Gem vs Breakaway, which is better?

jleslie48

Its better to compare the Gem Suite to a Breakaway Haven Suite since both come with similar perks instead of the Breakaway mini-suite, which is just a glorified balcony room in spirit.

Not quite. Because all suites are Haven suites on Breakaway, those have more perks than regular suites on Gem - the large Haven with bar, restaurant etc on Breakaway offers quite a bit more value than "regular" suite perks are on older ships.

If one wanted to have apples to apples comparison, they should then at least compare Haven suites to Haven suites and even then newer ships have more perks - and in that case the total price difference is a lot more than in the situation discussed here.

Edited by Demonyte

Its better to compare the Gem Suite to a Breakaway Haven Suite since both come with similar perks instead of the Breakaway mini-suite, which is just a glorified balcony room in spirit.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I don't need the comparison of the rooms I was talking in general about the ships. know the difference from a mini suite to a full suite.

Again, what people seem to not understand is you're comparing a Apple (Gem - Jewel class ship) to an Orange (Breakaway class ship).The only thing genuinely same about them is that their under NCL and that it is. Everything about both ships can't really be compare equally - You're either going them love both types, hate one but love other, or hate both. Can't even compare suite perks between the two because its that damn different between the two classes of ships. (Key terms - 2 completely different classes of ships that carry different number of passengers -2500vs4000).

OP wanted opinions and that was my opinion - Can't really compare because it 2 completely different ships and both are wonderful in their own right. Now if going to bite someone's head off for comparing the equivalent on each ship (Gem Suites to Breakaway Haven Suites), realize that's the one of few closest comparsions one can do to and even then that not close enough. Either like apples (Gem) or you just don't, same thing with the oranges (Breakaway) - and you know what? Its okay liking one over the other due to those differences.

Again, what people seem to not understand is you're comparing a Apple (Gem - Jewel class ship) to an Orange (Breakaway class ship).The only thing genuinely same about them is that their under NCL and that it is. Everything about both ships can't really be compare equally - You're either going them love both types, hate one but love other, or hate both. Can't even compare suite perks between the two because its that damn different between the two classes of ships. (Key terms - 2 completely different classes of ships that carry different number of passengers -2500vs4000).

OP wanted opinions and that was my opinion - Can't really compare because it 2 completely different ships and both are wonderful in their own right. Now if going to bite someone's head off for comparing the equivalent on each ship (Gem Suites to Breakaway Haven Suites), realize that's the one of few closest comparsions one can do to and even then that not close enough. Either like apples (Gem) or you just don't, same thing with the oranges (Breakaway) - and you know what? Its okay liking one over the other due to those differences.

Who bit whose head off? Lol

All I wanted to know is people's opinions on what I asked above. No need for this whole rigmarole

Not quite. Because all suites are Haven suites on Breakaway, those have more perks than regular suites on Gem - the large Haven with bar, restaurant etc on Breakaway offers quite a bit more value than "regular" suite perks are on older ships.

If one wanted to have apples to apples comparison, they should then at least compare Haven suites to Haven suites and even then newer ships have more perks - and in that case the total price difference is a lot more than in the situation discussed here.

I agree if it was all about the suites in my question I know the difference I was asking about the ship comparison per say and about giving up a mini suite on the breakaway and getting an SF on the gem. Maywell is answering what doesn't need to be answered.

I agree if it was all about the suites in my question I know the difference I was asking about the ship comparison per say and about giving up a mini suite on the breakaway and getting an SF on the gem. Maywell is answering what doesn't need to be answered.

Right now I'm on my cell phone so I can't really repost the original comment from Jp2001 regarding Gem Suite perks and size to the Breakaway's mini-suite, which is a bad comparison because its an apple to an orange. Haven suite probably the closest comparison to Jewel-class suites and even then that not good because it two different model ships with different systems.

Edited by maywell

Again, what people seem to not understand is you're comparing a Apple (Gem - Jewel class ship) to an Orange (Breakaway class ship).

No, what you fail to recognize is that when comparing CRUISES, one wants to know what is available from their desired ports to their desired destinations. Given two ships with the same basic itineraries, it is perfectly reasonable to want to compare what is different about them.

No, what you fail to recognize is that when comparing CRUISES, one wants to know what is available from their desired ports to their desired destinations. Given two ships with the same basic itineraries, it is perfectly reasonable to want to compare what is different about them.

