Just Got Back From Serenade!!! Any Questions?

Westv

We just got back from Serenade of Sea's. It was INCREDIBLE!!! We had room 9068 Balcony. Nice. We met up w/ some lovely cruise critic people at the mix and mingle!!!! The wales group were great!!! I was the "Tall" Fellow!! LOL

This was our 6th cruise on RCI, 1st on this class of ship. we have been on Voyager, Explorer, Mariner, Enchantment, Grandeur, and now the "Serenade!" We are avid crusiers, we have cruised Princess on the Caribbean Princess, Carnival's Conquest 2x. Norwegin Dream, etc. I LOVE Royal Caribbean. It is my favorite line. I have 2 "Wild Kids" who loved Kids club. Let's start out:

Embarkation: We flew from Monroe, LA. to Seattle,Wa on Sat. Aug.13, We caught the Quick Shuttle at the Airport and went and stayed at the Blue Horizon Hotel on Robson St., Very nice hotel but VERY SMALL lobby!!! Super Congested. We woke up Sunday morning and went straight to Ballentine Pier. We had Set Sail passes but we were so early it didn't really matter. Something we really liked was that while you waited they had television setup for kids and refreshments available. Very nice touch. We were on the ship around 12:00 went straight to Windjammer. Sat down and visited w/ our group of 10. the rooms were ready for 1:00 so went went in and got aquainted w/ Ninga. He was great! We gave him a 10.00 international phone card and he was delighted.

We went to Supper at Reflections and had the BEST WAIT STAFF EVER. SAM and NUNO Rodrigues. We sat at table 594. If you have a chance to get these guys INCREDIBLE!!! We also gave them 10.00 calling cards as well.

Excursions:: Skagway- We did the White pass RR. AWESOME!!!! we payed extra for the show in Liarsville, Not worth the money! Do the RR only. save the extra 50.00

Juneau: Captian Larry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New boat Odesea. 1 word gang " INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!" We saw whales, bald eagles, sealions, seals, humbacks. WOW. When another whale tour came over they stayed for a few minutes and left. Capt larry stayed around and we got the show of our lives, we got within 5 ft of humpbacks, we could look down the blowholes! I will have photo's posted! Unbelievable!!!!!! Thank everyone for reccomending him!!!! AWESOME!!!!

Ketchikan: We went fishing w/ Derrell Welker w/ Alaskan fishing adventures out of Knudson Cove Marina, We caught Silver Slamon, Pink Salmon, King Salmon... Wonderful trip. Hgihly reccomend.

The weather as a whole was fine. rained some in Juneau, and Ketchkan. but not enough to mess up our trip!!!

All in all Alaksa is AWESOME!!! well beyond my wildest dreams! Thanks for all help. If you have any questions ask away.

P.S- We stopped in liquer store in Vancouver, bought 10 12 packs of beer, 8 bottles of wine, case of mikes hard lemonade, and 2 bottles of malibu. Everything made it on board. ;) Sorry gang I spent around 500.00 on bar tabs but needed to save some as well!- David Vaughan:D :)

Thanks for the great review.

Question:

We chose the White Pass RR w/ Liarsville more for the chance to see the senary(?) one way and the coach back to see another. I heard if you only take the train you see the same thing twice.

What do you think?

Westv,

Wow! Sounds like you had a great trip. We leave on the Serenade this Sun. How did you get all that beer on the ship? Did you have it packed in a suitcase?

Also, was your fishing trip in Ketchikan booked thru the ship or did you book it independantly?

Westv,

Thanks for taking time to post your review. We're going on the Serenade this coming Sunday and, boy did your post getting me out of work mode and into cruise mode !!

One question - I would LOVE to see the Northern Lights. Were they ever visible on your cruise? Someone told me I can notify the purser that I want to be called in my room any time the Lights are visible.

