MSC Sinfonia Genoa to Istanbul Review

Skier52

Pete .... Nice review, just working on ours from the Orchestra cruise.

Thanks for taking the time to read it and replying on this thread. your efforts are much appreciated.

Look forward to your review

Pete

Pete, In your review you mentioned an MSC Lounge at Genoa Airport. We have not heard of this. Is this for Black Card holders only?

Ross & Yvonne.

No, it's for all MSC guests, on what we Brits call the first floor of departures area ....I think in the US you call it the second floor.

WE have ground floor then first floor , second floor etc

There is a lift and staircase to the left of the check-in desks and you go up 1 floor and the lounge is about 20 yards along from the lift exit

i've found this on an MSC web site

Exclusive lounge at Genoa Airport

If you’re travelling from Genoa Airport you can start your journey in relaxation and comfort, thanks to the exclusive MSC Lounge. Open from 09:00 to 17:00 (longer if necessary), the air-conditioned lounge is furnished with comfortable seating for 60 people and equipped with an internet access point and a small left luggage area for emergencies. Staff are always on hand to assist you and will happily provide discount vouchers for meals in the airport buffet. There’s even an outdoor terrace where you can relax while you wait for your return flight. You can call the MSC Lounge on (+39) 010 8607976.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

No, it's for all MSC guests, on what we Brits call the first floor of departures area ....I think in the US you call it the second floor.

WE have ground floor then first floor , second floor etc

There is a lift and staircase to the left of the check-in desks and you go up 1 floor and the lounge is about 20 yards along from the lift exit

I've found this on an MSC web site

Pete

Hi Pete,

Just to clarify we're not from the U.S. but Australia. Yes we call the ground floor the ground floor, a lift a lift, an escalator an escalator, a car a car, and a pavement a pavement Although we do have stryne which is an Australian slang loosely based upon cockney rhyming slang.

(Seppo = Septic Tank = Yank = U.S. person)

We are using Qantas Points on BA for business class mainly because of the amount of luggage we are hauling around the world, so will use their lounge at Genoa but maybe you should let other Cruise Critic members know about this facility as it is not widely advertised as far as I can see.

I'd like to thank people for their kind words and ask if there are any other things that people think should be included in a review.

I usually have more images from around the ship (or a link to an album) but this time thought it would be of little benetit as she is being strectched and reffited and won't look the same at all

I tend to always use the same format/Remplate

1) choice of itinerary

2) choice of cabin/ experience

3) embarkation

4) Demography of the guests

5) Dining

6) entertainment

7) PORTS OF CALL

8) Staff

9) dismbarkation

10) conclusion

So any thoughts would be gratefully received and hopefully included to give better ( giving info people want) reviews in the future

Pete

Hi Pete ... Still working on our review, i have been over to the reviews page for the Orchestra for this particular cruise and those that are there are mostly short and range from people went hungry! to a decent cruise.

I guess you cannot please All the people All of the time.

Hi Pete ... Still working on our review, i have been over to the reviews page for the Orchestra for this particular cruise and those that are there are mostly short and range from people went hungry! to a decent cruise.

I guess you cannot please All the people All of the time.

How can you go hungry?

There is a wide choice of food on all MSC ships, unless you are a very fussy eater that doesn't do, Italian food, fast food ( burgers and hotdogs etc), fruit, cakes , bread, cheese, and:- they are probably a vegan with food intolerances. :confused::D:D:D:D.

I must admit that the food isn't top drawer but I've rarely had a problem with any of it.

I have had better:- Yacht club and RCI and NCL(at extra cost) and worse P&O

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I'd like to thank people for their kind words and ask if there are any other things that people think should be included in a review.

I usually have more images from around the ship (or a link to an album) but this time thought it would be of little benetit as she is being strectched and reffited and won't look the same at all

I tend to always use the same format/Remplate

1) choice of itinerary

2) choice of cabin/ experience

3) embarkation

4) Demography of the guests

5) Dining

6) entertainment

7) PORTS OF CALL

8) Staff

9) dismbarkation

10) conclusion

So any thoughts would be gratefully received and hopefully included to give better ( giving info people want) reviews in the future

Pete

More tales and pictures of Bedford!

