Post-cruise accessible cab to the airport

TJ O'Pootertoot

Hi all - In March we're taking our first cruise with my daughter, who is in a wheelchair. there are all sorts of logistics we're pondering and they're occurring to me in no particular order but this is one:

Getting a wheelchair accessible cab to the port (Miami) seems easy enough BUT what do you do about getting one after the cruise, however? Are there typically any waiting there among the other cabs? Should one just arrange a reservation at the same time as the to-the-port cab? And how do you do that if you're not sure what time you're getting off the boat?

Just trying to give us one less thing to worry about :)

Thanks!

I can't speak for Miami but in Ft. Lauderdale, it seemed like every 5th cab or so was an accessible one. The problem is, whoever lines up first gets it. You can try making a reservation with Super Shuttle or, if you get a wheelchair cab from the airport, ask the driver for their card and ask them to pick you up. That is what we did and it worked very well.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all - In March we're taking our first cruise with my daughter' date=' who is in a wheelchair. there are all sorts of logistics we're pondering and they're occurring to me in no particular order but this is one:

Getting a wheelchair accessible cab to the port (Miami) seems easy enough BUT what do you do about getting one [i']after[/i] the cruise, however? Are there typically any waiting there among the other cabs? Should one just arrange a reservation at the same time as the to-the-port cab? And how do you do that if you're not sure what time you're getting off the boat?

Just trying to give us one less thing to worry about :)

Thanks!

For the cab to the port, did you make arrangements in advance? If so through who? We are taking my father in law and have to look at airport transport

We have had no problem getting accessible taxi's right at the pier in either Miami or FLL....however, the rudest taxi driver we have ever had was in FLL. It was such a bad experience that I would hesitate to ever use their Yellow Cab again. Seriously horrible....he screamed at us that we didn't tip him enough to load our wheelchair user....and we did tip him 20% of the ride but I guess he thought he deserved more. That said, it was one driver and one bad experience. The rest have been fine.