Sailing out of San Juan

rich60

Will be sailing out of San Juan this coming Feb. It has been ten years since my last cruises from Puerto Rico and as I remember it these were some of the most fun cruises ever. The reason being there was an abundance of Puerto Ricans on board and I found them to be the most fun groups ever. On one cruise we partied til 4 AM because the Puerto Rican passengers brought their own instruments with them and they played all night on the Lido deck. Salsa, Tango, Bolero and Limbo all night.

My question is - for those of you that have recently cruised out of San Juan have you experienced a large number of Puerto Ricans on recent cruises and are they still the party group they were ten tears ago.

Thank you;

Richard

We have cruised out of SJ in 2002, 2009 2011 and 2013. There generally are more locals on the ship, but not so much that you would notice if you weren't looking. I didn't notice any parties or people bringing their own instruments. I think this experience may vary depending on when you cruise. If you cruise during PR school breaks you will probably notice more locals. ( they are fun people! :) ) We cruise in January or early February so this may account for our different experience.

There wee a lot of Spanish speakers on board in September. It was a fun journey.

There were some down my hallway, and this 30 something guy was playing knock and run on his grandma or auntie or someone (much older lady) he did it just as I came down the hallway and then hid. She opened the door while I was right outside then started shouting at me in Spanish lol so I just said hi and how are you. She got real mad, and the guy was around the corner peeing his pants laughing the whole time I was stuck with this massively awkward exchange. They're a fun bunch of people. Even not speaking the same language we managed to have a few very funny and very entertaining times together.

Will be sailing out of San Juan this coming Feb. It has been ten years since my last cruises from Puerto Rico and as I remember it these were some of the most fun cruises ever. The reason being there was an abundance of Puerto Ricans on board and I found them to be the most fun groups ever. On one cruise we partied til 4 AM because the Puerto Rican passengers brought their own instruments with them and they played all night on the Lido deck. Salsa, Tango, Bolero and Limbo all night.

My question is - for those of you that have recently cruised out of San Juan have you experienced a large number of Puerto Ricans on recent cruises and are they still the party group they were ten tears ago.

Thank you;

Richard

This doesn't apply to PR's, but to any local sailings from any socio-economic port. Beware if your sailing is not selling well, where they end up offering obscene low ball rates. It attracts cheap cruisers.

We were fortune ate to have three great sailings out of SJ. We only got hit once on a cheap cruise, and that was out of NY.

We sailed out of San Juan last October (and doing it again Sept 2015). On our cruise there was one night that we saw a somewhat large group of people on the Lido deck with instruments, and they just kind of took over the Lido with their music. We assume they were Puerto Rican. It was fun to watch!

Went out of San Juan last winter. For us the answer is No.. Didn't notice any such thing.

Our last cruise in 2012 out of SJ was on RCI.....there was a significant amount of locals.....they were tons of fun and dressed up way more than mainland folks do. This year we are doing a B2B (first on RCI, then CCL)....so it will be interesting to compare the crowds!!