Viking Magni Review of Rhine over Thanksgiving 2014

Nodakboiler

My DW and I cruised the Viking Magni from Basel to Amsterdam over Thanksgiving week. This was our first river cruise after experiencing many ocean cruises on both NCL and RCCL. We weren't sure what to expect, but Viking and its staff exceeded our high expectations. We thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience.

We made our flight reservations with Viking and had no problems with connections or seat assignments. When we arrived in Basel, we transferred to the shuttle bus and we were less than a 15-minute ride to the boat. Within 20 minutes, we were able to access our cabin. The balcony cabins are smaller than the balcony cabins on the bigger ocean cruise lines, but they are manageable.

The food selection and service were both outstanding. My DW is a picky eater and she was always able to find something to eat. Actually, one of the little known (or publicized) items on the ship is that you can have a "light dinner" up in the lounge area most nights. The selection includes burgers and fries, pasta, and salads. We did this 2-3 nights and enjoyed it. The Cobb salad was awesome. The Chef made a full Thanksgiving dinner with the trimmings that made us feel like home. Our server Pam always made us feel special.

The weather during the week was pretty good. Temps were in the 50s for the first couple of days and then dipped into the 40s (and overcast) for a few days before the sun emerged again at the end of the trip. The Christmas Markets were being erected early in the trip before being in full force by the time we hit Cologne. While we were in Strasbourg, Pope Francis visited, but we didn't see him. The security force was apparent while touring the city.

I have had several people ask me if I like the river cruise experience over cursing on the big ocean liners and my response is: I don't like one versus the other. They are just different experiences. River cruising is a much more intimate and personal experience. You don't have anywhere to hide like you do on NCL and RCCL. There are only 184 passengers on the ship and you get an opportunity to meet some very interesting people.

The final comment is about the incredible service by the Viking crew. They went above and beyond several times. As a matter of fact, two passengers we had dinner with one night and had to cut their trip short because of a death in the family. Viking helped them make their arrangements to get back to the States.

We will look to go on another river cruise at some point in the future and we will definitely consider Viking.

I agree with you completely. We always loved ocean cruising. We tried a Viking river cruise and loved it. Next year we're back on a trans-Atlantic Ocean but would do another Viking river anytime. Two very different experiences but both wonderful trips.

Glad to hear another positive report on Viking. My DH and I are currently on the Odin doing the Romantic Danube/Christmas Market cruise and loving every moment of it. I agree the staff has a way of making you feel special. We are considering canceling one of our ocean cruises next year and replacing with another river cruise.