Our day with Nativeway

Stormy

My husband and I went on the Nativeway Rays, Reef and Rum Point Excursion on Wed. July 20. It was a great excursion made even more so by the people of Nativeway Sports:

We disembarked from the tender and very easily found the Nativeway representative, Eldon. We introduced ourselves and he directed us to wait in the shade of a pavilion by the dock. The dock was very busy, especially since there were some extra ships in port, due to having their itinerary changed as a result of Hurricane Emily that week. After a short time our group had formed and we walked about a block to the busses. We rode to the marina and split into groups; I guess the other group was just for Stingray City. We had about 15 people on our boat.

We boarded our boat and took our seats up top. The ride to the sandbar was very pleasant. Our guide, Sheldon, pointed out the change in the water color at the point of the Cayman Wall, where the depth drops to several thousand feet. When we arrived at Stingray sandbar we saw many boats, including double-deckers that held well at least 100 people. Sheldon and his partner (a great guy from Jamaica; unfortunately we couldn’t understand his name and were embarrassed to keep asking!) instructed us on how to interact with the stingrays. We then jumped into the water and paddled over to the shallow water.

I thought that I was going to be afraid of them, but the stingrays are so fascinating and fun that I had no fear at all. Everyone got several chances to hold a stingray. The first time I tried, my girl didn’t want to be held and kept swimming away. Sheldon swam off and brought another one to us. While I was holding her another one was bumping into my legs and swimming around us. We all got a chance to kiss them and feed them. A few people were nervous but most had a great time.

After 30 - 45 minutes (I could have stayed for hours), we climbed back on the boat and motored a few yards to the barrier reef for snorkeling. Sheldon and his partner lured a moray eel from his hole. The eel was at the same time fascinating and repulsive - very scary looking. I snorkeled around for a while and got back on the boat. As we headed out we got to choose our lunch order.

We then headed to Rum Point. What a great place! It feels very secluded; I think there were less than 50 people there that day. The lunch was excellent; they had everything from burgers and chicken tenders to seafood sandwiches. There are plenty of shaded places to relax and clean bathrooms. After lunch we took a dip in the ocean; it is very shallow with little wave action. Then it was time for the ride back to the marina. We got back to town with enough time for some shopping and a long wait for the tender.

I can not say enough about the wonderful day we had. Sheldon and his partner were excellent. They were very attentive while at the Stingray sandbar, making sure everyone got many chances to play with the rays. They hosed us off with fresh water after snorkeling and were very gracious and pleasant the entire time. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you so much for this review. We will be doing the same thing on September 6 and soooo excited. I'm happy to hear you had some time for shopping before getting back on your ship. What time did you ship depart? All I really need to do is get my hurricane glass from the Hard Rock Cafe as far as shopping goes.

We arrived back in town at about 2; it was supposed to be 1:45, but traffic was extra-heavy with the extra ships in port. We were on Caribbean Princess and the last tender was supposed to be 3:30. Everything was running a little late that day, but I think we were back on board ship by 4.

Thanks for the great review!! I am pretty sure we're going to go w/ Nativeway. I am only worried about the time issue...According to our itinerary, we are supposed to be in Grand Cayman from 8am - 5pm...it is also supposed to be very busy this day w/ a lot of ships in port...the whole island time v. ship time thing has me nervous too...Do you think we could do the RRR tour? Also, from what I've read, should I just send them an email about my concerns and see what they say? These poor ppl, they must get asked the same question (will I miss my ship?!) 50 times a day!!! ;) Thanks!! :)

I just got a reply from them yesterday, and I asked them about the time issue. I commented that since they are the tour guides and have been doing this for a long time, I assume they watch the time and make sure we are back in time. Her response was that they take care of it. After Oct, there isn't day light savings time and ship time and island time are the same.

I just got a reply from them yesterday, and I asked them about the time issue. I commented that since they are the tour guides and have been doing this for a long time, I assume they watch the time and make sure we are back in time. Her response was that they take care of it. After Oct, there isn't day light savings time and ship time and island time are the same.

Thanks! I feel better just knowing there won't be any difference in island time v. ship time!! Thanks! :)

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum tour last week. Do not worry about getting back to the ship on time! I was worried about the same thing and voiced my concerns too. We did get back close to the time we had to catch our last tender, but DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. Sharon has got everything under control and they will not let you miss your boat. No matter what happens (and we had a number of mishaps), they will be sure to get you back on the ship. Just go and enjoy. They are really great and you will love it!