And if I'm not mistaken, you listed out what you didn't like about the Breakaway in your opening post which is the same reason(s) some people love about it or hate it. So tell me and rest of thread why we should convince you on floating mall / mini city with numerous resuarants, bars, attractions & activities that seems overly crowded to you (Breakaway) to a yacht that has less than 1/4 of the of stuff the bigger ship has (Gem). That's exactly what being compare - The Gem has less stuff like specialty restaurants, complimentary places to eat, no rock climbing wall, no mini-golf no Waterfront, no open Atrium nor large water park but more spacious pool(s) compare to Breakaway that has all of that and then some but a small main pool. And either ship is perfect to sail on, a tiny personal ship with not much on it (Gem) or floating mega resort (Breakaway) its all about what one prefers to spend time on and heading off to.

I'm not even going into subject of accommodations deeply because 1) Gem suites and perks to Breakaway's Haven suites and enclosed area -you'll love it or hate one ship's suite and perks over the other and rightly so. 2) Breakaway rooms are smaller but has better hidden bells and whistles compare to Gem- again, either love or hate one over the other. And nothing wrong with liking or hating one over the other - I'll make the same case if it was RCCL Allure to the Grandeur or Carnival Breeze to the Fantasy, or even better fair comparsion the NCL Jewel to Pearl.

Edit: FYI, the Gem does not have same iternaries as the Breakaway. Its either shorter or longer than the typical 7day ones that Breakaway's usual fixed sailing schedule. That and Gem is sometimes not in NYC for couple of months - 2016 its sailing from Puerto Rico instead of NYC from Oct to Dec.

Edited by maywell

So tell me and rest of thread why we should convince you on floating mall / mini city with ...

Because I'm trying to figure out if there is something I missed on the Breakaway. Why you think its not fair to compare them is still a mystery to me.

Edited by jleslie48

Because I'm trying to figure out if there is something I missed on the Breakaway. Why you think its not fair to compare them is still a mystery to me.

The only true way to figure out what you missed on the Breakaway is by sailing on it again. Because people writing about it and the actual real life experience are two completely different things. And if you don't feel comfortable sailing on it again - that fine too, you shouldn't force yourself into something you don't like.

Edit- Because it comparing Apples to Oranges, a yacht to a mini-city (Seriously, that what Gem looks like to Breakaway when dock next to each) . Both are completely different class of ships from one another that feel and move differently - So what fair comparison to each other?

Edited by maywell

It's a TOTALLY legitament thing to compare the two that's what i was was asking. Why Maywell is saying what she is saying is not understandable. Clearly she likes the breakaway better but that doesn't make the gem any worse. As a matter of fact when I was talking to my PCC this morning he mentioned how a lot of people prefer the gem over the breakaway. I'm still considering switching from the breakway to the gem. I don't do the rock climbing or the slides or any of that stuff. And as for the same ports yes they do. This may the gem is doing a 7 night to the florida bahamas route same as breakaway does in the winter. Again I don't know why Maywell said they don't do the same itinerary it may not be at the same time or it maybe I don't know and I don't care lol

It's a TOTALLY legitament thing to compare the two that's what i was was asking. Why Maywell is saying what she is saying is not understandable. Clearly she likes the breakaway better but that doesn't make the gem any worse. As a matter of fact when I was talking to my PCC this morning he mentioned how a lot of people prefer the gem over the breakaway. I'm still considering switching from the breakway to the gem. I don't do the rock climbing or the slides or any of that stuff. And as for the same ports yes they do. This may the gem is doing a 7 night to the florida bahamas route same as breakaway does in the winter. Again I don't know why Maywell said they don't do the same itinerary it may not be at the same time or it maybe I don't know and I don't care lol

Actually I don't care about the ship as long as it sails from NYC and is within my last-minute or 9 months-year out price range and time schedule. In other words, I could had easily taken the Gem for my birthday the 1st timeif wasn't originally schedule for dry-dock at the time.

The Gem doesn't do Bermuda sailings at all, the Dawn and Breakaway do. The Gem goes to Canada, the Breakaway does not at all. The Gem does 6 -17 day Carbibean and Canadian sailings, the Breakaway does 7 day Fl and Bahamas in sept to about march and Bermuda in april/may to sept, with some 12 southern Caribbean sailing in Winter and two 14 day combine Fl / Bahamas/ Bermuda. If you're going to compare iternaries of the two, that what being compared - a ship that pretty much sails almost every island and Canada but not Bermuda for longer / shorter period of time (Gem) to a ship with a static schedule thats like clockwork to the point you know exactly where it is because it Tuesday (Breakaway and its probably docking in Port Carnaval right because it almost 12pm). Pretty much apples to oranges situation - you're going to like ship and it iternary for what it is or not.

