Bathroom Amenities

I've been reading in several reviews now they don't have shampoo in the cabins. Can that be? It seems pretty strange to me. I thought they had the dispensers in the shower. Has anyone been on the Navigator lately that can tell me about that ship's shampoo status?

I know, i've seen that. but in their reviews people are writing that it isn't there. it seems the Voyager may be the one that I've read it about. I guess I will just assume it is there. i can always buy it if i need to.

We were on AOS in June. There was a small bar of soap, and a mostly empty thing of shampoo. When we asked our Steward, he made a big huff and went up to the suites to get the individual shampoos...... I didn't realize the cost of shampoo would throw the cruise line over the edge.

Celebrity gives you q tips, cotton balls plus the shampoos and the like.

We were on the NOS last month and the shampoo is in a wall dispenser. It smells really bad. We brought our own shampoo and conditioner as I never trust that hair products are going to be to my liking anywhere. You might want to bring a small bottle from home... you don't want to be stuck with substandard cleaners. The pool and ocean water are going to be hard enough on your hair.

We use the shampoo dispenser for hand soap or for hand laundry (if I have to!), I would not use it on my hair, I don't use bar soap at all. We take our own toiletries, you never know what's in those provided products (plus, I can't stand the cheap odor). DH is even pickier about it than I am.

If you use a regular product at home, get some small empty plastic bottles from the drugstore and refill them every time you travel. Your best bet is to take some from home, that way you know you have what you need and like.

On our first 7 day cruise we forgot to bring our little bottles of shampoo and conditioner so had to use the stuff in the shower. By day 4 my hair looked like I stuck my finger in the wall socket!

I save all those little foil packets of sample shampoos and stuff and bring enough of those. Then you just throw away the empty thing every day and don't worry about leaking into your toiletries bag.

DH & I like to carry our own shampoo and hair products aboard ships. Through the years of traveling I've searched travel sections of discount stores and have a collection of small plastic bottles we use to fill with our favorite hair care and bath care products. Being mini-sized, they don't take up much room in our luggage. We refill the small bottles when we return from a trip and have them ready to go again.

Even have a small bottle of aloe gel for sunburn, travel size spray bottles of my favorite after-shower spray form B & BW (and travel-size bottles of matching shower gel and body cream to match) as well as a small travel jar of menthol-camphor cream ready to go for any travel.

Dianne

Never been on a cruise before, but for our cruise, I am just going to pack our own toiletries. They really don't take up much more space. Usually pack then for any

trip I have gone on and hotels always have the small bottles available. Personally

I want my own.

I guess the consensus is to bring my own. That sounds like something I will plan on doing. No sense sweating the small stuff. I am not fussy about my shampoo and my husband is less so, but I certainly don't want to look like I've been electrocuted!

Someone mentioned washing clothes with the shampoo. I brought a small bottle of woolite on my last cruise and it was great to have. Nice to wash out the swimsuits.

Thanks for all of your responses. I believe it is 87 days now. We are sailing for Thanksgiving. Can't wait!

dianne

what's the menthol-camphor cream for? i try to have everything i might need, but

didn't know that existed!

thanks, mimi

Menthol-camphor is commonly used to alleviate stuffy noses, calm sinus headaches and alleviate chest conjestions. You may recognize it by one popular over-the-counter name: Mentholatum, although there are several similar items on the market containing menthol and camphor as ingredients.

A touch of Mentholatum rubbed on the end of your nostrils can help open up sinus conjestion (thus alleviate sinus headaches temporarily). A small bit rubbed on the chest or back in lung area can help break up chest conjestion.

My sinuses give me fits the first few days of a cruise after traveling to cruise port by plane and then moving in and out of air-conditioning. The salve helps me.

On a cruise to Panama last Feb. I experienced the remains of a head cold that plugged up my ears when we were landing at Tampa airport. I could hardly hear out of either ear during our first two days on the ship and by the fourth day of the cruise I was in misery. I had forgotten to pack my menthol salve. DH found a pharmacy in Panama that sold Mentholatum - which literally saved the rest of the cruise for both of us.

Dianne

Just remember that while RCI says they provide soap, shampoo and conditioner that the shampoo and conditioner is a 2-in-1. It is in a dispenser in the shower. There is another dispenser in the shower with body wash.

Bar soap was also provided for at the sink.

I'm just as happy to bring my own shampoo/conditioner but I did use the body wash.

Cheers,

Bring your own shampoo. I am very particular with My Shampoo as I want My hair to look its best. Some Shampoos I have found on the Ship make it to soft and flyaway. Since You are unsure, bring your own small bottle to use thru the week. If you buy it on the Ship, it will be overpriced and you may not get your brand. So to be on the safe side, pack your own.

One cruise (not RCCL) we had those same dispensers on the shower wall filled with shampoo and another with shower gel....one was blue, the other green. Half way through the cruise the steward "switched" the colors.:eek: I'm not sure if we shampooed with shower gel, or washed with shampoo!

Archived