Re-Imagined Disney Magic vs. Disney Fantasy

cruising_Bif

Yes, I've done both. I was most recently on the Magic in September, 2014.

Honestly, I think it depends on your family. If I had a teen, I'd probably be more into the high tech on the Fantasy. As it is, I prefer the Magic.

Magic is smaller, and for us it is more friendly and easier. If you are going to Castaway, the difference in population is very obvious--before the Dream launched, the guest areas of the island were expanded to handle 4000+ guests. When the Magic docks with 2500 or so, there is NO issue of getting an umbrella, etc.

The biggest differences between the before and after re-imagining are the addition of the Aqua-Dunk, update of Animator's, and the loss of "secret" deck 7. Beyond that, the changes are largely in decor. Oh, and the addition of Marvel Academy (including one of the real costumes from the movie in a plexiglass case!) The Magic is the only ship with this feature. Of course, that description only helps if you have been on the Magic before.

The Fantasy is GORGEOUS, high tech, and totally marvelous. She is also big and only one of our CM "friends" was on board. Midship detective agency is fun for all ages. Satellite falls is nice. The Palo restroom is unbelievable. Having the beverage stations midship is convenient for all locations. BUT it wasn't our cozy, friendly ship. It didn't feel like "home," it felt like a business. We were a cog to be managed, not a welcomed guest. Also, the number of kids on board seemed more obvious than on the Magic. The kids trashed the ice cream station despite a CM doing almost constant clean up duty there, and the parents were no where to be seen. There is a chunk of concierge cabins at the far forward area that has no real access to the pool deck other than traipsing kids thru the adult only area. I know, they walk thru on the Magic as well, but I honestly felt that these guests had no really viable option as opposed to those on the Magic who are just disregarding the signs. Everywhere I turned, I felt that someone was trying to upsell something--"enhanced" spa, bigger photo packages, etc. I never felt pushed to buy on the Magic. Aqua-DUCK is fun for all ages, even "chicken" old ladies. (daughter would say that I'm not old, but.....) Mini golf, sports simulator, etc. are all fun things. Nothing WRONG with the Fantasy at all; it just didn't have the same friendly feel that we always get on the Magic. There was a screw up in our Fantasy reservation that took 4 days and intervention from an officer to get fixed! We did not get invited to the platinum reception nor any of the perks till this person took care of it despite being more than "double platinum."

In fairness, we were on the maiden voyage of the Magic and she has always been "our" ship. We like some of the changes and dislike others, but that is largely personal preference. Boarding the Magic always feels like coming home for us. I really don't like the AquaDUNK; I feel safer in the raft. But again, I'm not a brave teenager. She is obviously smaller and lacks some of the high tech of the Fantasy. But from the minute I step onto the Magic, I know that nothing will occur that can't be managed/fixed, whatever.

I guess what says it best is that I currently have 3 cruises booked--all on the Magic.