Actually I don't care about the ship as long as it sails from NYC and is within my last-minute or 9 months-year out price range and time schedule. In other words, I could had easily taken the Gem for my birthday the 1st timeif wasn't originally schedule for dry-dock at the time.

The Gem doesn't do Bermuda sailings at all, the Dawn and Breakaway do. The Gem goes to Canada, the Breakaway does not at all. The Gem does 6 -17 day Carbibean and Canadian sailings, the Breakaway does 7 day Fl and Bahamas in sept to about march and Bermuda in april/may to sept, with some 12 southern Caribbean sailing in Winter and two 14 day combine Fl / Bahamas/ Bermuda. If you're going to compare iternaries of the two, that what being compared - a ship that pretty much sails almost every island and Canada but not Bermuda for longer / shorter period of time (Gem) to a ship with a static schedule thats like clockwork to the point you know exactly where it is because it Tuesday (Breakaway and its probably docking in Port Carnaval right because it almost 12pm). Pretty much apples to oranges situation - you're going to like ship and it iternary for what it is or not.

You have so lost me you have no idea LOL. Stop the madness

I am also hoping folks from NCL are paying attention so they get a feel for what people like and don't like about their ships. Maybe they will realize they should offer more cruises from the Gem from NYC. As it stands I will be avoiding the Breakaway. If that means I will be switching to another cruise line that has trips from NYC (area) the I will do that before I return to the breakaway.

Its not that hard - There's no fair comparison between Gem and Breakaway because the Gem is a small ship that does 6 to 17 day Iternaries in the most parts of Caribbean plus it goes to Canada/ New England but not to Bermuda. While Breakaway is a large ship that mostly does 7 day trips to Fl/ bahamas for one part of the year and Bermuda the 2nd half with some 12 day southern Carbibean sailing in the Winter next year but no Canada / New England sailings at all.

I don't know how to break that down any further than to say take a quick glance at both their sailings dates and pick the one you prefer that best that fits your schedule, where you want to go and which ship you're more comfortable on. But I have to warn the only thing you'll get out of the Breakaway for now is 7 night trips to Fl/ Bahamas and three 2 &12 nights in January / February 2015 compare to Gem's 9-11 day Eastern Carbibean sailings for the whole months of December/ January / February. That's why I said it comparing apples to oranges - a big ship with a schedule that pretty much the same old, same old (Breakaway) to small ship that pretty much goes to different places for different amount of days (Gem). Can't really compare the two.

she's all over the place. I don't think she understands the concept of apples to oranges. She is splitting hairs over the the type of ship. Personally as far as I am concerned its apples to apples to just compare 1 vacation trip to another. I have no issue comparing the pros and cons of a cruise to the Caribbean with a ski vacation in vermont. A vacation is a vacation, viz, apples to apples.

she's all over the place. I don't think she understands the concept of apples to oranges. She is splitting hairs over the the type of ship. Personally as far as I am concerned its apples to apples to just compare 1 vacation trip to another. I have no issue comparing the pros and cons of a cruise to the Caribbean with a ski vacation in vermont. A vacation is a vacation, viz, apples to apples.

Exactly my thoughts. I have no idea what she's rambling on about honestly.

Its not that hard - There's no fair comparison between Gem and Breakaway because the Gem is a small ship that does 6 to 17 day Iternaries in the most parts of Caribbean plus it goes to Canada/ New England but not to Bermuda. While Breakaway is a large ship that mostly does 7 day trips to Fl/ bahamas for one part of the year and Bermuda the 2nd half with some 12 day southern Carbibean sailing in the Winter next year but no Canada / New England sailings at all.

I don't know how to break that down any further than to say take a quick glance at both their sailings dates and pick the one you prefer that best that fits your schedule, where you want to go and which ship you're more comfortable on. But I have to warn the only thing you'll get out of the Breakaway for now is 7 night trips to Fl/ Bahamas and three 2 &12 nights in January / February 2015 compare to Gem's 9-11 day Eastern Carbibean sailings for the whole months of December/ January / February. That's why I said it comparing apples to oranges - a big ship with a schedule that pretty much the same old, same old (Breakaway) to small ship that pretty much goes to different places for different amount of days (Gem). Can't really compare the two.

Your making a mountain out of a molehill. Drop it already.

Edited by FootballParent

This is the way it works for me and my wife:

M:"honey lets go on vacation"

___W: "ok where should be go skiing or a cruise"

M:"lets go warm lets go on a cruise"

___W: "ok, where too"

M:"lets not have to deal with an airport and flights, lets see what leaves out of NY"

___W: "ok, what our choices"

and that is the barrel of apples we have to choose from. Not an orange anywhere in sight.