Seriously though, you have a winning formula there. Enough information without becoming War and Peace.

Only other things you could consider would be perhaps something on other services if you use them that is. Don't think we should make you use the spa just so you can tell us about it or force you to note down all the prices of photos! Perhaps something on wifi availability and ease of use/speed versus cost.

Really, almost nothing you need to do. I will always read your reviews because I know I'm going to find them both informative and interesting.

Not sure if I've told you this before but I have on several occasions used your very good descriptions of ports. I'm visually impaired (tunnel vision) so exploring on my own works best if I'm well prepared. I tend to memorise notable landmarks so I don't get lost. Your descriptions backed by photos really help me. So thank you.

Edited by AmoMondo

• 1 month later...

Hmmm...

And I've got a totally different experience from the same ship on the same route a few days later:

The cruise itinerary was middle of December 2014, departing from Genoa to Civitavecchia to Heraklion to Piraeus to Istanbul (2 days stop in Istanbul) to Malta to Messina and back to Genoa.

The cruise was booked directly by MSC, including the Allegrissimo drinks package.

Embarkation in Genoa went quite well, thanks.

But this was almost only the one positive side of this cursed cruise, hence then the problems started.

First, from the very first day of the cruise I noticed that the bars and restaurants were undermanned. There were simply not enough waiters and waitresses. The bar in the buffet restaurants was only open during the dinner time - all the other time no other beverages other than the free coffee/tea and concentrated juices were offered. At the times of breakfast and lunch only one or two waters were there, and the chance to order something was almost zero.

Private discussions with several members of personnel clarified the problem: the ship was doing its last couple of rounds on this itinerary, so it was really undermanned hence the management laid almost 30% of personnel off.

Then, on the second day of the travel, after leaving the Civitavecchia, the ship went defect. One of the motors went damaged. But the management of the ship informed the passengers only much later, after almost everyone on the board already noticed it for themselves.

So, instead of Heraklion, the ship was heading to Messina, where it was expected to be fixed.

On the same, second day of the cruise, in the Bier pub (near Ambassador Lounge), where there were 4 different sorts of draft beer included in the Allegrissimo package, two of those 4 sorts (Murphy’s and Newcastle Brown Ale) were finished! Just imagine – 2 sorts of beer were finished on the 2nd day of the 11 days cruise. And of course exactly those, which are my favorite! One of the main reasons for paying for Allegrissimo package for me and my partner were the ability to drink Murphy’s and Newcastle!!! So I immediately expressed my concerns to both the reception and to the bar personnel, asking them to raise this to the main bar management. From both reception and the barmen I was promised to rectify this issue ASAP.

Late the same night we left Messina, but nobody informed the passengers where we head now. It was only next morning, when the reception distributed the changed itinerary, informing us that the defect was not fixed and so we keep going with only 50% power and speed. This time we were told that we again don’t go to Heraklion for now and due to call Malta instead. No more plans regarding the further itinerary were yet given.

So we visited Valetta. After departure from Valetta, we were finally informed by the reception, that the itinerary changes significantly and we are not going to visit Heraklion at all.

The same day after the departure I learned from the pub, that the promise to rectify the issue with Murphey’s and Newcastle beer was a lie and nothing was done. I rose this again to the reception and again was said that they will try to clarify and do something. Additionally, at the bar I argued about it once more to the barmen and sked him once again to raise it to the bar management directly. Now here I was told that this ship refills and replenishes its drinks stock ONLY at Genoa!!! So it means these 2 sorts of draft beer will be not available till its return back to Genoa! And it was now clear that the last time the management simply missed or forgot to refill these 2 sorts of beer!!! This is simply non-professional.

