landing gear problems. Got on a new plane at 8:30 and landed in Minneapolis at 10:30. I hate traveling day!

ry%3D400

Our water taxi has arrived

ry%3D400

Goodbye hotel

ry%3D400

Inside the water taxi

ry%3D400

On our way to the airport

ry%3D400

Final Thoughts:

My coffee tastes bittersweet this morning: I am both happy and sad. It has been the most amazing, enjoyable 3 weeks of my life. I have been wined and dined, pampered and pleased; I am totally relaxed.

We live our lives in a rush to get to the next thing and in the process fail to enjoy the moment in which we are living. I have made it a point to "be present" for every experience on our 18 day adventure on the high seas.

We spent 18 days traveling across 3 continents, 5 country and 16 cities with my best friend . As we set back and look at all the site and cities we have seen, it almost seems like a dream. Did we really do this? Yes we did! We are now world travelers.  The time goes by so fast so please enjoy every minute it. I know we sure did! Trip of a lifetime!

Tips:

• Get involved in Cruise Critic roll call; we booked all our tours with fellow passengers on Cruise Critic. Saved a ton of money and met some wonderful people from around the world.

• Take the time to plan your vacation (three ring binder with a file for each day).

• Plan and book your tours privately for each stop. Ship tours cost about $299 per person, 3X’s as much as our private tours (don’t worry you won’t miss the ship).

• Book tour guides before your trip, the money is worth the experience.

• Spend a few days in Barcelona before your cruise and in Venice after your cruise.

• Purchase site tickets in advance (Familia la Sagrida Church, Arrcadia Museum, Coliseum, and Vatican)

• Do your own tours in Barcelona, Toulon, Mykonos, Istanbul, and Venice (all very easy to get around).

• Purchase your Euro’s before you leave (don’t waste your time looking for cash machines and standing in lines)

• Women: bring socks and a scarf to cover head and shoulders, make sure knees are covered for Blue Mosque, Men: wear long pants/socks to Blue Mosque

• Pack light- take advantage of the ship’s laundry special -all the laundry you can fit in a bag for one price (around $29?) Plan to wear everything you pack 2 twice.

Tours and links we took:

Florence and Pisa Tour Grade: A+

http://www.romeinlimo.com/livorno/pisa-florence.htm

Rome Tour Grade: A+

http://www.romeinlimo.com/rome-civitavecchia/highlights.htm

Naples, Sorrento, Positano, Pompeii Tour Grade: B+ (no guide for Pompeii)

http://www.romeinlimo.com/naples/pompeii-sorrento-positano.htm

Athens Tour Grade: A

http://privategreecetours.com/index....gion&Itemid=96

Ephesus Tour Grade: A++ (Great tour guide!)

http://ephesusdeluxe.com/5,from-kusadasi-port-ephesus-deluxe-tour.html

Hotels we stayed at:

Barcelona: Acta Arium Palace Hotel: A+ (Good Location!)

Venice: Best Western Hotel Olimpia: A (Good location from ship)

Until our next great adventure!

Goodbye and thanks for the comments!

Edited by tmackel

Thanks for such a detailed report! If we ever get to do this cruise again your information will be a big help! I'm glad you had a wonderful time and you get to do more fantastic cruises!

Thanks karinad, glad you enjoyed it.

I wish I was going with you, your going to have a trip of a lifetime. Have fun planing.

Lori, thanks for the amazing details and your photos!!! I feel like I am rigth there.

I will definitely be booking this cruise on September 18, 2015, I will be traveling with my sister, both in our 50's.

Look forward to reading more of your adventure, and will be asking for help once I book.

Back to more reading.

Thanks again

Margie

Lori, thanks for the amazing details and your photos!!! I feel like I am rigth there.

I will definitely be booking this cruise on September 18, 2015, I will be traveling with my sister, both in our 50's.

Look forward to reading more of your adventure, and will be asking for help once I book.

Back to more reading.

Thanks again

Margie

You'll have a Great time Margie.

Thanks for letting me share.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review!! Thanks for all the tips. We are going on a 21 day cruise on the Jade in Feb. I am overwhelmed with all the planning I have yet to do. Reading your review helped me out, thank you so much and Merry Christmas to you! Oh, my husband is from Nebraska, so I laughed about you watching the huskers, haha

Great review!! Thanks for all the tips. We are going on a 21 day cruise on the Jade in Feb. I am overwhelmed with all the planning I have yet to do. Reading your review helped me out, thank you so much and Merry Christmas to you! Oh, my husband is from Nebraska, so I laughed about you watching the huskers, haha

Wow, 21 days in Europe. Awesome! Your going to have a great time. Tell your husband once a Husker always a Husker no matter where you live. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Enjoyed the review - makes me even more excited about our May cruise! Who did you use for the Gondola ride in Venice. We are staying at the BW Hotel Ala, for just one night.

CT

Not sure who we used, but the Gondola are everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Your trip report was fantastic! My husband and I are doing this same tour in September of this year. I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How did you get your tours arranged with Rome in Limo? I have checked out our roll call, and it is not very active yet. How close to your cruise were you before you booked these tours with other people?

2. I also am questioning how it works to use your cell phone internationally. Did you mainly try and use wifi?

Thanks!

Your trip report was fantastic! My husband and I are doing this same tour in September of this year. I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How did you get your tours arranged with Rome in Limo? I have checked out our roll call, and it is not very active yet. How close to your cruise were you before you booked these tours with other people?

First you can set-up your tours through this website, it very easy. We started setting up all our tours in Feb. All of the tours I booked were filled by March using our roll call. The first website is for setting up your tours and for people to join your tour group.

https://www.romeinlimotoursharing.com/

2. I also am questioning how it works to use your cell phone internationally. Did you mainly try and use wifi?

We did not use our cell phones, we bought a international phone for $20 on-line and got a US and international phone number. We used our IPad when in port for email.

Thanks!

Your going to have a GREAT time! September was perfect!

Thanks!

If you have T-Mobile most of the post paid plans include free international data and cheap voice (20 cents per min). Only specific countries are supported though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app