Edited by jleslie48

Because sure, comparing the Breakaway's 7 day trip to Florida, the Private Island and Nassau, Bahamas is a fair comparison to the Gem's 11 day to San Juan, St. Thomas, Philipsburg, Basseterre and Tortola that's happening the same week is completely the same thing. And the following week, the Breakaway is repeating same sailing while Gem is still on the 11 day is a total fair comparison to both ships. Then the week after that, the Gem is doing a 9 day trip to San Juan, St. Thomas, Philipsburg, and Tortola while the Breakaway is repeating the same sailing Fl /Bahamas again. A big ship with alot of bells & whistles repeating the same trip and days/nights compared to a smaller ship with a calmer atmosphere and less stuff on it going completely different places than the bigger ship and for longer days/nights is totally fair comparison to each other. Likewise, a ski trip in Vermont is exactly the same as walking tour of Providence or lying out in hot beach of Cancun around the same day. Right...

Because a preferred personal preference is a fair impartial comparison to two completely different size ships and sailings, where either choice is right choice to a person going on the trip anyway. Go with the Gem, Jleslie48, the Breakaway is a bad choice for you for all the things I stated in earlier posts.

Because sure, comparing the Breakaway's 7 day trip to Florida, the Private Island and Nassau, Bahamas is a fair comparison to the Gem's

You keep talking about cruises, when all I was comparing was the ships. When you stick to simply talking about the ships and not this stop or that, or these number of days vs that, then we can take your thoughts seriously. As it is you are too busy talking about fruits or whatever that we aren't going to sort it out.

All I wanted to know was what people thought about the respective ships as comparing shipboard experiences of one vs the other. Quite frankly I stopped reading your posts the second you said they weren't comparable. Clearly if you can't see the value of a side-by-side comparison of the boats irrespective of the cruise, you are not of value in this conversation.

I've been on the Gem and the Jewel lots of times. I really enjoy that class of ship. I resisted going on the larger ships till last month we went on the Breakaway in a Haven Spa Suite.

On the Gem we've done 3 different suites, the last being an SF.

We were surprised how much we loved the BA. I thought the ship was laid out nice. I liked just two banks of elevators, I thought it made the ship seem smaller. Most public area was stacked up and down as opposed to spread fore and aft. We also enjoyed the various entertainment choices in the evening. Also seemed like more food options for lunch. Even though we had the Haven restaurant we tried other options at lunch a few days. I thought there was much less smoke in the casino on BA also. Also having suite restaurant for dinner was a nice perk.

That being said I think I still prefer the Gem. We liked sitting at Magnums bar listening to whatever entertainment was playing. Different shows each night. The Great outdoors when we didn't have an aft cabin.

I really like an SF or any aft balcony when sailing out of NY in the winter. The last couple sea days heading north you have sun (if it's shinning) and no wind on your balcony all day.

You've tried the BA, give the Gem and suite a try.

Edited by Gregor4500

You keep talking about cruises, when all I was comparing was the ships. When you stick to simply talking about the ships and not this stop or that, or these number of days vs that, then we can take your thoughts seriously. As it is you are too busy talking about fruits or whatever that we aren't going to sort it out.

All I wanted to know was what people thought about the respective ships as comparing shipboard experiences of one vs the other. Quite frankly I stopped reading your posts the second you said they weren't comparable. Clearly if you can't see the value of a side-by-side comparison of the boats irrespective of the cruise, you are not of value in this conversation.

I did compare the ships, you just didn't bother to read what I and others wrote about it. It's pretty much - Breakaway has alot stuff with a small main pool and even out spacing compare to Gem that has 1/4 of the stuff that Breakaway has with a bigger pool and even spacing for number of people sailing on it (2500 vs Breakaway's 4000). I'm not going to rewrite all the notes on each, you can pretty much look it up on NCL, Beyondships, and the world wide web with pictures too.

Again, like I said in my last post - Just stick with Gem, you'll be way happier than on the Breakaway, anyway.

I did compare the ships, you just didn't bother to read what I and others wrote about it. It's pretty much - Breakaway has alot stuff with a small main pool and even out spacing compare to Gem that has 1/4 of the stuff that Breakaway has with a bigger pool and even spacing for number of people sailing on it (2500 vs Breakaway's 4000). I'm not going to rewrite all the notes on each, you can pretty much look it up on NCL, Beyondships, and the world wide web with pictures too.

Again, like I said in my last post - Just stick with Gem, you'll be way happier than on the Breakaway, anyway.

You went into way to much depth that's where the problem lies. No one asked about itineraries yet you took up about 3 posts with that.

Never mind on trying to explain your apples and oranges we get it.