'Twas the Week Before Christmas – A seasonal review of the Silhouette

cruisinskier

Thanks for a very complete review. From appearances, your cruise was off the hook.

We were on the Nov. 30 Silhouette cruise and had a great time also.

Hi OuiOnboard,

Glad you are enjoying the review and that you enjoyed your time on the Silhouette! More of my review to come shortly....

Jerry

As we were arriving in Falmouth, the ship started turning until the back of the ship was facing the port....we were going to back into the pier! Our aft cabin was the perfect spot to watch us arrive.....

DSC02261.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02268.jpg

The view sitting on our balcony

DSC02273.jpg

DSC02264.jpg

How cool that you had a front row seat on your deck watching the ship back in!

I'm curious to see what you guys ended up doing at this port as I don't think we'd repeat what we did last time there.

Hi again Sparky, thanks for sticking with me on this review! It was neat to watch us backing into the pier....there is definite skill involved in guiding the ship into port!

We actually didn't do too much here, but more on that shortly....

Jerry

Activity was picking up around the port as they prepared for the arriving guests.

Shore excursion vehicles were lining up at the port

DSC02297.jpg

The morning police briefing....

DSC02305.jpg

A market just outside the gates of the port

DSC02335.jpg

DSC02339.jpg

The contrast of a fancy port area when you look a few blocks inland...

DSC02340.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

We found that moving up one deck to the Sunset Bar area, there was lots of seating with very few people...a great place to just relax and watch the port area....

DSC02332.jpg

There were a couple of tables that looked at first like there could be fire pits in the centre....turns out they are just stone under glass....

DSC02343.jpg

DSC02346.jpg

DSC02336.jpg

DSC02337.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

So now that we had arrived in Jamaica, what were our plans for the day? Well, to be honest, we had no plans. We had been to Jamaica twice before and we had a couple of negative experiences here where both times we had arranged tours (both private, not via the ship) and they had tried to charge us much more than originally provided in writing. It just left a bad image with us and frankly my wife was not overly happy when I mentioned we would be stopping back in Jamaica.

We had looked at doing a day at a resort however it was well over $500 for the 4 of us and we had just had a similar day in Grand Cayman the day before. We also thought about just staying on the ship and enjoying the calm day while others were off exploring. In the end, we did end up exploring the new port area for a couple of hours before returning and enjoying the ship.

DSC02356.jpg

DSC02357.jpg

DSC02358.jpg

DSC02359.jpg

DSC02360.jpg

DSC02361.jpg

DSC02362.jpg

DSC02363.jpg

Lots of shops here...

DSC02364.jpg

DSC02365.jpg

DSC02367.jpg

We found this store was very open to negotiation and after price checking around the port, we returned later to buy rum cakes and coffee here as gifts. They were much less than other spots in port and a substantial discount from the posted cost!

DSC02368.jpg