Candle Alternatives?

Leo Jay

Given that candles are a safety hazard, can anyone suggest a good, tasteful electrical alternative for romantic lighting, should one opt for room service one evening? ;)

And no debates about smuggling please -- all it takes for disaster to break out is being distracted for "just a second" -- at precisely the moment the ship suddenly encounters rough waters.

:(

Are they the plastic tubes that you bend to break something inside so the light activates? What's in those things? Would those be considered safe/permissible to take on board? Where do you get them?

Bending them releases one chemical into another creating a chemical reaction. They are not on Carnival's list of prohibted items. Pack them between a couple of layers of clothes the keep them flat during transport. You may even be able to bring some candle holders that they will stand up in.

QVC sells battery operated candles. They look like the real thing and give off a scent. They come in packs of three. I have them in my living room and everyone is amazed to find out they aren't really lit. QVC.com

Ouuuu..

Gotta go buy a case of those too...

Is that somehow relevant to anything posted thus far?
What Cotton is referring to is simply that the limited cabin service menu does not lend itself to anyone's concept of a romantic meal.

QVC sells battery operated candles. They look like the real thing and give off a scent. They come in packs of three. I have them in my living room and everyone is amazed to find out they aren't really lit. QVC.com

FOR SURE! I have these and love them!

http://www.qvc.com

Item numbers:

V22898

H95168

H97072

H95169

H94589

V20799

H97277

H97276

L5813

Are they the plastic tubes that you bend to break something inside so the light activates? What's in those things? Would those be considered safe/permissible to take on board? Where do you get them?

Yes...Google Cyalume

Cyalume.jpg

Yes...Google Cyalume

Cyalume.jpg

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure I like the look of those... maybe I'll have to spring for the Brookstones.

Thanks to everyone for the information thus far. If anyone has other suggestions, let me know.

Those really do look cool. And thanks Hootsie, for providing all the related product numbers, but I think the basic set of 3 looks the best. Too bad I don't have time to order them. I wonder if I could find them in one of those "As Seen On TV" retail outlets... Otherwise, I might just have to spring for the Brookstones, because the glow sticks aren't quite the look I was looking for.

Archived