Customs question

telli01

Hi everyone! We haven't sailed since 2009 and I know some things have changed. There was a time when you would have to go through customs if you stopped at a non US port followed by a US port. Is that still the case? We are on the Splendor in March and our first stop is Nassau followed by St Thomas. If we do, what should we expect? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi everyone! We haven't sailed since 2009 and I know some things have changed. There was a time when you would have to go through customs if you stopped at a non US port followed by a US port. Is that still the case? We are on the Splendor in March and our first stop is Nassau followed by St Thomas. If we do, what should we expect? Thanks for your help!

Your ship is still required to be screened by CBP if you visit a United States port of call after a foreign port.

However, the U.S.V.I. is a territory and you will not be required to go through customs until your cruise is over.

Your ship is still required to be screened by CBP if you visit a United States port of call after a foreign port.

However, the U.S.V.I. is a territory and you will not be required to go through customs until your cruise is over.

Ok so we would since we travel to Nassau first? What does that process look like?

Ok so we would since we travel to Nassau first? What does that process look like?

Back in the day, I remember having to wake up early one morning to go through a customs check on the ship after visiting a non-U.S. port. Now all passengers go through customs at debarkation. At some ports it's before luggage is retrieved and at others it's after luggage is retrieved.

Passengers receive customs forms on the last night of the cruise. They are filled in and given to the customs agents along with passport or identification and birth certificate. It's much better this way, even though the lines can be slow.

I used to hate having to go to the show lounge at 7:00 A.M. with the family's documents and wait, and wait, and wait...

Back in the day, I remember having to wake up early one morning to go through a customs check on the ship after visiting a non-U.S. port. Now all passengers go through customs at debarkation. At some ports it's before luggage is retrieved and at others it's after luggage is retrieved.

Passengers receive customs forms on the last night of the cruise. They are filled in and given to the customs agents along with passport or identification and birth certificate. It's much better this way, even though the lines can be slow.

I used to hate having to go to the show lounge at 7:00 A.M. with the family's documents and wait, and wait, and wait...

I'm guessing you haven't done the Carnival Ecstasy's early sailings going to Nassau then Key West before returning to Miami. Have you? You are required to clear customs when visiting a USA port after a foreign port.

What part of "however, the U.S.V.I. is a territory and you will not be required to go through customs until your cruise is over" did you not understand?

It used to be that you had to stand in line before going to say like St Thomas after stopping at a non US port with your documents and get checked off the list. It was a royal PITA and it took forever. Thankfully it is no longer like that. You only do it when debarking the ship for the final time now.

It used to be that you had to stand in line before going to say like St Thomas after stopping at a non US port with your documents and get checked off the list. It was a royal PITA and it took forever. Thankfully it is no longer like that. You only do it when debarking the ship for the final time now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41077910&postcount=12

Thanks!

What part of "however, the U.S.V.I. is a territory and you will not be required to go through customs until your cruise is over" did you not understand?

Really? After 9/11 I remember people having to go through customs in St Thomas after visiting the Bahamas, territory or not. No need to have an attitude.

Edited by telli01

I think this is referring to a past practice...after visiting a non US port then calling on St Thomas YOU WERE REQUIRED to go through a customs check onboard the ship if you planed to go ashore. This practice is not enforce any longer, so it will be no different than any other port call. YOU WILL go through customs the morning of disembarkation.

Really? After 9/11 I remember people having to go through customs in St Thomas after visiting the Bahamas, territory or not. No need to have an attitude.

Times have changed, bud.

There wasn't an "attitude" involved... just a simple question of which part you didn't understand. ;)