westin ft. lauderdale

revj

I had asked about this hotel and was told by others here that its a bit far out and there really isn't anything close by. A cab ride to get something to eat would eat up any savings that I would have realized. Nothing bad about the area or hotel, its nice, but nothing near by.

The Westin is near Cypress Creek & I-95. If you stay up there it's best to have a rental car. It's a residential/office type neighborhood and taxis up and back would be quite expensive. You'd be much better off staying along SE 17th Street where you're less than 10 minutes from the airport, just outside the entrance to Port Everglades and can safely and easily walk to everything you could possibly want.

We stayed at that Westin two years ago for our Caribbean cruise in Feb 2003 and will be staying there again in May 2006 before our Trans-Panama Canal cruise. Granted, it was two years ago, but our room was very nicely furnished--one of the few times that I've been able to sleep soundly in a hotel room. The hotel is located in a "business park", as Arby's offices are next door. For those that aren't afraid to walk, we found a convenience store within walking distance (a few blocks) to buy water to bring on board, and a small bar for burgers and beer for a late lunch. I do remember seeing some little sandwich shops/pizza places across the street from the c-store. If you're looking for chain restaurants, you're looking at a cab ride. I think someone said there was a mall up the road, but was too far to walk and would involve crossing the freeway.

After booking the Panama cruise and finding out where our pre-cruise stay would be, I read some of the reviews about the Westin on Travelocity. Taking all reviews with a grain of salt, your stay will be as good or bad as you make it. We want a hotel that's clean, to relax at pre-cruise, and know that both us and our luggage will be going together the next day to the ship.

Archived