Carnival Breeze December 6, 2014 Review

VegasMark

Hello all - Since I know many of you are hungry for reviews much like I was before sailing, I offer my review of the Breeze below. I will keep tabs on this post for a week or so and field any questions you may have. Enjoy your cruise!!

• Background information

I took this cruise with a single college friend of mine (I’m married, but I like to cruise more than my wife and she was tied up with work). We are both in our late 30s and have each been on many cruises. This is my 20th cruise and I’ve been on most of the major lines.

• Ship information

In short, the ship is outstanding. The crew has done a great job of keeping her in tip-top shape. There are many interesting areas of the ship which I will touch on later. There were more unique sitting areas on this ship than any other I’ve been on. For example, the Deck 5 Lanai area is unusual in that it has hot tubs. There is also the fee-free Serenity adult area complete with its own hot tubs, hammocks, and clam shell seating. The Sports Square area is also very cool with pool tables, foosball, ping pong, bean bag toss, ropes course, and mini-golf.

• Activities

In my opinion, Carnival does an excellent job with activities. Although they may not have the same investment into facilities as say Royal Caribbean with ice skating rinks and FlowRiders, they make up for it with exceptionally run activities. For example, Carnival had a social staff person running sports competitions like they were Olympic events. One social host (Regan – totally committed to his job and super nice), was doing play-by-play over a mic during a bean bag toss competition. Dodge ball was closely monitored by Regan or Cruz. As an active guest, I appreciate the organization and dedication. I’ve been on Princess cruises where the daily schedule shows something like “Volleyball with fellow guests”, and a staff member does not even show up. Not so on Carnival. If they advertise an activity, there will be a staff member there to keep it running smoothly. I should also mention that there is a lot of trivia on this ship, so if you like that sort of thing, you are in luck!

• Service

It would be really hard to ding Carnival on service. I could go on and on, but in an effort to keep it short, I’ll just say that I really have no complaints. Whenever I needed anything, I was taken care of.

• Port & shore excursions

We did not do any excursions planned through the ship, but we did do something at every port. Please see my port reviews for specifics.

• Travel to embarkation Port

I’m from the western part of the country, but traveled to Miami after visiting family in the northeast (where my friend also lives). We decided to fly in on the day of the cruise. While I was a little concerned about this given it was December, I just booked the earliest non-stop flight, and it was fine. We really liked the ability to check in for the cruise at the airport. Carnival runs two desks at different baggage claim areas of Miami Airport, and you can obtain your key card and check in there. Once you get to the port, you just show your card and stamped papers and then go through security. You will be able to board at the same time as Zone 1 (those who were earliest to check in at the port). Definitely check in at the airport if you are flying in on the day of sailing.

• Cabin

In an effort to save money, we booked a category 1A stateroom. I was careful to make sure that this was not a bunk bed room. Cabin 2207 has a regular bed and a sofa bed. The room is more or less square. It is the second room from the front of the ship. We noticed minimal noise, but there is some vibration when you come into port. Still, I’d book this room again vs. spending a couple hundred more for a regular room on Deck 1 or 2, or even a higher deck. I got plenty of exercise as I only took the elevator once (I had to for a photo scavenger hunt). I was trying to find some information about this specific room, because it is a unique 1A. So to satisfy the next guy who was as curious as I was, here is the room layout. The entry door wall of the room shares wall space with the bathroom. Going clockwise, the next wall has the regular bed. The next wall has the sofa bed. The final wall has the desk, tv, and closets. The sofa bed was not quite as comfortable as the regular bed, but with a foam pad it was pretty close. We liked the open space in the center of this room, and found it to be a great value.

• Dining

Dining on this ship was excellent. Try to find a ship with more free options at lunch. Guy’s Burgers were as advertised – outstanding! I had one seven out of eight days. They were heavenly! The Blue Iguana Cantina was also very good with fresh, tasty ingredients. My friend and I would generally order three appetizers, two entrees, and two desserts each at dinner. So over eight nights (we ate in the MDR every night), that makes 56 items that I ordered. I had minor issues with maybe two of those items. I think that is pretty darned good when considering they prepare food for up to 4,000 diners.

• Entertainment

I really enjoyed what the ship offered for entertainment. The production shows were very good. The comedy shows were exceptional. Other lines just give you one or two comedians who do a couple shows each. Carnival gives you four comedians who do about four shows each (both family and adult). Another outstanding value! Matt, the cruise director, was one of the best I’ve ever seen. He is very visible on the ship and very well received. We liked that he was dressed casually most of the time, but still very sharp. Some cruise directors are stuffy and wear suits every day. Matt is much more low key and the impression is that he cares more and is more relatable. Any of the shows he hosted were a hoot! We also really liked the 4D Theater. We paid the extra $15 for this option (unlimited shows), and it was so worth it! We saw all of the shows – and all were good – so we definitely got our money’s worth. We also really enjoyed the water slides. They were a blast for kids and adults alike.

• Disembarkation

I disembarked relatively early using self-assist. I was off the ship about five minutes after leaving my room, and through Customs after another ten minutes. Very easy!

• Summary

I read a number of reviews on this site before sailing (probably well over 100). Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I will provide you with some of my reflections on where the reviews were right and where they were wrong.

Food – The food was overall a great success. I recall one reviewer saying “the food has no taste”. I don’t know if this reviewer tragically lost his tongue to some especially hot soup or what, but I don’t know how you can make that blanket statement. I love food, and I loved the food on this ship.

