Dining Partners

Sun-n-Fun

We alternate between large tables & tables for 2. On a 3-night cruise, I sometimes would rather just sit with DH so we can catch up on our life together - some days we barely have time to recognize each other! But on a longer cruise, we like to meet other people and get to know them a bit. Whenever we have at least 6 at the table, we do well, but for some reason we often are assigned a table for 4, and after one awful experience (nothing in common, other people had no interest in us, we lost interest in trying to get to know them, sat in frozen silence), we check out our table ahead of time. If it's only for 4, we request a change to a larger table (or a 2-top, which we've sometimes been successful getting).

Hola Amigos,

On our first cruise we sat in a both for 4 and the other couple never ate in the dining room. Now, I am a social person. I like to talk and eat and talk and eat and talk and eat somemore. I couldn't do that on that trip. It was like being at home with the mrs. except in this case she knew what I had done that day because she oversaw the whole thing. All trips since #1, we have had a large table and enjoyed the company of several nice and likable people. It has been said that I can BS with the best. It is like the cannibal said, "I never met a man that I didn't like.":D

I say the larger the group the better your chances are....we have been on many cruises...dinner is a great place to meet people...we have had only had one bad experience ...a table for 4...a mother and an much adult son....hubby and i didnt think it went that bad...needless to say...they didnt show the next nite...didnt bother us....but was a lil diffent....another cruise ..table for 10...first nite we are quiet...tired...more of listeners ...but the next nite...we had to rush to dinner...just off one of those booze cruises in a port...pirate ship as i recall...well needless to say...hubby and i did alot of talking...next nite...we were the topic...people said how funny we were...they even went on a few excursions with us...but hey they showed up every nite..so we must not of been too horrible...we still keep in contact with those people...one couple even visits our home and we visit theirs each summer....so just make dinner the best u can...best advice ...RELAX

We have been SO lucky with our tablemates over the years. In fact we still keep in touch with a lot of them and hear about their families. A lot of them were honeymoon couples and now they have families of their own and they still remember the good fun they had on their honeymoon.

We always have a large table and love to hear about everyone else and their way of life. On our last cruise it was Spring Break and we met the nicest bunch of young lads and their parents. They all laughed at my husband's jokes (I've heard them too often to laugh at them...again!).

We're all there for the same reason...to forget about the problems we all may have at home..and we all have them...and to enjoy our vacation that we've looked forward to for so long. Go out there and have fun!

Archived