Texting from San Juan

KPfromCT

Happy Black Friday!!!!:D:D

We are looking at the Liberty from San Juan, in June.

Would like to do 1 day pre-cruise, and 2 nights post cruise.

DD will be 16 and has "issues" being without service:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can we use our cell phones in San Juan just like we do in the States?

Thanks!!!:D

I have Verizon.:eek::confused:

I was recently in San Juan and my phone only worked with wifi, no texting or calls went through. I have Verizon and an iPhone. My friends I was with who also had Verizon and iPhones were able to use their phones in San Juan. Not sure about the differences in their plans compared to mine. Good luck!

I was recently in San Juan and my phone only worked with wifi, no texting or calls went through. I have Verizon and an iPhone. My friends I was with who also had Verizon and iPhones were able to use their phones in San Juan. Not sure about the differences in their plans compared to mine. Good luck!

Thank you, Hazelroo!!!! DD has the Iphone 6 and I have Iphone 5S. Guess we'll just have to wait and see, or check in with Verizon.

Thanks, again!!!:D:D

Yes Verizon. AT&T, and T-Mobile all work there just as in the US I have also understood they work in any other territories. In St Thomas I did not try but I do know people that say they have used their normal plan minutes and texting and had no additional charges. It is always a good idea to call your carrier and double check with them.

Yes Verizon. AT&T, and T-Mobile all work there just as in the US I have also understood they work in any other territories. In St Thomas I did not try but I do know people that say they have used their normal plan minutes and texting and had no additional charges. It is always a good idea to call your carrier and double check with them.

Thank you!!! That is exactly what I am going to do!!! :)

Your best bet is to call Verizon. We have AT&T and everything works fine. We also have a pay as you go phone with Verizon and the number of minutes to make a call increased dramatically. Our friends were able to use their Verizon phone in San Juan and St Thomas as usual. It depends on your plan so call and make sure that you're OK.

I would call Verizon and double check because it may vary by plan.

In my personal experience I was able to use my phone "as if I were home" in Puerto Rico and St Thomas. I have Verizon service and at the time I had an iPhone (Just switched to a Galaxy a couple of weeks ago). I was happy to be able to call home and check in with my kids especially since I was missing one of my daughters formal school dances and concert while I was away and could hear all about it.

I looked online at Verizon and I also called in advance of the travel. Customer Service rep was very helpful, confirmed what I saw online and also sent me a confirmation email which I saved just in case I got any erroneous charges upon return. Additionally, when I arrived in San Juan and in Charlotte Amelie and turned on my phone I immediately received text messages notifying me of the usage availability. FYI....I also received these text messages for free in each port I turned my phone on notifying me of cost per minute/incoming text/outgoing text/data and instructions how to dial the USA.

I was able to use my verizon droid in San Juan to call and text.

Kathy-Central Indiana

Mom to four (2girls-17&13), (2boys-14&11)

Carnival Liberty (Southern) 4/2015)

Carnival Conquest (11/13) Repositioning

Carnival Liberty (4/13) Eastern

Carnival Destiny (6/04) Southern

Your best bet is to call Verizon.

There's no reason to call Verizon and it definitely doesn't vary by plan. If you have any doubts, simply use their interactive trip planner on their website. You just put in where you're going, what you want to do (call, text, data), and the phone or other device that you are going to be using. It will then inform you what the costs are (if any) in any of the places/countries that you will be visiting.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

The bottom line is that you can use your phone in San Juan just as you can in any of the 50 U.S. states. (BTW, I was in San Juan just last week on the Glory and made calls and used the Internet (not WiFi) without cost.

In my personal experience I was able to use my phone "as if I were home" in Puerto Rico and St Thomas. I have Verizon service and at the time I had an iPhone (Just switched to a Galaxy a couple of weeks ago). I was happy to be able to call home and check in with my kids especially since I was missing one of my daughters formal school dances and concert while I was away and could hear all about it.

I looked online at Verizon and I also called in advance of the travel. Customer Service rep was very helpful, confirmed what I saw online and also sent me a confirmation email which I saved just in case I got any erroneous charges upon return. Additionally, when I arrived in San Juan and in Charlotte Amelie and turned on my phone I immediately received text messages notifying me of the usage availability. FYI....I also received these text messages for free in each port I turned my phone on notifying me of cost per minute/incoming text/outgoing text/data and instructions how to dial the USA.

To be clear, text and voice are part of the Verizon domestic plan. In U.S.V.I, text is okay, but not voice. Also, both areas will charge extra for sending images or photos (SMTP).

To be clear, text and voice are part of the Verizon domestic plan. In U.S.V.I, text is okay, but not voice. Also, both areas will charge extra for sending images or photos (SMTP).

Well.....I do not know what the differences may be...but...on my last couple of cruises when I was in San Juan and St Thomas I made calls, sent text messages and both sent and received pics as well as listened to voice mail messages and had no additional charges to my account. The last time I did that was Feb 2014 on a cruise that had ports of call in both of these locations.

Perhaps things have changed or I was just lucky!

I did ask my parents who recently traveled to St Thomas in October and they did not have the same freedom as I did in February

This is why I say call customer service, have them send you the confirmation email of what they tell you and save it for future reference!

This is why I say call customer service, have them send you the confirmation email of what they tell you and save it for future reference!

And as I've said before, there is absolutely zero reason to call customer service because the information is available on the Verizon Wireless website through the interactive trip planner that I posted about above. In fact, if you do call customer service, the rep is just going to pull up the trip planner, ask you the exact same questions that are on the trip planner (where are you going? what do you want to do? what device(s) will you be using?) and then email the result to you.

And how do I know this? Because once upon a time I called customer service and that's exactly what they did. The rep then showed me how to find the trip planner on line so that I (and now you) could do it myself instead of wasting time on the phone. Once again, here is the link:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

You forgot Sprint, and with their recent 4g upgrade they now have THE BEST service in the U.S. Territories, including St Thomas and St croix. :cool: