Internet speed test on Quantum now

davelliott

New update from tonight: I checked the same speedtest.net site. But this time I used one of the Mac PCs in the library at 270. The ping was 213. Download 1.00 and upload 0.90. This used Miami. I expected this to be much better than my cheap mobile phone. While all three numbers were better than my original post, they aren't what I expected based on Royal's original announcement.

They are also no vast improvement over other internet connects on previous ships. Would be fine except they are touting sped and charging for same are they not?

George in NY - sailing Quantum in a wakeup :) 12/20

I agree with you. The internet speed on this barge is atrocious. It took me 43 minutes to download a 15mb manual and that was at their "So-Called" fastest "Blazing" internet speed.

The only good thing that I can say about this ship is that it is a "Quantum" failure.

Regards,

Chris

Im always on my iPhone looking at my security cameras around my house. I can also get Netflix to work fine. The only way my family can communicate is with iMessage on our iPhones because there's no cell service out here. FaceTime video and FaceTime audio work fine also. I can only communicate with my friends back in New Jersey with iPhone, iPads devices only. The people with android devices I can't talk to unless i use a 3 party texting app. He also use my Xfinity app to make phone calls back to land. I need to call out for my daughter school every day so I've been using that. I think the speeds work fine for everything I do. Oh I also uploaded all my photos to shutterfly and videos to YouTube fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got off Quantum this morning and had the Premium package. I was getting about 1Mbps up and down consistently through the cruise. The latency (ping time) I think was around 400ms total round trip (might have been a bit less) and it worked well enough that I could connect to some Linux systems via a terminal emulator (ssh for anyone who cares) and it was useable.

I was able to Facetime with family at home who had iDevices, and my wife called her Mom via Skype from my iPhone daily and the connections were great.

I also send some friends and family some fairly large videos and the transfer time seemed pretty much what I'd expect.

FWIW, I do have an iPhone 6, and I don't know if perhaps that device behaved better than some others, but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

After sailing onboard during the 11/2 transatlantic, 11/23 inaugural, and 12/1 inaugural Caribbean... generally the performance (both speed and reliability) was pretty awful. I don't think the performance problems were due to the onboard WiFi (I generally got fine, solid connections) and apparently it wasn't due to the satellites... I actually got BETTER performance numbers (marginally) after leaving Southampton than I did approaching NYC once we were on the O3B satellites.

11/2/2014 Southampton 670ms 0.25mBit 0.21mBit

11/4/2014 W of N coast Spain 547ms 0.21mBit 0.11mBit

11/6/2014 mid-Atlantic 37 42.57'N 37 45.00'W

687ms 0.09mBit 0.06mBit

11/9/2014 40 04.30'N 70 55.23' W 22.8 knots

401ms 0.20mBit

40 04.40'N 71 32.14' W 279ms 0.12mBit 0.06mBit

11/10/2014 40 06.03'N 72 46.24' W 315ms 0.10mBit

11/23/2014 399ms 0.02mBit 0.01mBit

11/25/2014 390ms 0.04mBit 0.00mBit

11/26/2014 265ms

12/07/2014 239ms 9.35mBit 1.96mBit

12/12/2014 39 50.45'N 73 41.18' W 215ms 1.00mBit 0.89mBit

I was very happy to see (finally) the performance running (very!) well by 12/7, but by 12/12 apparently they had started seriously throttling bandwidth.

Even just running Pings, I was getting anywhere from 1-in-4 to 4-in-4 dropped ping packets. I was (slightly) more successful, FWIW, uploading pictures to Snapfish than I was in uploading videos to Youtube... where the performance (and especially the reliability) during most of my 27 days onboard was truly very poor. I sincerely hope that things are better now, but I thought the prices they were charging (and for the speed and reliability delivered) were really very poor. We were promised land-like speeds for prices close to what one would pay for hotel internet... and we TRULY did not experience anything like that. $50/day for Internet? Sorry, but no.

Note that throttling is part of the package that you buy. I was apparently limited in speed but that was what was promised. It was stated that the O3B satellite coverage wouldn't really work well until Quantum got to the US east coast, and I got performance when sailing out of Bayonne that seemed appropriate. I didn't pay for the highest tier of speed, so I wasn't expecting faster than I got.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the internet package and is it good for the whole room reservation or just one person? I was trying to find information after doing my online check in but saw nothing mentioned (just drink packages and spa packages)

Thanks!

