Qe2

statesidecruiser

In the past year or so, all the computer equipment has been replaced, so that it is no longer possible to use floppy disks or CDs. This means that all work has to be typed in at $1 per minute, and can only be saved by printing to paper, or emailed out. This makes doing serious amounts of work very expensive and impracticable. We are doing the full world cruise in 2006, and will be taking a laptop with us, which will also be useful for storing MP3s, and photographs. Most ports seem to have internet cafes at the quayside, which are cheaper and easier to use than the ship’s email. They also usually have good value landline telephone services. Incoming emails on QEII work very well, are free and are delivered to your cabin! This information was correct as at December 2004.

HTH

Peter

This is a step backward from the previous system, and at $1 per minute double the price on QM2. The worst thing is not being able to use Word for free. Looks like money making again for Cunard.

David.

In the past year or so, all the computer equipment has been replaced, so that it is no longer possible to use floppy disks or CDs. This means that all work has to be typed in at $1 per minute, and can only be saved by printing to paper, or emailed out. This makes doing serious amounts of work very expensive and impracticable. We are doing the full world cruise in 2006, and will be taking a laptop with us, which will also be useful for storing MP3s, and photographs. Most ports seem to have internet cafes at the quayside, which are cheaper and easier to use than the ship’s email. They also usually have good value landline telephone services. Incoming emails on QEII work very well, are free and are delivered to your cabin! This information was correct as at December 2004.

HTH

Peter

Peter B, I am very interested in your plan to take your laptop. I plan to do so too, but it is my understanding that there are no dataports for passenger use on the QE2. Yes, I can download photos, but can't access the internet. The internet cafes sound like the best solution for me... write copy on my laptop, save it to a CD and send it via the internet cafe.... I assume the internet cafes have the capability of launching a disk so that the data can be sent as an attachment. I guess an iridium phone with a dataport is the only other option.....Thank you for your input.

I am just back from QE2. The Computer Learning Centre is equipped with reasonably up-to-date Dell machines. Half of the machines are dedicated to learning and half to surfing.

The learning machines have some Microsoft Office applications, which are free to use, but you cannot print, email or save. The surfing machines can be used for web browsing and Microsoft Office. On the surfing machines both of these activities are charged for, but at least you can print.

It is not possible to connect you laptop to the Internet, compose an email offline or create an email attachment. The machines have no CD or floppy drives and have USB ports disabled.

Expensive and No seems to sum it up. The emphasis is on education activities and recreational browsing. I can email scanned copies of the information sheets they provide if you let me have your email. The best email to contact me on is stephenmorton at btinternet dot com.

The Business Centre may be more help. Unfortunately I did not get chance to visit. The ship can be emailed on qe2 at cunard dot com. If you put Business Centre in the Subject I am sure they would get it and respond to your questions.

Hope this helps,

Stephen.

I was on QE2 in July and had my laptop which was convenient for downloading digitial photos and composing our trip diary. I have a data connection on my Cingular telephone which sometimes would allow me to get "on line" while in port from my stateroom (slower than DSL but faster than dial up). It's a mystery as to why it works sometimes, other times not, I had data rates by country from Cingular before leaving The States. I could not send from Microsoft Outlook on my laptop, I had to go through Earthlink as if I were at an internet cafe or in the on board Computer Center.

Re: Business Center, same situation as Comp Ctr, no capacity for floppy or CD. Previous writer is correct, the order of the day is "expensive" and "no". I have to be in touch with my business (otherwise I'd not be able to travel) and 2 weeks on board cost me $250.

Re: Price, I thought I bought a package that was about $.50 minute. The service/speed much improved over the old computers/system on QE2 in prior years.

It seems they've made a few steps forward but a few steps backwards. It's ridicilious that you can't use a CD (I could have composed in my stateroom on my laptop) and that you have to pay the regular rate if you want to compose a Word document. Someone in the Bus. Center told me the reason for passengers not being able to use a CD or floppy is that the computer system is tied to the entire ship;s computer system and they couldn't risk a virus. I find it hard to believe the systems are not seperate. I love the ship QE2 and her officers and crew and the whole scenario of life aboard her but I hate these stupid things the management does on things that are so simple on other passenger ships.

I was recently on a Celebrity ship and their on board learning was so much better than what QE2 offers, at least for my interests anyway. They had Adobe Photoshop with progressive levels. Geared towards digital photos. There was a charge, you had to reserve (and pay if no show) but the glasses were worthwhile and I still refer to the printed handouts from time to time. I still love QE2 tho!

Archived