OT: the real poll; dress for summertime wedding

trish1c

You are all so knowledgeable, please help me with a close call.

SO's neice is getting married in July. It's an early afternoon wedding with a 5 pm reception. I bought a stylish new dress but now I'm afraid it won't be dressy enough. What do you think?

It's a white & red heavy cotton dress with 3% spandex so it hold's it's shape. It's a tight fabric weave so it looks smooth, not casual. The top is straight across the bust all the way around & fitted to the waist in solid white. There are two spaghetti straps that criss-cross in the back but they are more decorative than functional.

The skirt is full to the knee ~ a la 1940's ~ with red flowers on black stems growing up from the hem. It's a very artistic pattern (doesn't look like dead flowers). A red bow functions as a sash / belt.

If I wear my long hair all in curls, with button pearl earrings & full strand of pearls & red high heeled strappy sandals (or white sling backs; I have't decided) will that be OK for the wedding? I have a red wrap for in the church & if the AC is too cool. I'm hesitant b/c it's not silk.

I would not wear it on formal night on a cruise b/c it's not dressy enough for that. It's nicer than smart casual but I'm not sure if it even qualifies as semi-formal; I tend to think not.

I can't change in between b/c the wedding is 2+ hours away from home.

vote:

Trish

do you have a picture?

Carnival Valor for the Vampires Halloween Party: [img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;30;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
NCL Dawn, December 2003

I think it very much depends on the couple and how fancy they have chosen for their wedding to be. I have worn a pants suit to a wedding, but then I have also worn my fanciest of dresses.
I am leaning toward that the dress you have described is more "resort wear" and wouldnt be fancy enough for a wedding, but not knowing the couple, its hard to tell.

Carnival Victory, here I come!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Wear it, it sound very nice. Very few weddings I have been to have called for anything more dressy that what you described.

I will agree with the other poster that there are factors we do not know about that would possibly alter the appropriateness:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> the style/formality of the bride and groom
the city of the wedding (urban/rural)
the location of the reception (church basement, country club, outside garden)
[/list]

All are factors in deciding what to wear.

Good luck and have fun at the wedding!
Ally

Imagination....July 29, 2004

Brilliance of the Seas....June 2003

Archived