The weather forecast shows 60% chance of rain most of my cruise days, but I'm thinking, how bad can it be to be sitting on a balcony, cruising or docked, in chilly Alaska, as opposed to sitting at this desk in hot humid Houston !!

How did you pack the liquor/beer to get it on the ship? I'd love to get on with a couple bottles of wine.

Hey David. Wasn't Capt Larry great? I think you went on with some of our Welsh gang.We went on the 9.30 with him. I hadn't realized your stateroom was just down from ours- we were in 9078. Great room if anyone is looking to book as it has an enormous balcony. It is the first after the elevators going forward and NO Noise at all fron m the Centrum. And Nenga or whatever you spell it was a great steward. He gave us a bottle of champagne- because we were such nice ladies from the first day!!!

Laura

Hey David. Wasn't Capt Larry great? I think you went on with some of our Welsh gang.We went on the 9.30 with him. I hadn't realized your stateroom was just down from ours- we were in 9078. Great room if anyone is looking to book as it has an enormous balcony. It is the first after the elevators going forward and NO Noise at all fron m the Centrum. And Nenga or whatever you spell it was a great steward. He gave us a bottle of champagne- because we were such nice ladies from the first day!!!

Laura

Hey There!!!!:D Wow, I am missing the ship already!!! It was very happy to meet your group. Looked like you had an Awesome time, as did we. We had the BEST time w/ Larry! Couldn't have been better! I took around 1000 photos if you would like some I will be happy to email 'em over to ya!!! It was great all the way around, Thanks for the Mix and Mingle! We just signed up for a Western Caribbean on Carnival conquest for 11/27/05, Come on down to New Orleans and party w/ us!!! LOL. It was a pleasure to have met you!- David

Hey i wanted to know if the solarium area is heated i am going this sunday out of vancouver but if the top is open i am afraid it could be very cold.. to cold to go into the pool! Please let me know... also thanks for the alcohol advise!!!!!!!

Solarium is Heated, I never saw the top open, the water is Very Cold though! Good Luck have a wonderful trip!- David

:)

Westv,

Thanks for taking time to post your review. We're going on the Serenade this coming Sunday and, boy did your post getting me out of work mode and into cruise mode !!

One question - I would LOVE to see the Northern Lights. Were they ever visible on your cruise? Someone told me I can notify the purser that I want to be called in my room any time the Lights are visible.

The weather forecast shows 60% chance of rain most of my cruise days, but I'm thinking, how bad can it be to be sitting on a balcony, cruising or docked, in chilly Alaska, as opposed to sitting at this desk in hot humid Houston !!

How did you pack the liquor/beer to get it on the ship? I'd love to get on with a couple bottles of wine.

No northern lights!!!! We wanted to as well but not the right time, and WAY too much light! I live in Monroe, Louisiana right near you! Weather is AWESOME, not very rainy, have a wonderful time and as far as the wine and beer. All I did was this. I went to sams club and bought a 26.00 rolling cooler (the kind that folds up) It was a 62 can cooler. I bought the beer and just packed it in the luggage! Checked Baggage!!!! I put the wine wrapped in a towel just to protect it, I sent it through checked luggage! EVERYTHING SHOWED UP!!! We had 10 of us in our group and we all brought alcohol, No problems at all. Nenga our room steward had them Iced down daily! -David

Thanks for the great review.

Question:

We chose the White Pass RR w/ Liarsville more for the chance to see the senary(?) one way and the coach back to see another. I heard if you only take the train you see the same thing twice.

What do you think?

TAKE THE TRAIN!!!!! the 2 sides are very different! I was very dissapointed in Liarsville! If you do take the train, make sure you sit on the left side. Much better scenery. So when you board the train in Skagway sit on left side facing foreward! Did I mention "Skip Liarsville" ;)

Wes: Thanks for the awesome info; this is exactly what I've been looking for, but nobody else had posted for the past 2 weeks! One question, though......what time did you arrive at the Pier?

