Aloha~! A Photo Trip Report of the POA - 10/11/14

Miicah

Day 6 – 10/09/14 – Oahu Island Tour

In order to get in as much of Oahu as we could, I wanted to book an island tour, and after searching Trip Advisor I managed to narrow it down to two before finally choosing Ron and Oahu Spot Tours—and I couldn’t be any more pleased that we did! He’s as mellow, outgoing and friendly as you’d expect a Hawaiian to be, and if you have specific things or places that you want to see, he will tailor your tour around that.

The only place I really wanted to see was Kaena Point, as the travel book that I got mentioned that it had the most beautiful sunsets, which we would be in time for if we did the typical counter-clockwise tour of the island. Unfortunately, I had to choose the one place on Oahu that all the tour guides (that I talked to, anyway) would just not go to, haha. Evidently, the west side of Oahu is sort of their high-crime area because it’s mostly locals living there—sorta like their Jane and Finch, for any fellow Torontonians. Cars are often broken into there, and we would’ve needed a four wheel drive vehicle for the terrain, which most tour companies don’t use, so we were out of luck there. Not sure if I’ll ever make it out there if I do end up going to Oahu again, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there, haha.

With that off the table, I was happy just seeing whatever I could of Oahu in a day, and we started our tour with breakfast from Leonard’s Bakery. Apparently their Malasadas are highly acclaimed, and we certainly did enjoy them. Wish we brought more tissues, though, since they’re really powdery!

DSC00557.jpg~original

DSC00559.jpg~original

DSC00565.jpg~original

Wanting to get his son, who was camping at a site on the way of our tour, some breakfast, and inspired by our freshly baked goods, we stopped at a plaza near his house (with our permission, of course). It was there that I saw the store of Dog the Bounty Hunter! My dad used to watch his show from time to time and I never thought it was real until I saw it! Noticing our interest in it, Ron offered to drive us by Dog’s house which was in a neighbourhood nearby, and we were like sure, why not, haha.

DSC00560.jpg~original

The pier at the plaza. I think Ron was mentioning how there was a Costco out on the water here, but I’m not sure if that’s it in the distance, haha.

DSC00562.jpg~original

Edited by Miicah

Ron was telling us how Dog and his family aren’t very well liked with the other locals because they’re quite abrasive and whatnot. I felt like a paparazzi taking pictures like this, haha.

DSC00567.jpg~original

Apparently his gate broke somehow! It looked like someone ran it in or something.

DSC00569.jpg~original

Ron made a comment about how they don’t pick up their paper haha

DSC00570.jpg~original

There are handcuffs hanging on the rear-view mirror!

DSC00571.jpg~original

After that, we continued on our way. Not sure which mountain this was, but you could climb it much like Diamond Head (I actually think we saw this from Diamond Head). Considering how much steeper it looks, I don’t think I’ll be climbing it any time soon, haha.

DSC00573.jpg~original

Edited by Miicah

Our first official stop was Hanauma Bay, known mostly for its snorkeling. Never did and up going here to do that, but definitely on my list if there’s a next time.

DSC00579.jpg~original

DSC00578.jpg~original

DSC00580.jpg~original

DSC00581.jpg~original

Apparently it’s closed every Tuesday to let nature sort of balance itself out, and whenever the President and his family visit the Preserve is also closed to the public at that time so they have the whole place to themselves.

DSC00582.jpg~original

DSC00584.jpg~original

DSC00585.jpg~original

DSC00587.jpg~original

DSC00594.jpg~original

The round white berries that follow the flowers of the Naupaka Kahakai.

DSC00597.jpg~original

The flower of the Naupaka Kahakai. Ron told us the story about why it looked like only half a flower: There was a Hawaiian Princess known as Naupaka who fell in love with a commoner, which was strictly forbidden. They travelled to a temple, but when even the gods couldn’t help them, Naupaka tore the flower from her hair in half and gave one to her lover before they separated, one living by the water while the other lived in the mountains. Noticing how sad they were, the naupaka plants began to bloom in only half flowers. It’s said that you should take two of the flowers and put them together to reunite the lovers.

DSC00598.jpg~original

DSC00615.jpg~original

This is the spot where one of Ron’s sons was camping. I’m not much of a camper (and apparently, neither is his son, haha—the poor boy thought his dad was coming to pick him up and he was so happy) but with a view like that I’m sure it’d be worth it!

DSC00617.jpg~original

DSC00620.jpg~original

Not sure where this little guy came from, but he was on our windshield for a bit until he flew (or jumped) off, haha.

DSC00626.jpg~original

It was nice to see that ribbon on one of the trees.

DSC00633.jpg~original

Stories say that these notches in the mountains were cut to serve as gunports for cannons during the battle against Kamehameha as he came to Oahu to conquer it. Despite all that effort, it didn’t work against him, and the opposing troops were forced off the Pali’s cliff, a long drop to their deaths.