So I went to reception and described them the situation. The funny thing was that both these 2 sorts of beer were available on board from the bottles! I offered the management to do the simple logical thing, which would have been done by any sound management at any bar in the world: start offering the bottled beer of the same sort to the customers to keep them happy. But it’s not about the MSC management! They don’t care about their clients and don’t want them to be happy! Instead, they not only do their work bad, forgetting to refill the stocks, but also don’t try to offer the other solutions in case of a problem! Even if the solution is such a simple one and offered by the clients themselves! SO, shortly speaking, they simply rejected my suggestion! So I was simply offered to pay for the same beer once more, which I already paid buying the Allegrissimo package! This is MSC service and attitude! “Truly Mediterranean”.

Back to the route, however. Now we were told that instead of Heraklion and Piraeus, we’ll be calling Istanbul and then after that we go to Piraeus, and then from Piraeus – back to Genoa. And instead of 2 days in Istanbul it was planned only one day stop there.

Additionally, we were told that we’ll get the 40% compensation for the ruined cruise plus 20% discount for the next booking at MSC. And to accept this we were asked to sign a special document. So we signed it and I also let it be stamped and confirmed by the reception. (after the extremely bad experience with MSC management and its lies about rectifying the issue with beer at the bar I have no more trust in MSC management words, so I better let them do everything in writing, signing and stamping it. This way it’s going to be much more effective if I go to the court or to my friends at the press).

The rest of the cruise went uneventfully, sitting 2 more days than planned at sea, and having no favorite beer in stock.

Then, after the way back home the story of compensation started.

On board of the ship we were told that the compensation will take place automatically, and it will be compensated back the same way as the cruise was paid. So, for us who paid it with a credit card – the money will be refunded back to the credit card.

After 2 weeks of waiting, beginning of January 2015, I contacted MSC with a question “where the money is?”. The answer was, that they never heard about it and they need a scanned copy of the documents I’ve got on board to clarify it internally. So I sent them the copies per email. After several days of waiting I was told by MSC that in order to pay it back they need me now to sign one more document that I agree on its conditions and that I additionally have to give them the bank details, so the payment will be done by a bank transfer. After almost 2 more weeks of waiting and one more call to MSC the new papers were finally sent to me per post and I filled them with my bank details and signed them once more off. Additionally, the MSC people told me that in order to proceed with the payment immediately, they need the scanned copy of those documents from me per email, so I don’t have to wait till the originals come per post. So I did it as I was told and provided the MSC with all the copies of the documents and bank details and all on 22.01.2015.

Today it’s already 18.02.2015. As you may expect, the money is still not paid, despite me writing or calling MSC every week since! This is one more excellent indication of how professional management MSC is and how it cares about its customers! One more display of the “Truly Mediterranean” way of doing business.

From my experience you may clearly understand I will never recommend anyone to book a cruise with MSC anymore!

And I've got a totally different experience from the same ship on the same route a few days later:

Having read your "review" I'm appalled at the treatment you received from MSC.

I suspect that management were winding down operations on Sinfonia as she was going into dry dock on 12/01/2015 to cut in half and stretched, but that is no excuse for the way they dealt with the situation.

The level of compensation is poor as well; my thinking would be a 100% refund was the only fair and equitable, failing that i would expect a 50% refund plus a 50% discount on a future cruise , valid for 24 months.

In the same situation I would vote with my feet as there are plenty of other cruise lines and ships to choose from.

Having said that i've never had a less than "good" experience with MSC and a few "excellent" cruises, in particular The Yacht Club on Divina and cruising the caribbean on Orchestra.

I hope they sort out your compensation quickly so you can book another cruise with some else, and I'm sorry to hear you were so badly let down.

I've had some great cruises with RCI and when I had an issue about a cruise their after-cruise service was brilliant, They even phoned me twice at home to ensure that i was happy with the resolution.

Good luck with your endeavours

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Well, to say I was absolutely and unexpectedly surprized with the management on Sinfonia is to say nothing. This was really a cold shower for me, hence it was not my first cruise with MSC. And from the other cruise the experience was also between Very Good to Excellent. But that was Splendida, and another route. The contrast between the organization and quality of the two cruises was overwhelming. Like two different companies. But the recent experience with Sinfonia totally negated everything positive I had with MSC in the past and for me is unforgivable now.