Lines – Many reviewers did say that were a lot of lines on this ship, and that is essentially true. I sometimes wondered if I’d encounter a line to get into my cabin at night. Yes there are lines, but it isn’t the end of the world. Carnival is able to offer great pricing because their passenger to space ratio is lower than most other lines. They offer a great product and I personally don’t mind the occasional wait. A lot of people said the comedy club had lines and you couldn’t get in. This is not true. We went to five shows and we only stood up once. Yes, you will need to be there 10-20 minutes early, but you can get a seat. Even if you can’t find a seat, you can still watch while standing in the back or on the side. Moving these shows to the main theater would not be possible due to other events in the theater. I also enjoyed the ambiance of the comedy club.

Production shows – I thought these were pretty good, although a lot of people have negative comments. I thought the singing was generally very good. Yes, you now have eight singer/dancers instead of dedicated singers and dedicated dancers, but they obviously use the best singers to do the lead parts and the others as backup. The use of sets with the high resolution screens was amazing technology. See the Brits show especially, and you will know what I mean. I thought the screens were underused for the Motown show, but otherwise they did a really good job. If nixing the show orchestra and lavish sets/costumes saves us all a few bucks on our cruise fare, I’m all for it.

Pools – Yes, the pools are small and can be crowded. I’m not much of a pool guy, so this didn’t affect me much. Still, I didn’t notice them to be horribly crowded. My friend even swam laps a couple times. There are plenty of hot tubs, and they were generally not full.

As I mentioned, I’ve been on many lines and I’m not loyal to any one. I think they all do different things a little better than others. In short, no one does value better than Carnival. If you want a great product at a great price, the victor is Carnival!

• Ports

Grand Turk - Great stop similar to a private island. Go right off the pier for a quieter space. Beach chairs are free and you will not be hassled. You can also access the pool at Margaritaville for free.

San Juan - Lots to do in San Juan. We did the Baccardi Factory tour. Note that as of November 2014, it is no longer a free tour. It is $12 for a basic tour with one drink or $35 for an expanded tour with four drinks. Google how to get there on your own. Cost is $7 total round trip for both the ferry and shared taxi.

St. Maarten - Good port with a little of everything. You can walk to the beach in 15-20 minutes or else take a ferry for unlimited trips for $8ish. Beach sections are individually run by vendors, so you will be charged for chairs.

St. Thomas - This port has just about everything. We rented a Windrider 17 sailboat from West Indies Windsurfing for $80 for one hour. Good guys over there. Taxi was $10 each way per person. From there, you can walk to Ritz or Sapphire Beach.

Thanks for the post! I am going in April on the Breeze for an 8 day. When you checked in from the airport did you use Carnival transportation or did you just catch a cab?

We caught a cab because there were two of us. Flat rate taxi is $24 for all and Carnival charges $16 each for transfers.

Hi Mark! I was on your cruise too, and originally I had 2208. I was very curious to see what the room looked like because there's not a lot online about those rooms. Once my friend decided to join me, I bumped up to an oceanview but I'll definitely give that 1A a shot if I really do decide to do it again solo. Thanks for the description! :D

Thanks! We sail her (not) soon enough.

Can you tell me a little more about the 4-D movies?? I never read much about them. I assume we will get the kids the unlimited pass and maybe use too.

I wouldn't want to give away too much about the 4D theater, as there are some surprises that make it fun. The shows range from Sponge Bob to Planet Earth to roller coaster rides. I think there were 6 or 7 different shows. Both kids and adults seemed to love it. I usually don't pay extra for stuff like this, but it is definitely worth the cost.

Hi Mark! I was on your cruise too, and originally I had 2208. I was very curious to see what the room looked like because there's not a lot online about those rooms. Once my friend decided to join me, I bumped up to an oceanview but I'll definitely give that 1A a shot if I really do decide to do it again solo. Thanks for the description! :D

Glad you were able to go with a friend! I would have gone solo if my friend couldn't go, but I'm really glad he could. We actually thought we saw you one night, but it wasn't you. I wanted you to meet my friend since he lives in NYC.

Wife and I live in houston and have always done carnival cruises from houston. I celebrated my 50th birthday on magic 2 weeks ago and son got married on magic in 2012. We are considering booking breeze out of miami for december 2015 because i want to hit San juan. Now we are kinda worried about flying to miami to cruise. Also, the difference between Splendor and breeze?

Carnival gives out keys at airport? explain...lol

Wife and I live in houston and have always done carnival cruises from houston. I celebrated my 50th birthday on magic 2 weeks ago and son got married on magic in 2012. We are considering booking breeze out of miami for december 2015 because i want to hit San juan. Now we are kinda worried about flying to miami to cruise. Also, the difference between Splendor and breeze?

Carnival gives out keys at airport? explain...lol

The short answer on differences is that the Breeze is similar to the Magic and the Splendor is somewhere in between the Conquest and the Breeze. The Splendor is great, but the Breeze offers a lot more. It is a short flight for you to Miami, and you have so many more options there plus you can sail the Eastern Caribbean. Definitely worth a try!

Loved the Breeze! It is now my favorite Carnival ship. I did the transatlantic on her a couple of years ago. You can see lots of pictures if you click on the review link below in my signature.

I started looking at some of your pics. Love it. Got me more excited on possibly booking december eastern Caribbean cruise for 2015.

I started looking at some of your pics. Love it. Got me more excited on possibly booking december eastern Caribbean cruise for 2015.

You know you wanna LOL... Seriously I don't think you'll regret it...the ship is gorgeous and I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.;)

• 2 weeks later...
Glad you were able to go with a friend! I would have gone solo if my friend couldn't go, but I'm really glad he could. We actually thought we saw you one night, but it wasn't you. I wanted you to meet my friend since he lives in NYC.

Did you happen to have dinner in the Sapphire room, YTD? It's funny, I mentioned to my friend that I wondered if it was you because there were two guys having dinner together - laughing and having a great time! We had a late dinner almost every night then went to the atrium to dance to the Mambo Kings until they finished their sets. God I would love to be back there right now... :D