DSC00635.jpg~original

DSC00637.jpg~original

DSC00638.jpg~original

The highway named after the eventual King of Hawaii, after he managed to conquer all the islands. Or, if you’re a DBZ fan, one of Goku’s signature moves haha

DSC00639.jpg~original

We passed by this the other day on our way to the PCC (apparently, you could bury your pets here in the cemetery as well, but it is extremely expensive and only gets worse the larger the animal), and today we were going in! After learning my strong interest in Japanese culture, Ron decided to make a stop to visit the Japanese temple that’s here. It was gorgeous! Definitely makes me want to go to Japan even more.

DSC00641.jpg~original

DSC00643.jpg~original

DSC00645.jpg~original

Edited by Miicah

There were SO many koi fish in the pond that surrounds the temple. Ron got us some pellets to feed them, and as I threw them while we were walking (I wanted to make sure the little ones had a better shot of getting them then the big fat ones haha) they would actually follow us! Ron said it was the first time he ever saw anything like it, haha. They only followed us so far before they turned back though, haha.

DSC00683.jpg~original

[YOUTUBE]qNEpS9-dPoo[/YOUTUBE]

DSC00686.jpg~original

DSC00689.jpg~original

DSC00690.jpg~original

DSC00692.jpg~original

DSC00695.jpg~original

Miicah,

Your photo of the Buddhist temple is amazing. Hawaii should hire you as a public relations rep.

Awn, thank you so much, haha. I liked it a lot, I think I took too many, haha. The last batch is coming up before I move on :p

DSC00711.jpg~original

DSC00713.jpg~original

You can taste some samples of Kona coffee here (or at least I believe it was Kona coffee…), as buy some macadamia nuts as well (though the real stuff are over in Hilo). It was a nice little shop with friendly people that had some chickens or roosters out back haha

DSC00715.jpg~original

Ron told us about this legend while we were making our way over here, but it’s also written on the plaques there. Unfortunately it suddenly began to rain so we didn’t get to spend that much time here.

DSC00725.jpg~original

DSC00726.jpg~original

DSC00727.jpg~original

DSC00728.jpg~original

DSC00730.jpg~original

DSC00731.jpg~original

We stopped at this local market for some fresh fruit snacks! I believe it’s near the one sole resort in the area—the name escapes me. It was run by Filipinos (at least the stalls on the left were), so it was nice for my mom to be amongst her people, haha.

DSC00734.jpg~original

Since we were approaching the North Shore, known for its surfing, there are many beaches around, and when we stopped to look we found this guy being towed back to shore. Apparently the strong current was too much for him.

DSC00737.jpg~original

DSC00739.jpg~original

There was someone here who was trying to take a selfie of himself for like five minutes. It drove Ron insane haha

DSC00768.jpg~original

DSC00769.jpg~original

Ron was mentioning how the trade winds came early this year, bring some awesome waves for surfers, and I suppose that should’ve been some sort of warning for what was to come on our cruise…

DSC00770.jpg~original

Some surfers catching some waves.

[YOUTUBE]0XdWJ6Jjnac[/YOUTUBE]

What's crazy is the guy surfing on a kayak. Never seen that before, haha.

[YOUTUBE]2NkzDjwNZt4[/YOUTUBE]

DSC00779.jpg~original

DSC00780.jpg~original

For lunch Ron stopped by what he coined as the best shrimp truck around.

DSC00782.jpg~original

I guess it’s true if Guy Fieri stopped by for his show!

DSC00784.jpg~original

DSC00785.jpg~original

I really liked the spicy shrimp that my mom had.

DSC00786.jpg~original

We treated Ron to lunch, and for someone who raved about the shrimp he ended up getting meat haha

DSC00787.jpg~original

DSC00789.jpg~original

DSC00806.jpg~original

DSC00807.jpg~original

I wish we had enough time to try the maze, or at least the train ride, but that’s one of the downsides of tours. Another thing to add to my growing ‘next time’ list, haha.

DSC00809.jpg~original

DSC00813.jpg~original

Toronto is thata way!

DSC00817.jpg~original

DSC00819.jpg~original

We were told that they must’ve just finished filming Hawaii Five-O, near the statue of Kamehameha, which the show uses in shots outside of their police station. Sometimes I like watching the show to see what places I’ve been to, haha. We never did end up visiting downtown Honolulu to visit this place and many others (like Iolani Palace), and I’m sad. Definitely the first place I’m going next time!

DSC00870.jpg~original

DSC00871.jpg~original

This is the new wing that they’re building of Ala Moana that I mentioned earlier.

DSC00877.jpg~original

Since we came back a little earlier than expected (which Ron deducted from the cost, of course), we decided to head to the military museum next to our condo building, since we had no intention of visiting Pearl Harbour and this was about as close as we were gonna get, haha.

DSC00878.jpg~original

DSC00879.jpg~original

DSC00881.jpg~original