Castaway Cay question

txtwinmom

We are traveling with special needs sin (23 but think 7) and the only excursion he wants to do it go to the beach which is fine with us because of some mobility issues. We probably won't stay all day but I do want some shade while we are there. Are there beach umbrellas and chairs or so we have to have the cabana for this? Thanks for answers. Btw we will probably be at adult area most if the time we are there, especially for lunch.

Thank you for your quick reply. We probably won't use the wheelchair. He is ambulatory; he just can't do long distances easily but he can handle the tram and the sand pretty well with assistance. He is so excited for this. He has almost every Disney character shift plush toy including Clarabell the vow which he go this year! but I told him he could only take five of them on the trip, otherwise all of them would be coming and we would have to pay for extra luggage! Lol

I guess I should also add that there are lounge chairs and non lounge type chairs next to each umbrella. The lunch area in Serenity Bay (adult only area) was shady, pleasant and well maintained as far as cleanliness at the tables and food lines goes. Very nice experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All of the above--umbrellas, trees, chairs are available at no additional charge at both the family and adult beaches. If he is able/wants to do Pelican Plunge, that is located on the family beach. Cookies (family food outlet) is also good--has more lines and waiting typically than Serenity Bay food (adult only), but the lines move quickly.

With your mobility issues in mind, the farther down the beaches you walk, the better the availability. Beach wheelchairs are HARD to push when a full sized adult is seated in one (even a small woman). At age 50 something, I couldn't push my friend. We ended up using her regular wheelchair and sticking to the paved paths.

There are special plushies on the ship....just a thought. You CAN keep him out of the gift shops if you are lucky.