Heather

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the internet package and is it good for the whole room reservation or just one person? I was trying to find information after doing my online check in but saw nothing mentioned (just drink packages and spa packages)

Thanks!

Heather

Prices differ per cruise dependant on the length of the voyage, but the packages are either in 1 device or 2 device at a time, so for a family of four, probably not, however for a couple, a 2 device package could work.

Thanks!

Heather

Heather just off.

Three speeds BASIC- PREMIUM - PREMIUM PLUS

Unlimited 2 devices $200 $245 $350

Unlimited 1 device $160 $196 $280

Daily only 24 hr period $57 $70 $100

Hourly 60 minutes in 24 hr period $20 $25 $35

I was not impressed either with speed or consistency of ability to log in. I tried iPhone 5S, iPad 3rd gen, and Macbook Pro. Had to get resets by Guest Services twice because wouldn't take my user name and passw after first use.

George in NY

• 4 months later...

I am on the Quantum as we cross from Bayonne to Barcelona. The packages offered relate to the amount of time and do not vary in the speed level. For the 11 day crossing, the top of the line unlimited for up to two devices is $220 dollars.

The speeds have been consistent at about 0.1 Mbps with latency in excess of 2,000 ms. FaceTime, Skype and Netflix have been useless. Email with pictures or ads are incredibly slow.

Areas of the ship are under construction as it prepares to stay for the foreseeable future in Asia. Only 4 computers are available in the library with no one to help with the unfamiliar Mac computers. With everyone walking around with smartphones, IPads and more, the bandwidth is stretched to the point that it can't meet promised service.

If you thought you could conduct business face to face in video you would be greatly disappointed.

I guess the Anthem will be no better, too bad.

Based on what I read about how the technology works, the true high-speed coverage is currently only available mostly around the east coast of the US and down to the Caribbean. When not in those areas, I know it will be slower, though I don't know if what's been reported is what's expected.

I will say that when I was on our cruise late last year, we did have much better speeds than have been reported for the Barcelona crossing.

In any case .... Hey, you're on an awesome ship, get off the Internet! :)

Still on the Quantum in Barcelona headed to Dubai. The internet slowness will continue until the ship stations itself in Shanghai for the foreseeable future. The problem is not the ship but the positions of the satellites.

You were right about the presumption of the Anthem. As long it is near the East Coast and the Caribbean the satellite reception should be good.

Hi

Who told you the slow internet was due to the position of the satelittes? I am familiar with the new o3b system and in Barcelona and South of Barcelona you are in the optimal coverage pattern of the satelittes.I think it's more likely that Royal Caribbean have not paid for the new 03b satellite coverage on the repositioning portion as this would take admin and I.T. effort and RCI are poor in these departments.

Don't let them fool you,if the speed is slow then ask for your money back,nothing to do the satellites position as they are low earth orbiting so change position constantly and are unlike "normal" geostationary satellites.:confused:

Hi

Who told you the slow internet was due to the position of the satelittes? I am familiar with the new o3b system and in Barcelona and South of Barcelona you are in the optimal coverage pattern of the satelittes.I think it's more likely that Royal Caribbean have not paid for the new 03b satellite coverage on the repositioning portion as this would take admin and I.T. effort and RCI are poor in these departments.

Don't let them fool you,if the speed is slow then ask for your money back,nothing to do the satellites position as they are low earth orbiting so change position constantly and are unlike "normal" geostationary satellites.:confused:

This information was what I was personally told by both the President of O3B (who I met onboard Quantum before sailing on the maiden voyage transatlantic), and various techs from O3B who I met onboard later. The issue isn't just where the satellites are in their orbits, but that they have to actively steer their signals to the specific ships, and they just aren't set up to do that in these other areas of the world (yet, at least).

That makes more sense as they do use beam forming technology,still can't help thinking that RCI just have not bothered to arrange service with 03b for the repositioning.Real shame as I was looking forward to trying proper high speed internet from Dubai to Singapore.