Which Dream Cove Balcony ??

gosaints2006

We will be traveling with a baby and will most likely spend a lot of time on the balcony at night. We would like to have as much privacy as possible and reduce the chances of noisy or bright (balcony lights) neighbors. After ample research, I selected 2301. It is between the lifeboats and does not have one of those security cameras in our face. But now I'm considering switching to 2273. 2273 is the fist cabin in the row of coves. It has the life boat, but no camera. One if our balcony walls should be solid (ocean view is next door, no balcony) which decreases some of the effects of neighbors. I suppose there is more of a chance of sprays from the wake?

What would you do, stay or switch ??

We will be traveling with a baby and will most likely spend a lot of time on the balcony at night. We would like to have as much privacy as possible and reduce the chances of noisy or bright (balcony lights) neighbors. After ample research, I selected 2301. It is between the lifeboats and does not have one of those security cameras in our face. But now I'm considering switching to 2273. 2273 is the fist cabin in the row of coves. It has the life boat, but no camera. One if our balcony walls should be solid (ocean view is next door, no balcony) which decreases some of the effects of neighbors. I suppose there is more of a chance of sprays from the wake?

Po-ta-to, po-tah-to. Choose whichever floats your boat. (cruising analogy noted)

May I ask how you know where security cameras are located? I'll be in 2252 in January and was happy with my selection (under guest services) until I saw your comment regarding the cameras. Never thought about security cameras peering in my balcony. Do they really?

Info please!

I was in 2248 on the port side and it is the first in the row of cove balconies on that side. That was great, only heard one neighbor, and since we sailed prior to the smoking ban on balconies we did not have to worry about smoke from balconies ahead of us.

Po-ta-to, po-tah-to. Choose whichever floats your boat. (cruising analogy noted)

May I ask how you know where security cameras are located? I'll be in 2252 in January and was happy with my selection (under guest services) until I saw your comment regarding the cameras. Never thought about security cameras peering in my balcony. Do they really?

Info please!

I went to the port and looked at the ship. Once I knew what I was looking for, I have a high res picture where I can find them.

The cameras are:

Before the 1st lifeboat

After the 8th

After the 12th

2252 is safe

Edited by gosaints2006

I was in 2248 on the port side and it is the first in the row of cove balconies on that side. That was great, only heard one neighbor, and since we sailed prior to the smoking ban on balconies we did not have to worry about smoke from balconies ahead of us.

Did you have much spray being a little closer to the bow? That is my biggest concern. We can have a more private balcony, but when you're getting wet, who cares.

There was quite a bit of spray. We had to dry things off in the mornings.

We did not have an issue with that but our room steward left us more towels after we pointed it out.

We did have surprisingly rough seas for the itinerary we were on.

Also, the waves slapping against the hull surprised us the first day, but we quickly got used to that.

I had he cove closest to the front on the Breeze this summer, when the water was a little choppier we got some spray on the balcony. I didn't think it was too bad though. I looked more at what was above and below me. Guest services was above so I knew it would be pretty quiet at night. I've heard to avoid being below the galley as that can get noisy at times.

As far as quiet, it all depends on your neighbors. One of our neighbors had at least two kids with them who let the balcony door slam alot and they argued and cried and we could hear it. Not too often but it sucked when I was dozing on my hammock on the balcony.

I LOVED the cove, but I think I would rather be a little further back next time to avoid spray in rough water.

I had cove 2337 and B and SIL had the room next door. Great location very little noise. We did have a little spray from the ocean but not enough to really worry about. We just wiped it down with a towel. Have a great cruise.

Edited by fuzzmane

• 2 months later...
I had he cove closest to the front on the Breeze this summer, when the water was a little choppier we got some spray on the balcony. I didn't think it was too bad though. I looked more at what was above and below me. Guest services was above so I knew it would be pretty quiet at night. I've heard to avoid being below the galley as that can get noisy at times.

As far as quiet, it all depends on your neighbors. One of our neighbors had at least two kids with them who let the balcony door slam alot and they argued and cried and we could hear it. Not too often but it sucked when I was dozing on my hammock on the balcony.

I LOVED the cove, but I think I would rather be a little further back next time to avoid spray in rough water.

Glenn,

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of how you attached your hammock on the balcony? We have the first cove balcony on Magic in May, and I can't find any pictures of what the front wall of the balcony has on it that I could use to attach the hammock.

I've sailed in a Cove Balcony 7x, they've always been port side near the midship elevators - right under the dining rooms. I've not done as much extensive research into the exact room as you have but I've never had an issue with "bright lights" or spraying. The only advice I can offer, is if you're looking to minimize the noise, make sure the cabin you choose is surrounded by 2pax rooms as opposed to 3 or 4. That way, you're chances are better that it will be other couples or friends as opposed to families with kids.

I stayed in 2273 on the Dream back in September. It was very quiet and nice. I didn't feel much of any ocean spray. The deck and chairs were never wet but there was always that "salty buildup" on the railing though. It was a very nice room and balcony.

Oh yeah, you could only see the camera if you really leaned over the railing. The camera can't see onto the balcony.

And one last thing...that room stayed pretty warm all the time...even with the curtains closed and the air full blast. So bring a fan if you like your room to be cooler than slightly miserable :)

Can someone tell me the attraction to the cove balconies? I have never been in one so I am just curious as to all the hype about them. To me, they look like they would be almost like a cave, very dark and closed in. Obviously, that is not the feel they actually present as I hear so many people rave about them. I looked at them for our Breeze cruise but decided against it as I was not sold on them.