For Realdealchris and newcruiser1514.......why not join our roll call thread for the 8/28 cruise over here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4528454#post4528454

TAKE THE TRAIN!!!!! the 2 sides are very different! I was very dissapointed in Liarsville! If you do take the train, make sure you sit on the left side. Much better scenery. So when you board the train in Skagway sit on left side facing foreward! Did I mention "Skip Liarsville" ;)

If you take the round trip train ride then it doesn't matter which side you sit on you will see the scenery either coming or going. If you sit on the left going up you see everything then if you sit on the right coming down you see everything then...it is like 6 of one or half a dozen of the other.

Hey There!!!!:D Wow, I am missing the ship already!!! It was very happy to meet your group. Looked like you had an Awesome time, as did we. We had the BEST time w/ Larry! Couldn't have been better! I took around 1000 photos if you would like some I will be happy to email 'em over to ya!!! It was great all the way around, Thanks for the Mix and Mingle! We just signed up for a Western Caribbean on Carnival conquest for 11/27/05, Come on down to New Orleans and party w/ us!!! LOL. It was a pleasure to have met you!- David

It was nice to meet you too. Some of the American members of the family were very impressed with your football career. I think my brother took so many photos that he has enough for 3 CDs so is putting them all on DVD for us all. We had some awesome pictures of whales too- tails, and close photos. I have one that has three so close by in one shot. Thanks for the offer for the Conquest. I am a teacher and cannot get time off school then.And I need the money for our back 2back next Summer on Adventure.;)

Laura

Hi I have a question, when you say you took 1,000 pics, was that of the whole trip? My hubby is deciding on his camera stuff and it would help to know if you took 1,000 in how many days.

thanks

Mrs.Moose

I took over 1,000 photo's on the trip, well, really of the 3 port days and the Misty Fjords. I took my PC and (3) 1 gig cards. You need to have plenty of media, b/c until you see it, you won't believe it!! It is the most incredible trip I have ever been on!

It was nice to meet you too. Some of the American members of the family were very impressed with your football career. I think my brother took so many photos that he has enough for 3 CDs so is putting them all on DVD for us all. We had some awesome pictures of whales too- tails, and close photos. I have one that has three so close by in one shot. Thanks for the offer for the Conquest. I am a teacher and cannot get time off school then.And I need the money for our back 2back next Summer on Adventure.;)

Laura

Tell them thanks!!! I was very impressed by all of your group including yourself!!! The funny thing is that now that I lost over 200# people think I was a basketball player!! LOL, I had 4 or 5 people walk up to me and say " I thought I was the tallest on the ship!!!" LOL. 6'10 and thin now!!!! I sure look funny!- David

Wes: Thanks for the awesome info; this is exactly what I've been looking for, but nobody else had posted for the past 2 weeks! One question, though......what time did you arrive at the Pier?

For Realdealchris and newcruiser1514.......why not join our roll call thread for the 8/28 cruise over here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4528454#post4528454

We arrived at the pier around 11:30 and boarded the ship around 12:30. We were in our rooms at 1:00.

Thank you Westv, my hubby is into phography big time and he is bringing a Flashtrax to d/l, but this was a help, he has 2 memory cards and was deciding if he should bring a 3rd, and you just answered that question. He is also bringing a backup (same camera but with film) for just in case. He uses a Minolta D7

thank you so much for your help (for the hubby). How did your pics turn out? hope you got some good shots.

Mrs.Moose

Thank you Westv, my hubby is into phography big time and he is bringing a Flashtrax to d/l, but this was a help, he has 2 memory cards and was deciding if he should bring a 3rd, and you just answered that question. He is also bringing a backup (same camera but with film) for just in case. He uses a Minolta D7

thank you so much for your help (for the hubby). How did your pics turn out? hope you got some good shots.

Mrs.Moose

Here are a few I just DL'd! Enjoy!

http://community.webshots.com/user/westv32

Archived