Thanks so much for the very nice review; I am also booked with them for December. I would like to know if there are any shops at rum point where I might be able to buy some famous rum cakes?? and other goodies ???:)

Islander1763

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum tour last week. Do not worry about getting back to the ship on time! I was worried about the same thing and voiced my concerns too. We did get back close to the time we had to catch our last tender, but DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. Sharon has got everything under control and they will not let you miss your boat. No matter what happens (and we had a number of mishaps), they will be sure to get you back on the ship. Just go and enjoy. They are really great and you will love it!

Thanks!! I'm sure I wont be able to help worrying at least a little, it's in my nature!! ;) But thanks for the reassurance!!

I'm the same way too, and I did worry, but was assured after the fact that it was never a problem and never would have been. Really, they know what they are doing and have ways of getting around any mishap. They would lose a lot of business if they ever let anyone miss their boat, so they will absolutely not let it happen. Don't worry!

Just back from Carnival Miracle last week and took this tour. My group of 10 people (age ranging from 72 to 3 years old) and everyone had a WONDERFUL time with Nativeway. Other tour groups were jammed pack with people on their boats but these guys only allow 20-25 people on each of their boats. You will have plenty of room to stretch out, relax and enjoy the tour. They will take care of you! VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Mishaps indeed!! broken down overloaded boat(not nativeway), pulled over by police. At the time it was a little too much for me, but now we are all laughing about it. I wonder if those poor people ever made it to their ship.

Mishaps indeed!! broken down overloaded boat(not nativeway), pulled over by police. At the time it was a little too much for me, but now we are all laughing about it. I wonder if those poor people ever made it to their ship.

Who was pulled over by the police?

Our Nativeway bus was, but just because they were trying to get us back as soon as possible because so many people were stressing. He really could have taken his time, and we would have been fine, but he was trying to appease the people who were stressing, and so we were stopped by the police for a very short time. We made it back in time, and everything was fine, and would have been if we were held up a little longer.

Our Nativeway bus was, but just because they were trying to get us back as soon as possible because so many people were stressing. He really could have taken his time, and we would have been fine, but he was trying to appease the people who were stressing, and so we were stopped by the police for a very short time. We made it back in time, and everything was fine, and would have been if we were held up a little longer.

Oh, geez!! Well, at least, like you said, you can laugh about it now!! :) We're supposed to be in GC until 5pm, so I'm assuming our last tender will be at 4:30 and I believe the RRR tour should get back around 2pm, from what everyone has been saying, so I'm HOPING we should be good to go and not cut it close! Thanks!!

We are trying to do rays, reef, and rum through nativeway on Jan. 10, 2006. We will be on the Grandeur and there are 8 of us. Because the Grandeur comes in a little later than the planned departure time, they will only do a special excursion is there are 16 or more people. We are on a list and if anyone else is interested, give Sharon with Nativeway a call or e-mail. She said we would probably have no problem getting enough people, but just thought someone on this board would want to go!

Kathy T.

Other tour groups were jammed pack with people on their boats but these guys only allow 20-25 people on each of their boats.

Well, not always. Ours had 40 which was too many and definitely affected the operation. However, it was still fewer than the ship's excursions and Nativeway did a great job under the circumstances.

Did anyone mention the two nurse sharks? The moray eels are very freaky - - just don't get too close. The reef was great. The stingrays are very friendly - - they won't sting as long as you aren't attacking them. Rum point is a very quiet and picturesque beach. Don't look for water toys there as it is a place to relax under shady palm trees in a hammock.

The Native Ways Reef Rays and Rumpoint took most of the available time for the Miracle stop. But it was my favorite excursion. I highly recommend it.

Enjoy.

I am terrified of rays and eels. How do not get stung by the rays tails? What about the eels? I would be FREAKING OUT. Once the eels bite they dont let go and you have to cut their heads off.

Pleasde don't worry about this. Our daughter (14 then) was exactly the same way and the whole way out there she was asking if she could just stay in the boat and watch.

I spoke to the Nativeway guy on the boat and he laughed and said they'd take care of it, no problem...and she'd be wearing a ray like a hat before the day was done.

They were VERY patient with her when she got in the water, even brought over a little baby ray. Forst she touched it, then rubbed it, then they had it give her a kiss. When it wasx all done, she WAS letting one on her back!

They don't sting at all, the little stingy things are very small and the guys always keep them away from you.

In the end, my daughter (and us) agree that it was the highlight of the entire cruise. We bought the DVD and still watch it. We're going back again this year!

We are trying to do rays, reef, and rum through nativeway on Jan. 10, 2006........ they will only do a special excursion is there are 16 or more people. Kathy T.

Kathy - what do you call a special excursion? If you get 16 people can you design your own tour with them? We are just trying to get something that would allow us more time at Rum Point after the sting rays. Do you know how much time you will have there - are you just there for lunch? Thanks.

Archived